Apartment flood. Oh FFS!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
So I got a call today from the manager of the bar that resides below me, he was in a right old panic! Water everywhere he was screaming. I was an hours drive away so I said take me a video and send it via Whatsapp. Where do you think the water is coming from I asked? Your Apartment!
Video duly arrived and I hightailed it off the job.
Insert video 1 that made me hightail my sorry old ass back home from an hour away...at very high speed!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Aww bloody hell mate that is a nightmare - so sorry for you.

Hope you can get it all sorted fairly quickly and the guy downstairs isn’t a tool about it all.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Then I get to some of the tackle: and the video will not upload...
So, my MAP bait bag with everything bait wise, I carry in it is waterlogged. 30 Tubs of wafters, sinkers, hookers (hey Mrs M ;)) Fjuka and groundbaits all ruined. The other bait bags, which are just carrier bags are also water logged and they contain the best part of another full setup...
Tomorrow sees the clearout of the tackle room and the tool room... The laptop is dead as is the TV and Xbox.
One is a little peeved.
I hope the landlord has decent insurance...

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Bloody ell Bernie so sorry to hear of your troubles. :( Has the cause been identified ?
Just a thought, but you may need to claim on your own insurance and your insurance company will counterclaim against the landlord's insurance company.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I feelsorry for you mate, if I lived a bit closer, you could have stored all your stuff in my workshop, while you got sorted😢👍

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thank you for your messages chaps, it's been a cruddy old day. Got to bed at about 3AM. The carpets are drying well after a wet vac was put over them quite a few times. The laminate flooring is shot, half the plasterboard is blown, the water heater is leaking so I have disconnected it and the culprit found. A failed mixer tap in the bathroom. I thought it was the hose that had failed but upon replacing the very same was happening with water shooting everywhere. That has now been disconnected and a new one will be fitted tomorrow.
A quick tot up so far for damaged goods is £1500, that be the laptop, TV, Soundbar and sub, Xbox, digital weighing scales, 30 tubs of wafters etc.
Not even started in the tool room yet...
Downstairs in the bar / restaurant they have some major problems. Light fittings full of water, freezers broken, fryer broken, extractor, hot oven, CCTV and boiler all broken.
All because of a cheap Chinese tap.
Got to go back to work tomorrow and then the rebuild will begin over the weekend. 150m2 of laminate to come up, plasterboard to remove and dehumidifiers to install.
I ran a pressure test on one of the other flats in the complex a couple of months ago and the water pressure was over 8 bar. I fitted a PRV and set it to 3 bar. I did inform the landlord that all the flats should be fitted with them but his reply was lets see what happens....
Well, now you have seen what happens. PRV's have been ordered for all the flats, too late, the horse has bolted!
I was hoping to go on a match on Sunday but now I have this place to sort out and all my bait is ruined save for the tinned sweetcorn anyway.

Onwards and upwards... Fingers crossed!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I thought PRV's were to be fitted months ago when we discussed the issue?
Most domestic fittings, pushfit water pipes, etc are not capable of handling that sort of water pressure and should be reduced to 3.5bar or less or inevitably they will leak/fail.
Speedfit is only rated to 7.5bar from memory, showers, taps, water heaters 3.5bar.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted but from my experience of landlords who have built on the cheap, cut corners, employed cheap, they rarely admit to it being their responsibility and try to shift the blame onto others.
It might be a case of cutting your losses and moving elsewhere; good luck.

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Sorry to read about your troubles Munchy, I can’t imagine what you must be feeling like. Hope you get everything sorted out quickly and the landlord plays nicely.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Don't waste the bait mate. Mosh it all up together, bung it in the freezer and use it for paste or groundbait.