Aquariums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicko

I am looking to purchase a tropical aquarium in the near future.Can anyone recommend any shops that i can get some idea of price/style.I have looked at aquahome on the A49 at Leyland & they seem quite clued up.Maidenhead aquatics are also opening shortly at golden days garden centre nr wrightington.Are these any good?
Sorry forgot to mention in the lancashire area.

Last edited:

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I have mainly used Maidenhead aquatics and found them pretty good.
They have a branch about 10 miles from me.
I would say though, that it's more to do with who I make a bee-line for in the shop (as he knows his stuff) than the shop in general.

They seem to have a good range, and the tanks in my local seem well cared for, fish usually healthy.

I would stick with one shop to get your fish from if possible - all the fish you buy will have been exposed to the same...can't think of the word sorry...."nasty bugs" will do

You might want to look at the following links to give you an idea:

ONE
TWO
THREE

bazw

dont be tempted to buy a carp from the pond section to keep in the tank
you would not believe how quick them little bu**ers turn into a pasty sized fish
i bought a common and a mirror both 1 1/2 " long last summer , thought i would put them in my tank so i had 2 testers for ground bait and stuff
last month i traded them back to the shop at 7" for the common and 9" for the mirror this is nose to start of tail fin but not counting the fin
on the + side i have used some killer ground bait mixes this last year {:)]

i wonder if they can get some roach and barble for me hum (rubs chin and thinks )

dont think of having anything away from a pond as you never know what it might have and to get caught is to get banned and took to court

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Depends - how big a tank are you looking for and will you be casting your rods from the sofa or the arm chair...LOL

Isaak

alter Freund
I bought a tank from a firm in Devon by mail order. It was an Aqua One tank.
Got nothing but poor service from the local person who promised delivery, took a deposit and then it turned out he had never ordered it.
He said the deposit was to hold the price.
The Devon place was much cheaper and had the item with me in 2 days free delivery.
Brilliant service and a superb tank at a very competitive price.
http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk

Jessebobs

Steve!
I have a Maidenhead Aquatics near me and they seem to be very good. At all costs though, avoid Pets At Home. Their staff know as much about fish as I know about Gerbils ie- nowt.

mattb

cookies gillie!!
You wont go far wrong with maidenhead aquatics mate. Pets at home sometimes do some nice fish etc, but id ignore their staff. Clueless in the main.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Have a look in your local yellow pages dicko and try to find shops dealing purely for the aquarist. Some garden centres are OK but a lot of them are extremely poor.
Try not to buy fish from one shop then another shop and another because you will ultimately have problems.
Funnily enough Im starting it back up again after a lay off of several years tomorrow.
Ive been given a 30 inch tank with all the gear and some fish and I have to collect it tomorrow.

bazw

Originally posted by Enigma

Depends - how big a tank are you looking for and will you be casting your rods from the sofa or the arm chair...LOL

7'X 2.5'X 1.5',can cast from both pegs easy but settee best with pole but if i get one on its a pig to play them with the wife hitting me [:D][:D][:D]

i do use it for shotting up rigs as i can see the way they sit great with 24" of water [8D]

Last edited:

dicko

Thanks for the advice.All taken on board.A bit dubious about ordering on-line.Dont really know why? Just like to see what i'm paying for first.Agree about Pets at home though.
Chris, been hearing bad reports about BAS. Fish in bad condition,so i've heard. Don't know about the tanks though.
Thanks again

david platt

Fusilier
I have been going to BAS Bolton and they have tided up on the Tropical front now fish are fine now,
last time I was there was last weekend.
Dave

Originally posted by dicko

Thanks for the advice.All taken on board.A bit dubious about ordering on-line.Dont really know why? Just like to see what i'm paying for first.Agree about Pets at home though.
Chris, been hearing bad reports about BAS. Fish in bad condition,so i've heard. Don't know about the tanks though.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Isaak

alter Freund
Originally posted by dicko

Thanks again

I understand your reservations about buying online. You can see the Aqua One tanks at Maidenhead Aquatics which I ordered by telephone. You can order on line but I wanted to hear the guy's voice to make a judgement and ask him some questions. For me they were really good after the messing about I had with the local aquarists.

Status
Not open for further replies.