Are newcomers missing out on vital skills?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Always liked longbow... right up till I knackerd my arm drawing a Mary Rose replica war bow (160lb draw) bloomin accurate with an 80lb draw too

Arry

Site Supporter
Whilst the thread has diverged from the OP it is now mirroring similar threads on development, coaching, national bodies, etc that I see on a forum dedicated to my other hobby - archery.

As an archer my national fees are £45 p.a. with club membership of £30 p.a. - EA licence is less but there isn’t a fishing club around me with annual fees less than £120 even if they didn’t have full books and huge waiting lists.

I am a Level 2 accredited coach, something that cost around £1000 of my own money to attain as one has to progress from basic to level 1 to level 2. I receive no payment for my coaching and it actually stops me from shooting.

We get a fair level of new archers through but very few stick - progression through AGB classification is rapid at the beginning but the grade curve is incredibly steep which is where we see the dropout. Archer, 3rd class & 2nd class would usually be achievable within 6 months for an average new archer - This is akin to having successful sessions on a commie then hitting a spell of constant blanks.

Juniors are normally lost to school pressures around 11+, GCSE or A Level years.

1st class and Bowman (highest club attainment) require a significant investment in equipment and may take 6-12 months. To reach Master Bowman (top 5% nationally) or Grand Master Bowman (top 2% nationally) one must travel and enter a minimum of three record status comps AND that is for each bowstyle you shoot.

I’m GMB longbow, MB barebow and Olympic recurve BUT if I want to retain that I have to reclassify every year with the associated time & cost implications. Coaching on top can make a fun hobby a chore plus we don’t get paid to coach it’s all voluntary.

AGB are criticised for being totally focussed on Olympic success (which brings in lottery funding) and ignoring grass roots club development - justified but what organisational body doesn’t get that grief?

Even with a national governing body, a county level structure below that and local club structure the sport is far from being in a good state - I don’t get the feeling angling will be any different if they go down a similar route.
Why can they not just accept that folks like to target shoot yet not aspire to the upper echelons of the sport...? Seems rather short sighted at best

JLK

When I saw the post... Take a prince fishing I thought. Are you having a laugh. I have no interest in the AT.
All I know it's that I pay a licence fee to the EA and I begrudgingly do that as I see this as another form of tax for having a hobby/pastime. To me fishing isn't a sport. Even with the competitive element I don't recognise it as being a sport. What do you think?

Arry

Site Supporter
To me its a pastime... I used to fish competitively, but I've never REALLY considered it a sport... more a competitive hobby... thing is most of us refer to it as a sport...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
To me fishing isn't a sport. Even with the competitive element I don't recognise it as being a sport. What do you think?
Definitely a hobby/pastime to me. It doesn’t need to be competitive to exist and in most forms it’s not competitive plus the competitive side wasn’t part of its origins as far as I’m aware although I could be wrong there. Plus sport suggests a degree of reasonable fitness and exertion being required of which yes some is required but not to the extent of any proper sport.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Lots of free fishing in Norfolk and accessible too, still very few youngsters.

Think about it, a youngster only has to switch on an electronic device to find entertainment.

JLK

Think about it, a youngster only has to switch on an electronic device to find entertainment.
And therein lies the problem. Fifa21 or Call of Duty 52 are the entertainment of choice nowadays for kids. My generation didn't have that when we were children. Well we did have consoles as such but there was no internet like there is now hence why fishing was a popular pastime along with football, rugby, cricket etc.
If there had have been. I think the average age of an angler would be about 65 now and not 55

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

Got a couple extra fingers to play those devices with in Norfolk as well 😉

Think I can say that as was nearly born a Norfolk boy 😂
And therein lies the problem. Fifa21 or Call of Duty 52 are the entertainment of choice nowadays for kids. My generation didn't have that when we were children. Well we did have consoles as such but there was no internet like there is now hence why fishing was a popular pastime along with football, rugby, cricket etc.
If there had have been. I think the average age of an angler would be about 65 now and not 55
I think my age group just about escaped the video game social media indoctrination. It only really became quite big when we were about 14-15 and smarts phones and social media a year or two later so we’d already got our established hobbies like fishing and sport so new fangled things just became additions to hobbies rather than replacements. I guess the problem now is that kids start in those things before they are even old enough for sports and what not 🤔

smiffy

Site Supporter

I’ve said this before but another hurdle to overcome is that a lot of parents today would rather play on their Xbox,PlayStation,phone or tablet than take their kids fishing.

