Anyone with a Centre Lathe at home Please?

Total

Site Supporter
Good afternoon all....

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I'm after someone with access to a centre lathe to make complete a one off, including providing material, manufacturing and posting the item drawn below to South East London.

I will of course pay for your time and postage.....If anyone could help me I would be most appreciative....Thank you

Coversion for feeder arm.jpg

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Why no tolerances on the 1 3/16" end?
Stainless can be a bugger to turn? will not brass do?

That said - I haven't access to lathe.

You could also consider, if concentricity isn't a problem, drilling out the larger dia and inserting ground bar.

Total

Site Supporter
Why no tolerances on the 1 3/16" end?
Stainless can be a bugger to turn? will not brass do?

That said - I haven't access to lathe.

You could also consider, if concentricity isn't a problem, drilling out the larger dia and inserting ground bar.

I'm a fully qualified engineer (my living) without access to a lathe....:(.....1 3/16 end is open tolerance....Stainless is needed as it won't rust or mark up as brass will do and plenty of stainless steels are relatively free cutting.....Concentricity isn't an issue either, if it was, I'd have marked up the sketch as such....Thank you for your post....(y)

Last edited:

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Try your local Model railway club, sure one of them will have a lathe.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
How quickly do you need it?

We've a lathe in our workshop and stainless bar stock but only in for a few hours in the morning then off until 4th Jan, extremely doubtful I can get it turned tomorrow.

Total

Site Supporter
How quickly do you need it?

We've a lathe in our workshop and stainless bar stock but only in for a few hours in the morning then off until 4th Jan, extremely doubtful I can get it turned tomorrow.

Good evening Mr Taff,

Thank you for replying.....No rush at the moment and in the New year would be fine for delivery.....As and when you could do this for me please let me know and any costs please advise how much via PM and how you want paying.....Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you...:)

Kindest regards.....Mark.....Happy Christmas to you and yours....Be safe....(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Good evening Mr Taff,

Thank you for replying.....No rush at the moment and in the New year would be fine for delivery.....As and when you could do this for me please let me know and any costs please advise how much via PM and how you want paying.....Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you...:)

Kindest regards.....Mark.....Happy Christmas to you and yours....Be safe....(y)

Will give it a shot in the new year - costs will be minimal as 5” of bar stock is realistically an off cut, just depends what we’ve got in stores.

Total

Site Supporter
Intrigued ?

wossit for Mark ?

Good evening Mick,

Basically it's an extension I need making so I can rig it via a Boss Box multi holder mounted on the front legs of the foot plate to which I can mount a Feederland Pro feeder arm which will give me the option of rotating the said arm in any direction....

....Being the legs are square on our Boss box foot plates, at present the feeder arm clamping mechanism only clamps on to the four corners of the foot plate leg.....This part will solve a problem that's been bugging me for ages....:giggle:

Be well my friend...xxxxx

Total

Site Supporter
Will give it a shot in the new year - costs will be minimal as 5” of bar stock is realistically an off cut, just depends what we’ve got in stores.

Thank you Mr Taff.....Much appreciation for you help.....:)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
For the price of the Feederland I'd expect someone to be on hand 24/7 to hold it in place for you when needed ;) :D

Total

Site Supporter
For the price of the Feederland I'd expect someone to be on hand 24/7 to hold it in place for you when needed ;) :D

^^ :giggle:......Unfortunately Dave the above option I've only ever seen available on the Rive feeder arm after the leg knuckle attachment breaks after three months! :p:love:;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I stick my preston feeder arms on the front leg and use a insert (round to square) which allows the arm to be swung side to side at any angle, up and down is controlled by the position of the support section

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hello - gone through stores & largest stainless bar stock we have is 20mm

No idea when we’ll get larger in because we only order for specific jobs - sorry :(