Anything better than T - Cut

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

The misses returned home from work today and she said .... Theres a scratch on the drivers door of my car, can you have a look at it please ? I washed the area first then with a wet cloth applied some T - Cut. This shifted 80% of the scratch but, you can see it in certain lights. Years ago I was working at a vehicle refinishes and watched the guys there take some 1000 grit paper to some scratches and then buff with polish. Alas I aint got the baubles to do that. The misses would kill me if she saw me take sand paper to her car. Its metallic paint by the way. Any ideas anyone ? Thanks. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There are sticks available nowadays for scratches, a bit like a pen, comes in all colours so matching shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try ' CarPlan No1 '

I've used it for polishing out several scratches, mainly dog related, and it works well.
As long as the scratch is just in the laquer and not gone through the colour into the primer, you should be ok

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Get guy (or gal) in, chips away or something like that, be more than a bottle of polish in the short term, but may save your testes if you mess up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Try ' CarPlan No1 '

I've used it for polishing out several scratches, mainly dog related, and it works well.
As long as the scratch is just in the laquer and not gone through the colour into the primer, you should be ok
Hi Dave,

When I wet the scratch it disappears. Am I correct in assuming the scratch is just in the lacquer then ? When it dries it gradually comes back. And surprisingly Dave ... It does look like scratches from a dogs paws. Like its jumped up at the window.

Carplan No 1. ?

Thanks.

Darth...

Account Locked
Neighbour has just bought an Audi RS 5. I'm not a car fan but it musta cost 30K plus; and he parked it in the back street, which is a very dumb thing to do...

Some bas*ard has keyed most of its panels down to the metal!!!

He's distraught, as u would imagine!!!

He's polished some of it out with E45 but a pro repair is his only option!!!...

Sadly my CCTV was off-line at the time, and if it wasn't it may have captured the T*at/s!!!...

DFL

Site Supporter
A general rule of thumb, if you run your fingernail across the scratch and can feel it you’ll not get it polished out 100%.

You’ve done well to shift 80%, either leave it be or let a pro smart guy finish the job.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A general rule of thumb, if you run your fingernail across the scratch and can feel it you’ll not get it polished out 100%.

You’ve done well to shift 80%, either leave it be or let a pro smart guy finish the job.
Hi DFL,

Im just wondering now after T - Cutting whether a good polish would sort the rest out ? Like I say, when I wet it it disappears. Ill give it a good polish tomorrow. Fingers crossed. ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's the matt finish you can see on the laquer where it has been scratched. Polish the surface to remove the matt and the scratch should in theory disappear

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's the matt finish you can see on the laquer where it has been scratched. Polish the surface to remove the matt and the scratch should in theory disappear
Ill give it a good polish tomorrow and let you know how I get on. I think you are supposed to polish / wax after using a cutting polish anyway arent you ? It shows how much polishing of cars Ive done over the years doesnt it ? ??

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
mix 1 part t cut to 2 parts wax, find a food colouring as close to the car paint work as you can and mix it in with the cut and wax....make sure it's really well mixed and then use it on a DRY cloth in small circular motions so you stay as close to the scratch as possible without going over.....after a few goes buff it up and see if the scratch still shows, if it does repeat it again, obviously the food colouring will eventually wash out but keep the cut/polish mix and just give it a quick going over after the next wash :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
mix 1 part t cut to 2 parts wax, find a food colouring as close to the car paint work as you can and mix it in with the cut and wax....make sure it's really well mixed and then use it on a DRY cloth in small circular motions so you stay as close to the scratch as possible without going over.....after a few goes buff it up and see if the scratch still shows, if it does repeat it again, obviously the food colouring will eventually wash out but keep the cut/polish mix and just give it a quick going over after the next wash :)
THANK YOU Trogg. I'll try that. ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a Black Hilux prior to this one that showed scratches easily as the primer was a light grey.
In the early days, okay the first month, I'd meticulously go over every scratch and stone chip.
Then it took a knock or three whilst working.
I then used to cover up scratches with a black permanent marker pen which looked purple in sun light, until they washed off.
In the end I stopped washing it, problem solved :D

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a Black Hilux prior to this one that showed scratches easily as the primer was a light grey.
In the early days, okay the first month, I'd meticulously go over every scratch and stone chip.
Then it took a knock or three whilst working.
I then used to cover up scratches with a black permanent marker pen which looked purple in sun light, until they washed off.
In the end I stopped washing it, problem solved :D

I know a lad who bought a bucket load of black lipstick for colouring in the scratches on his l200 :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember driving down a bridle path one day with Hawthorn bushes either side. By the time I'd been down and back again it looked like someone had gone down both sides with a wire brush :D

I loved that truck, used and abused, we had a lot in common :roflmao:

DFL

Site Supporter
Hi DFL,

Im just wondering now after T - Cutting whether a good polish would sort the rest out ? Like I say, when I wet it it disappears. Ill give it a good polish tomorrow. Fingers crossed. ?
T Cut is an extremely aggressive abrasive, in fact it’s frowned apon in the detailing community. You need to finish the polishing with a polish with less cut and also has some filler in it.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish (red label) is good and available in Halfords. Use plenty of clean microfibre cloths during the process.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
T Cut is an extremely aggressive abrasive, in fact it’s frowned apon in the detailing community. You need to finish the polishing with a polish with less cut and also has some filler in it.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish (red label) is good and available in Halfords. Use plenty of clean microfibre cloths during the process.
Hi DFL.

I’m sat opposite Halfords now. I’ll nip in and get some. Thanks. ?

jasonb

Account Locked
professional way to get rid of it is...

1500 grit wet and dry Grit 1500 2000 2500 3000 5000 7000 High Precision Polishing Sanding Wet/dry C4P7 193571180551 | eBay

farecla g3 Farecla G3 Rubbing Compound Regular Cutting Paste Car Polishing - 250g | eBay

give the scratch a light rub down with the very fine 1500 wet and dry till the scratch disappears, then, start the polishing back with farecla G3, then T cut, then wax to finish off...done

during all processes use plenty of water and wash off regularly

PAB

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

The misses returned home from work today and she said .... Theres a scratch on the drivers door of my car, can you have a look at it please ? I washed the area first then with a wet cloth applied some T - Cut. This shifted 80% of the scratch but, you can see it in certain lights. Years ago I was working at a vehicle refinishes and watched the guys there take some 1000 grit paper to some scratches and then buff with polish. Alas I aint got the baubles to do that. The misses would kill me if she saw me take sand paper to her car. Its metallic paint by the way. Any ideas anyone ? Thanks. ?
Handfull of mud throw that at it then you will not see the scratch think yourself lucky it was not something important like one of your rods.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
professional way to get rid of it is...

1500 grit wet and dry Grit 1500 2000 2500 3000 5000 7000 High Precision Polishing Sanding Wet/dry C4P7 193571180551 | eBay

farecla g3 Farecla G3 Rubbing Compound Regular Cutting Paste Car Polishing - 250g | eBay

give the scratch a light rub down with the very fine 1500 wet and dry till the scratch disappears, then, start the polishing back with farecla G3, then T cut, then wax to finish off...done

during all processes use plenty of water and wash off regularly
That is very much what I saw the guys doing when I was doing some work in a body shop one time. I couldn’t believe that they were taking grit paper to a scratch. But, they did say that they weren’t going any further than the lacquer. Dare I try it ? With my shovels for hands ?

Cheers pal. ?