Anyone still use rod tubes?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
That's interesting Rd115, it takes me half as long to set up a feeder rod than a float rod as you don't have to figure out the shotting and plumb up.

If fishing a different peg or new water have to plumb again anyway.

And being a novice angler I don't worry too much about shotting, bulk to cock the float and a sinker to pin the hook length on bottom ?

MarkC

I think most match anglers use ready rod bags and pleasure anglers set them up on the bank...I know if I’m fishing a match , I’ve got my top kits, maybe a feeder rod, a pellet wag rod, a bomb and pellet rod, maybe more, no way I could set that all up from scratc on the morning before match starts, as well as plumbing up lines, clipping up reels, organising bait, and side tray , keepnets, landing net, roosts, rollers etc
I only ever fish matches and despite having all these short cuts I still never seem to be quite ready at the all in..... a classic case of all the gear and no idea me thinks!
Also the time between drawing and the all in can vary quite a lot.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Oh yeah rd115 for float fishing on stillwaters for me it's just plumb to roughly dead depth then put enough shot around the base to have a sensible amount of tip showing then a dropper above the hooklength. Rarely find a need make to it anymore complicated than that so only takes 4-5 minutes. On rivers however it can involve quite a lot of faffing though to get things right so can take twice as long sometimes.

Feeder though is just always boom with feeder attached, bead, swivel then hooklength, is a less than a minute job if its all to hand.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have 2 Preston 1 + 1 monster hardcase ready rod holdalls, sometimes I have taken rods in them and made them up when got to venue, will have to start keeping them made up again.
As for rod tubes ,at the moment its pole and extensions and some topkits and spare 4's. Will be getting topkit holder at a later date.

feldri

Site Supporter
I've only got one rod that's two piece, an old Normark picker. All the rest are Normark three piece and they all go into their own cloth bags and then into tubes.
I only fish for silvers and don't find it a chore setting up each time I go fishing, in fact I find it a pleasure. I also have more reels than rods so don't know which reel or line I'll be using until I get to the peg. I like the feeling of threading the line through the rings and then sitting on the box to add float or leger and the end tackle, occasionally having a sip of coffee whilst looking around the water in front of me. It's something I've done since being a kid.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I use rod tubs and set up on the bank. However I have been toying with the idea of leaving my rods set up. Can anyone recommend a decent holdall, 3 rods max and a question, what do you actually mean by leaving them set up? I'm assuming you change terminal tackle after each trip.

I have the Preston Supera 2 rod ready rod case. I can fit me 11’ waggler rod and both my 9 & 10’ feeder rods all ready set up in there as the 9’ one can be pushed further forward in the bag

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I think most match anglers use ready rod bags and pleasure anglers set them up on the bank...I know if I’m fishing a match , I’ve got my top kits, maybe a feeder rod, a pellet wag rod, a bomb and pellet rod, maybe more, no way I could set that all up from scratc on the morning before match starts, as well as plumbing up lines, clipping up reels, organising bait, and side tray , keepnets, landing net, roosts, rollers etc
apart from on rivers ...

tedstriker

Site Supporter
i don't match fish so i see no need for rods to be setup before getting to the bank

MarkW

Rod tubes all day long for me with the rods in rod bags - learnt the lesson the hard way about rods rattling around in tubes.

