Are Paste floats a waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geofflukins

I have always used dedicated paste floats but find that they are always "too long" especially when using paste in the summer months where you are always (mostly) fishing shallow swims of about 18 inches to 2 foot in depth. I have now switched over to small floats which are just as effective. Okay there are some draw backs such as not detecting when the paste has come off or when you get a lift bite but I think that the advantages of using a smaller float outweighs them all. What do others think and what floats do you use apart from dedicated paste floats?

shish0000

The long paste floats are only really designed for fishing paste in deep water: long line or bottom of the shelf. If you're fishing paste in shallow swims have a look at the kc carpa margin paste floats. They've got a long bristle but the long stem is replaced by a much shorter heavy wire stem for stability. I use them for paste fishing shallow swims and reckon they're the dogs danglies.

batman

Originally posted by shish0000

........have a look at the kc carpa margin paste floats.

These are great, I had 2 for a while. Lost them both recenly, not seen them about in the shops but keep lookin.

shish0000

I got mine off matchmansupplies.com ordered a bulk of around 40 floats. They arrived 2 days later and it's free delivery on any order.

Bill G

Grandad
if im fishing down the edge with paste and its less than a couple of feet deep i use a maver blob and fish it sub surface so if the paste comes off or a fish picks it up then i strike ,if the fish just roars off then they hook thereselves against the pole tip.
for paste fishing out in deeper water then i use maver ice paste floats as the long bristle shows up bites really well.[:T][:T]

batman

Originally posted by wigan_angler

Think Leigh tackle sell them stu

looked there mate, thats where i got them 1st, none in.[:(]

batman

Originally posted by shish0000

I got mine off matchmansupplies.com ordered a bulk of around 40 floats. They arrived 2 days later and it's free delivery on any order.

I would do but I don't want another 40 pole floats.[:eek:)] I won't use the free delivery for just a couple of floats either. I feel it would be somehow takin the mick.[:p]

chris grant

have a butchers at the frenzee ones,margin floats, short but have a longish bristle, really good

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't think it makes any difference. Float goes under I strike.

If you want a reasonably priced "paste" float try the Pasters on here http://www.buygoodtackle.com/Floats.html 10 for 9 post free.

I just use the BGT1 in shallow water or the long version at 0.5g in deeper water. Last two evening matches I have fished I came 1st and 2nd on paste. First at depth, second shallow up the far bank.

Last edited:

adderton2

I just use a light float with no shot. Plumb to cock as normal with plumb on bottom. Apply past and it cocks when past settles. If past comes off, then float lays flat, ditto with lift bite.. Always trike anyway. Foolproof

Status
Not open for further replies.