Anyone?

JLK

On most venue's I fish and that includes venue's which I am unfamiliar with but have asked about for info, I usually have a rough idea what depth I need to be fishing at before I even start to plumb up. Then it's a case of trying to find that depth.
I generally know what rigs I'll be using before I get to the venue so always make my rigs up to either top 4/5 if venues are over 7 ft and to top kit length if under 7ft.
It's really not that complicated a task if you do the legwork before hand whether it be match or pleasure fishing.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Like one or two have mentioned they do, i have rigs ready made to cover all depths and situations, so i don't have to cut down rigs or tie new ones ready for a session, not being prepared with the right rigs or then running the risk of a rig being adapted on the bank to what i find on the day, isn't the issue or an activity in cutting down rigs i felt i had a solution for.

Having them ready for all depths and with various shotting means i then don't have to cut down a rig, that is then once it is cut it is cut, more work and prep on the outset and more rig space taken in the box in having rigs for all depths, but again, time saved on the bank.

I am thinking that say if you take a loose rule of a 4 x 14 float being ok for 3.5ft to 4.5ft, you tie it to 7ft of line and find 6ft depth on the day, it may turn out that the float isn't the best for the depth you find on the day. Its no hard and fast rule of course, but even then plumbing with that rig, only to find then that you need your 4x16 rig, the same issue has issue had showed itself.

The thought i had and to save time on the bank, was to establish the depths around your peg quickly, then, again to save time, pick out the right rigs first time.

I get the putting a rig on what you wish to use sometimes to then find that depth in the peg, i recall Andy May doing this with a 3ft rig when F1 fishing, but not sure it can be a year round strategy and for all species and works when you are confident that the fish will wish to be in that depth of water, but again different tactics and all that.

Last edited:

JLK

You are overcomplicating what is such a simple concept. You need to be thinking about what species you want to be catching, where in your peg you are going to do this and how you are going to feed for them. Then prepare your rigs accordingly. This can all be done without even putting a Plummet on the rig.
Then once at the venue armed with your well thought out nicely prepped rigs set to your 'base' lengths, you start the task of physically setting up to fish to your already predetermined plan of attack. Which can change on the day obviously when you see your peg, but probably isn't that far off from your original plan of attack anyway.

davebike1

Site Supporter
Me I pull out last rig I used or what I think I need as I use Connectadjust just wind a couple of turns on plum a few spots and wind up the spare line or if heaver or lighter rig required swap over
Old fasioned I know but workes for me

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I may be over prepared perhaps with all rigs prepared accordingly off the bank, for all depths and for two varying feeding strategies (deck or on the drop), so that when i arrive at my peg i know i have the rig. Overcomplicated however? Not so sure, i am happy with how i go about my rigs and rig readiness and prep of these wasn't what i was thinking time could be saved on.

Tieing up rigs loosely to cover a spread of depths then chopping down based on what i find on the day just isn't ready enough for me, due to largely also that this just doesn't mean cut off 18 inches for example and then re tie a new loop, it then also would mean moving shot about to cater for the change (i like to have all my shot in the last 3rd of the rig), perish the thought not even shotting them until i have found what 'on the day' brings.

Everyone's different i suppose and has their preferred mo.