Arry

Site Supporter
I think that without the boom in commercial carping in the noughties, Angling would be on its arse... and to be honest... angling on rivers and canals already is...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think that without the boom in commercial carping in the noughties, Angling would be on its arse... and to be honest... angling on rivers and canals already is...
I’m not so sure it would be nationwide. Here we hardly have commercials it’s all river and specimen carping with a bit of fly fishing thrown in. Plus around other big river systems like the severn, wye, Trent, broads not to mention the coasts angling is still thriving off those systems. Commercials are handy where there wasn’t much fishing to start with but certainly not essential where there were such resources.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
When I saw the post... Take a prince fishing I thought. Are you having a laugh. I have no interest in the AT.
All I know it's that I pay a licence fee to the EA and I begrudgingly do that as I see this as another form of tax for having a hobby/pastime. To me fishing isn't a sport. Even with the competitive element I don't recognise it as being a sport. What do you think?
In the modern day it has to be listed as a sport otherwise the do-gooder anti's would have won their case and have it banned alongside fox hunting if angling was just a pastime. We all really know it to be a hobby/pastime as in Isaac Waltons' day. "A contemplative mans recreation" as written in the Compleat Angler. By labelling it as a sport today, we have a lot more clout as to environmental issues and receive government funding of a few £million to support angling and its UK economy of £3billion plus. But to the 'average' angler what does it matter; call it what you like.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's such a shame that Angling, like some other recreational activities (Yup I know that for some it's more than that) has fallen victim (as someone said earlier) to the likes of texting, PS4, Xbox, and Social media (or the internet). There is an abundance of healthy fresh air and an education out there on our waters, natural or otherwise, but there it is! I guess with that sort of competition around getting youngsters even interested in Angling is a challenge in itself! There does seem some mileage in getting kids involved as part of an anti pollution campaign for rivers and lakes so at least there is some hope for the future preservation of waterfowl and river/lake dependent species. How angling fits into that is difficult to see!

I dropped out a bit in the early noughties after my stepson died who was a keen angler from the age of about 11, but did carry on river fishing for a while. After my second MI, I started on commercials which is where most of my activity is now confined to.

Last edited:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
There does seem some mileage in getting kids involved as part of an anti pollution campaign for rivers and lakes so at least there is some hope for the future preservation of waterfowl and river/lake dependent species. How angling fits into that is difficult to see!
Without angling there would be no reason to have the EA Fisheries Dept. Just the EA.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"severn, wye, Trent, broads not to mention the coasts angling is still thriving off those systems"
Not on the Severn it's not and there are long stretches of the Lower that have been lost to a variety of reasons.
The river in general does not see anywhere near the same amount of traffic that it did 10 years ago and even on some of the once prolific Barbel Alley stretches, in the middle of Summer it is easy to get a peg.
I fished twelve times on three different "known" Lower big Barbel stretches this season and on seven of those I shared the stretch with only a couple of other anglers. One of the stretches is run by the Barbel Society and is home to some exceptional sized fish.

I would say the same applies to the Broads as well as we don't seem to read many reports from anglers going to this region and having great days.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Without angling there would be no reason to have the EA Fisheries Dept. Just the EA.
Thanks- Now I realise something I hadn't thought about before - didn't know there was a fisheries dept in the EA. Was that the one that cocked up the Royal Military canal work a few years back, and the flooding at Yalding forcing the EA to restock with fish from a farm around the boatyard?

Arry

Site Supporter
wouldn't surprise me they are one of the biggest culprits for pollution and cock ups in the country

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
"severn, wye, Trent, broads not to mention the coasts angling is still thriving off those systems"
Not on the Severn it's not and there are long stretches of the Lower that have been lost to a variety of reasons.
The river in general does not see anywhere near the same amount of traffic that it did 10 years ago and even on some of the once prolific Barbel Alley stretches, in the middle of Summer it is easy to get a peg.
I fished twelve times on three different "known" Lower big Barbel stretches this season and on seven of those I shared the stretch with only a couple of other anglers. One of the stretches is run by the Barbel Society and is home to some exceptional sized fish.

I would say the same applies to the Broads as well as we don't seem to read many reports from anglers going to this region and having great days.
Yeah tbf I don’t have any experience of the lower Severn but on the middle reaches its always seemed fairly busy when I’ve been around that way which admittedly isn’t often. So many pleasure anglers on some bits that you’d think matches were on and certainly getting fishing accommodation around there is a challenge definitely more supply than demand.

My experience of the broads is a bit outdated but certainly 10 years ago it was very busy. Unless it’s fallen off a cliff I’d imagine there’s still a sustainable amount left.

It’s thriving here that’s for sure you can be on the Thames or a carp pit any day of the season and have at least a few other anglers for company and they can get proper busy at prime times.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The problem with the EA is they are always under governmental pressure which conflicts with the reason the body was created in the first place.
There are stretches of the Severn & Teme that have undergone "river management" to alleviate the flooding risks in the surrounding area and this has come at a cost to the habitat and in the case of the Teme destruction of vital cover.
Cover which at least offered some protection from otters.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
""severn, wye, Trent, broads not to mention the coasts angling is still thriving off those systems""

Oh Silver you are a one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You made the statement above and have now followed it up with
"Yeah tbf I don’t have any experience of the lower Severn but on the middle reaches its always seemed fairly busy. "
"My experience of the broads is a bit outdated but certainly 10 years ago it was very busy. "

You don't really know do you,so why say it? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: