Approaching tomorrow....

Browner

Bit of a trek up to where the Marden joins the Bristol Avon used to be a good spot for chub and roach. Trees were a bit of a problem tho.
1606499288156.png
I love section 5. I’ve had some great chub along that stretch but since the route under Blackbridge is almost blocked it’s not easy to get to now.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It fished very hard, l cannot ever remember the Shroppie ever looking so clear, not clear as such but nothing like its clay looking colour. Best weight today was 3lb and best bait was chopped worm, fluro pinkie also prodused a few fish.
I stuck with bread punch and only had 11 roach for just over 1lb. Nobody caught close in, and all fish were caught at the far side of the track.
Yeah - our club secretary lives at Waverton & he's been fishing various stretches & said it's been very clear due to the lack of boat traffic.

Browner

Well, ended up fishing peg 58 (I think), one below the blue bridge. Had a great morning fishing bread punch and punched meat. Loads of roach on the stick and three very big chub on meat and straight lead. The chub combined must of totalled 12-15lb. Biggest I’ve seen for a while.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well, ended up fishing peg 58 (I think), one below the blue bridge. Had a great morning fishing bread punch and punched meat. Loads of roach on the stick and three very big chub on meat and straight lead. The chub combined must of totalled 12-15lb. Biggest I’ve seen for a while.
Brilliant fishing that especially given how cold it is! Guess the rivers now having got back to decent level conteracts the cold a bit but still takes a lot of skill to catch that well at this time of year ??

I'm not expecting anything like that on my session to tomorrow. I like to think I'm a half decent angler first half of the season but I'm not much cop second half of the season that's for sure.

Browner

I personally prefer the second half of the season. Possibly because the Avon at Chippenham gets some pace. Most pegs are fishing well at the moment.
Loads of chub and roach right through.
I have great faith in bread and meat and very rarely use anything else. Maybe corn in the summer or a lob worm when it’s very coloured and usually put hemp in my likki bread/punch crumb mix.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Much prefer first half myself. On the Thames here from start of July to end of October there's almost always roach in all the roachy looking swims on most stretches with often dace, skimmers, perch, etc mixed in with all of them usually fairly obliging if the conditions are even half decent. Shoals of bream turn up in places and some stretches are crawling with pike. November onwards it's much more of a lottery with the fish getting super localised to patches of river with other bits seemingly devoid.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Good on you mate, a great days fishing, I won’t lie to you - I walked out my front door, got half way to the garage, turned round and went back to bed. Can’t handle that level of cold!