Are feeder rods, ledger rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyeater

Sorry to seem thick (cos I am [:D]), but all I've done is float fishing really.

My son and I recently joined a local club (WACAC) and there are very deep ponds holding bream, tench etc. Its too deep for you to float fish the bottom, so I was considering some ledgering or is that feeder fishing?

Anyway, having never done it, whats the best way, best value equipment and whats a quiver tip (how does it work)?

Thanks folks. [:D]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
YES. A feeder rod is just a heavy leger rod that has been designed to cast the heavier weight of a feeder.
A swim feeder is just a fancy leger that you can use to get groundbait, free offerings etc to your swim.
There are several different types of feeder.
Open end, including cage feeders, used for groundbait, a plug of ground bait in one end fill with maggots then another plug of groundbaait to finish.
Closed, these are for use with maggots just fill and cast out.
Method feeders, for use with a methord mix.
When fishing the feeder cast the feeder several times in the first 10 or 15 mins., to get out some bait. Then refill on every cast. If you think enough bait has gone in then the feeder can be replaced by a leger the same rig set up can be used for both.

chill out go fishing

Last edited:

Beebs

A quiver tip is a very fine, sensitive tip to a feeder rod. Because it is so fine, it shows up up bites a lot easier than a conventional rod tip. As for which rod CLICK HERE and see what others have had to say on this one.

Quiver tipping is good fun when you fancy a change from the float. I had a cracking session quiver tipping for perch on my local lake last summer. Plus a good tench on a quiver rod puts up one helluva scrap.

BlythMags

Happyeater:

I take it, we're talking Horton Grange here?

I would purchase a couple of small open-ended feeder (fine for stillwater but it may be better to use cage or blockend feeder for rivers as the flow will probably realease the grounbait too early)
and attach them to your mainlain with a snaplink swivel - available in all tackle shops (ALS, etc).

Mix some loose feed into your groundbait and shove it in the feeder. Cast out into the same spot a number of times and, hopefully, you'll attract fish into that area.

The idea is that you cast into the area you want, and allow the feeder to drop to the bottom releasing it's contents. Wait a few seconds and give a couple of turns on your reel. In theory, your hookbait should now be sitting over the groundbait / loose feed mix.

Fishes come, scoffing your loose feed and get stuck into your hookbait - voila!!

Once you've managed to draw fish into your swim, the feeder can be easily unlinked from the snaplink and replaced with a small ledger, as you don't want to spook the fish you've just attracted by casting a feeder every time as the weight and size causes more disturbance than a leger.

Personally, I know Horton isn't fishing very well at the minute so I'd probably wait until the weather picks up a bit.

A little tip when using snaplinks - attach it to the mainline just above your hooklenth by using a ledger stop bead. This allows you to slide to feeder up and down the line if required.

I also cut down a small piece of silicon tubing to size and slide it over the snaplink wire bit (if you know what I mean)as this stops, or at least reduces the amount ot times your line snags on the link.

Good luck - must dash as I'm off for a quick pint before hoppong on the bus to 'Town' for the match - what's your prediction for today?

Im new to this game as well - only been fishing since New Year and only been out three or four times so far. Can the resident experts confirm the above is accurate, please - I wouldn't want to ill-advise you!!

Anyway - see you around and good luck.

Alan G (BlythMags)
Blyth
Nothumberland

HA'WAY THE LADS!!!!!!!!

BlythMags

Quiver tips:

I've just bought myself a cheap quiver tip feeder rod (a Shakespeare Mustang Multi-Feeder) which comes with 3 different quiver tips depending on what you need it for, etc. It only cost 20.

I'm not saying it'll set the angling world alight but, until I know what I'm doing, I'd prefer to keep the cost down. Especially as I've spent a small fortune these last two months on tackle, clothes and gear without spending huge sums on rods that I know little about.

What rods are you currently using?

I think I'm right in saying that most rods have a 'screw end eye' that allows you to fit a quiver tip in the end (only a couple of quid) which will do the job for the time being - it may be worth having a look at the end of your rod to see if yours does.

Alternatively, you could purchase a butt indicator - there was a discussion about a 'sidewinder' indicator the other week on here. This had the added bonus of being close in to your body, and out of the wind, which may hamper bite indication on quiver tips in windy conditions. They basically attach to your rod eye and are at an angle to your line. Any take on the bait draws line thru the indicator, which you'll see by it straightening up.

I hope that's correct. I may well be talking utter gibberish. I think the excitement of the match this afternoon, coupled with the fact that (for the first time) I can actually answer someone's query of MD's is getting the better of me!!!

Good luck.

BlythMags

HA'WAY THE LADS!!!

BlythMags

Not again, I here you say.

Just quickly, Happyeater:

Do you know that WACAC has it's own website?

http://www.wacac.co.uk/main.html

I highly recommend you getting involved in the discussion forums on there as I've found them very helpful and you'l be able to keep an eye on how the waters are fishing, or be alerted to 'new flashes' and any changes in Club Rules?

You'll find the Admin is extremely helpful, and very knowledgeable, when it comes to all angling topics and, in particular, fishing in the region - not just WACAC waters.

Have a look - it'll prove very useful.

BlythMags

HA'WAY THE LADS

Happyeater

Thanks a lot, mate. While you were typing I was in Yates bar...LOL. Good advice apart from a butt indicator, which simply sounds rude [;)]

Yeah, Horton Grange was the one I was talking about, too deep for a float, so I fancy a feeder system. A bit dark to pop into the shed at the moment (a big spider might be lurking!
or a demon bat!!) So, I'll let you know what I've got in there.

I am a poster on the WACAC forum from time to time, you're right, they're a good bunch.

Not a bad result either, keeps us in a CL position again.

Thanks for your help and I'll see you around soon.

Happyeater

Status
Not open for further replies.