Approaching tomorrow....

Joe C

Site Supporter
So, it’s set to be about 1 degree c this evening and not get above 5 tomorrow, exactly the same yesterday. Clear skies and hardly any winds. There is a commercial fishery a half hours drive away that has been producing nice bags of roach up to 1lb. (I say producing, it was on des Shipps fb page and let’s be honest he would catch fish in a puddle, plus at that point it was 10 degrees c.)

I’ve also got the Bristol Avon and Gloucester canal within half hours drive.

What would you go and fish for? I’m not a predator angler so not interested in pike. Unsure if the roach will feed in those conditions, I’ve read that they don’t like a sudden drop in temperature, but it would Have been a similar temp for 48 hours by tomorrow morning.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Yeah im on watch and might go on the Chub pegs if it drops cold.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’d nine carp and a couple of roach yesterday so, fish are still having a chew. Just go easy on the loose feed and be patient. Good luck pal. ?

Zerkalo

I'd go for the commercial. Going to be difficult tomorrow as it will be freezing but I'll be after Chub on the river.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was planning on going tomorrow but will have to look out of the curtains in the morning

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was going to go today but didn't bother in the end as I got to the river and it was covered in freezing fog so cold that it actually hurt your hands and face and you could barely see the far bank. Chance of catching in that on the Thames is next to nothing so went home dropped the gear off and went for a walk to scout out some spots instead. Did warm up eventually but would have froze to death before it reached that point. Probably should have just had an afternoon session but fishing is about starting fairly early for me.

Going to have another go Sunday though as whilst the peak temperatures are about the same at about 7 degrees it’s meant to be about 4 degrees at first light which is a lot better than minus 1 of today which then took til midday to clear 5!

Was a nice walk though. The river looks almost spot on. Shame it wasn’t in such a good state most of the rest of the month when it was mild as it was too high then.
1606419740867.jpeg
Saw 4 anglers (a lot less than usual) and not a fish between them lol

Browner

Going back on the Avon at Chippenham again tomorrow. The roach and chub will be feeding on bread. Bit of pace on the river so got to make the most of it. Stick float and cage feeder with likki bread both using punch.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Given your options I would probably go on the Avon has it’s fishing really well at the moment

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Going on the Shropshire union canal tomorrow in the Barbridge area, going for the roach, but also taking some spinning gear just in case any pike or perch come out to play.
The only thing that will stop play, is if its really foggy, l hate driving in fog.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Going back on the Avon at Chippenham again tomorrow. The roach and chub will be feeding on bread. Bit of pace on the river so got to make the most of it. Stick float and cage feeder with likki bread both using punch.
Good shout mate, may will give this a go.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Going on the Shropshire union canal tomorrow in the Barbridge area, going for the roach, but also taking some spinning gear just in case any pike or perch come out to play.
The only thing that will stop play, is if its really foggy, l hate driving in fog.
Going the Shroppy myself next week when lockdown is lifted. Got a club match at Christleton on the 13th so I'm off for a reccy & practice on the stretch. Haven't fished round there for a good few years.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I was going to go today but didn't bother in the end as I got to the river and it was covered in freezing fog so cold that it actually hurt your hands and face and you could barely see the far bank. Chance of catching in that on the Thames is next to nothing so went home dropped the gear off and went for a walk to scout out some spots instead. Did warm up eventually but would have froze to death before it reached that point. Probably should have just had an afternoon session but fishing is about starting fairly early for me.

Going to have another go Sunday though as whilst the peak temperatures are about the same at about 7 degrees it’s meant to be about 4 degrees at first light which is a lot better than minus 1 of today which then took til midday to clear 5!

Was a nice walk though. The river looks almost spot on. Shame it wasn’t in such a good state most of the rest of the month when it was mild as it was too high then.
1606419740867.jpeg
Saw 4 anglers (a lot less than usual) and not a fish between them lol
Looks lovely.

rudd

Site Supporter
The deepest venue you can get to and fish in deep water.
The fog and cold dont help - the high pressure causing them is the killer.
Will be fishing a sliding waggler looking for bites on the drop tomorrow as in these conditions expect fish to be a few feet above the deck.
Also perfect for live baiting for Perch with live bait fished 5-6ft deep - Big Perch lurking about looking upwards and hit live baits from underneath.

Browner

Fishing the bottom end of “the dead stretch”. More colour in the Avon today but dispute that and a cold morning it still fished ok. Still had some pace and the roach were feeding. No chub but missed a couple of raps on the meat and bomb.
Will give it another go tomorrow, maybe have a look at fishing ”the line of trees” at Chippenham.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks lovely.
It’s a new stretch to me that my club only took over a couple years ago yet. Despite it being only the next bit upstream of a stretch I fish regularly I haven’t fished it yet as it’s a faff of a walk to get to. Definitely going to fish it next season though as it’s a stunning bit of water.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Fishing the bottom end of “the dead stretch”. More colour in the Avon today but dispute that and a cold morning it still fished ok. Still had some pace and the roach were feeding. No chub but missed a couple of raps on the meat and bomb.
Will give it another go tomorrow, maybe have a look at fishing ”the line of trees” at Chippenham.
The dead stretch. That’s between the rowing club and the golf course , isn’t it if I remember correctly, and the line of trees is just above the rowing club.

Browner

The dead stretch. That’s between the rowing club and the golf course , isn’t it if I remember correctly, and the line of trees is just above the rowing club.
Correct. Been fishing it for over 40 years so still refer to the sections by some of the old names. In my opinion, it’s still a great piece of water. Good roach, chub, perch and bream fishing. Also something for the pike guys and if you’re lucky some barbel at the top end. A lot of swims have pallets so fishing is comfortable. Parts of it are 2ft deep and parts are 12ft deep.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Going the Shroppy myself next week when lockdown is lifted. Got a club match at Christleton on the 13th so I'm off for a reccy & practice on the stretch. Haven't fished round there for a good few years.
It fished very hard, l cannot ever remember the Shroppie ever looking so clear, not clear as such but nothing like its clay looking colour. Best weight today was 3lb and best bait was chopped worm, fluro pinkie also prodused a few fish.
I stuck with bread punch and only had 11 roach for just over 1lb. Nobody caught close in, and all fish were caught at the far side of the track.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Bit of a trek up to where the Marden joins the Bristol Avon used to be a good spot for chub and roach. Trees were a bit of a problem tho.
1606499288156.png