Applying shot to line

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
As some of you will know already, I’m still in the early days of fishing again after a long break. One thing I’ve struggled with is applying shot to the line. I either apply it too loosely when using fingers/thumbs or if I use a small pair of pliers I end up applying it too tight and I cannot move it up/down the line.

It might seem like a daft question, but do you have any tips or suggestions for how to apply shot? I am using loads every session..

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Since switching to Stotz I have never gone back to shot. Easy to apply down to a 13. Soft lead so no matter how hard you squeeze you cannot damage the line. Some find they move too easily. I don't seem to have that problem but I think this is down to putting them on the line correctly.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I place them with my fingers then gently bite them to tighten them. Got the bite pressure dialled in over the years to get them on not too tight or too loose. Not very hygienic but it hasn’t done me any harm yet! Usually works though. A more clean way of doing it is with forceps though, sometimes I’m organised enough to do that ?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I made myself a rig board & also a hook tying jig with a couple of pins in. I find if you keep the line taut by having a hook/loop round the pins, it leaves both hands free & it's easier putting them on with the pliers and you don't find yourself squeezing as hard.

adriang

Site Supporter
after a break from coarse fishing, I really struggled with smaller shot, but found that I got some dexterity back with practice. I tend to make up a lot of rigs at home, and found that pliers (like in the video above) really help.

I do think the quality of shot seems poor compared to what I remember, although I've go to the point where I'll only buy anchor double cut.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
As some of you will know already, I’m still in the early days of fishing again after a long break. One thing I’ve struggled with is applying shot to the line. I either apply it too loosely when using fingers/thumbs or if I use a small pair of pliers I end up applying it too tight and I cannot move it up/down the line.

It might seem like a daft question, but do you have any tips or suggestions for how to apply shot? I am using loads every session..
What size shot, what size line? Also what make of shot?

I use pliers to put shot on and it doesn’t come off, I don’t usually want it to move. When using pliers completely close the split, but don’t squeeze so hard you change the shape of the shot. Small shot on large dia lines could be a cause of them pinging off, as @Neil ofthe nene says, try stotz, but no matter how I put them on, they move too much for me when fishing strung out rigs.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The thing with Stotz is that if you are not careful you can close just one end of the slit. After biting on look closely and you might see the slit is V shaped. Using pliers should eliminate this. The same thing does not seem to happen with shot.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks all for the responses and sorry for the delay. To answer your queries

@Neil ofthe nene - Thank you, I hadn’t heard of or seen Stotz before so I’ll do some research and check them out ?

@The Landlord That is some commitment fp. Do you find it easier to carry to the bank?

@Silverfisher I assume you just use standard fishing forceps? I find my shot misshapes so I must be squeezing it too hard.

@TrickyD Thank you, Looks like I need to take a trip to hobbycraft ?

@chefster Good idea, like the ones suggested in the video shared by trickyd?

@adriang Yes, I cannot remember how I used to get on before but it seems a lot more difficult this time! I was considering using pre-weighted floats to make things a bit easier.

@Maesknoll I’m using Daiwa sensor 4lb line with Anchor shot. The shot size I had trouble coming off today was primarily 8,6, &4. I estimate around 5 or 6 shot total came off after casting. Frustrating!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks all for the responses and sorry for the delay. To answer your queries

@Neil ofthe nene - Thank you, I hadn’t heard of or seen Stotz before so I’ll do some research and check them out ?

@The Landlord That is some commitment fp. Do you find it easier to carry to the bank?

@Silverfisher I assume you just use standard fishing forceps? I find my shot misshapes so I must be squeezing it too hard.

@TrickyD Thank you, Looks like I need to take a trip to hobbycraft ?

@chefster Good idea, like the ones suggested in the video shared by trickyd?

@adriang Yes, I cannot remember how I used to get on before but it seems a lot more difficult this time! I was considering using pre-weighted floats to make things a bit easier.

@Maesknoll I’m using Daiwa sensor 4lb line with Anchor shot. The shot size I had trouble coming off today was primarily 8,6, &4. I estimate around 5 or 6 shot total came off after casting. Frustrating!
Sensor is quite stretchy, I can’t speak for the 6 and 4 shot as that must be non-toxic and I don’t use it, I’d rather use extra eights than larger non-toxic. I use Ballibeni shot, never had one ping off, although I only use sensor as pellet waggler line, so don’t put shot on it.

rudd

Site Supporter
Sensor is quite stretchy, I can’t speak for the 6 and 4 shot as that must be non-toxic and I don’t use it, I’d rather use extra eights than larger non-toxic. I use Ballibeni shot, never had one ping off, although I only use sensor as pellet waggler line, so don’t put shot on it.
Hi, all posters are referring to pole rigs.
These days fish alot of waggler and senor line.
Dinsmores gripper shot are your answer but can be hard to move once on.
I use a variety for various styles of fishing and use dinsmores, anchor, preston shot, preston stots, styles, fladen shot and tgese dinsmores griplers :

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Hi, all posters are referring to pole rigs.
These days fish alot of waggler and senor line.
Dinsmores gripper shot are your answer but can be hard to move once on.
I use a variety for various styles of fishing and use dinsmores, anchor, preston shot, preston stots, styles, fladen shot and tgese dinsmores griplers :

Thanks for the recommendation , I’ll have a little look into these ?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I put this on another post re shotting,I wouldn't be without mine,puts stotz or shot on and takes them off if you overshot.

I purchased a pair of these and used them for the first time today, what a difference! My shot stayed on the line all day and it was so much easier to apply. I would recommend for anyone who has the same problem as I did. Thanks very much for the suggestion. 👍🙂