Back in the late 80s used to fish evening matches on a pond 10 minutes from home, 15 minutes from draw to start time, set up a rod or pole depending on peg, landing net, keepnet, bait tray and start fishing.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I was converted to ready rod holdalls after our annual trip to Ireland. Of those 2 weeks we were fishing 12 of the days and sometimes tackling down and trying a new venue the same day. So we were setting up and down about 20 times, which was getting tiresome! Also trying to thread line through rod rings at 3.30am is not easy when you need glasses!
I started using the Preston 2+2 holdalls in 160cm and 180cm lengths. The short holdall is for lakes and the long one is for rivers. I manage to get 3 rods and an umbrella in each. Most of the rods are 3 part rods. To set them up for a holdall I will make them up at home and tie a tag on to the end of the line. Reels the tag to about a foot from the tip, then take the top section off and let it hang on the line. Then take apart the middle section and fold it back over the butt section, pick up the top section and place it next to the other two. To hold them together, wrap with a couple of large rubber bands (which have been cut) around the sections, but not too tight. To make the rods up is the reverse, then remove the tag and add your terminal tackle as required.
I couldn't go back to tube now if you paid me.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I only ever fish matches and despite having all these short cuts I still never seem to be quite ready at the all in..... a classic case of all the gear and no idea me thinks!
Also the time between drawing and the all in can vary quite a lot.
I'm the same mate, back in the day I would often set up 3 rods, Stick, Waggler and Bomb. Plumb up, mix groundabait and still have time for a cup of tea and a sarnie before the all in. Now all I have to do is attach rigs to top kits but I am never ready in time:(

Simon R

Site Supporter
I carry a couple of made-up three piece rods - so long as you keep things tight and don't have loads of loose line wafting around everywhere I don't usually have a problem with tangles.
Presuming we're talking about float rods I remove the float from the rig and then wind the end tackle onto a winder which I attach to the thick end of the tip section with an elastic band.
Then take the rest of the rod apart and rather than using rod bands I use these to hold either end of the rod

A lot safer than bands - especially if you have a rod with unequal sections.
To avoid tangles when reassembling the rod put the sections together in the reverse of how you would normally - so add the middle section to the butt and then add the tip - remembering to remove the elastic band around the winder.

Simon

BTMS

Site Supporter
l use seat belt covers (ebay) a lot longer cheaper and covers the feeders, bombs, and the pellet wagers to stop them banging around.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I have several Preston Monster Holdalls, a 2 and a 3 compartment.

The two compartment holdall is always loaded with the same commercial style rod and reel setups, two 11' float and two 10' feeder. along with a landing net handle and feeder arm. There is plenty of room for two rods in each compartment. I use these type of protectors for the rods. At the end of the session I remove the floats/feeders/hooks before tying an offcut of pole elastic to the end of the mainline to prevent the line slipping back through the rings. Finally slacken off the reels clutch to prevent any tension on the rods.

4 NGT PAIRS GREEN TIP AND BUTT CARP FISHING ROD PROTECTOR SLEEVES COARSE RODS 5060211912689 | eBay

The three compartment holdall is for my river or feeder fishing. Normally I have rods and reels set up at home, complete with tip and butt protectors and just select the rods needed for the session. Again I have landing net handle and feeder arm permanently in the holdall.

The main reasons I use holdalls is convenience as I am often on the bank before first light plus it's a right bu66er trying to thread line through rod rings in a monsoon and/or gale!

And yes still use rod tubes for my poles, top kits and whips. Also for storing any unmade up rods at home. As has already been said there is a real pleasure in the ritual of taking the rod from the tube, then sleeve before setting it up with the reel and line of choice.

MarkC

I have several Preston Monster Holdalls, a 2 and a 3 compartment.

The two compartment holdall is always loaded with the same commercial style rod and reel setups, two 11' float and two 10' feeder. along with a landing net handle and feeder arm. There is plenty of room for two rods in each compartment. I use these type of protectors for the rods. At the end of the session I remove the floats/feeders/hooks before tying an offcut of pole elastic to the end of the mainline to prevent the line slipping back through the rings. Finally slacken off the reels clutch to prevent any tension on the rods.

4 NGT PAIRS GREEN TIP AND BUTT CARP FISHING ROD PROTECTOR SLEEVES COARSE RODS 5060211912689 | eBay

The three compartment holdall is for my river or feeder fishing. Normally I have rods and reels set up at home, complete with tip and butt protectors and just select the rods needed for the session. Again I have landing net handle and feeder arm permanently in the holdall.

The main reasons I use holdalls is convenience as I am often on the bank before first light plus it's a right bu66er trying to thread line through rod rings in a monsoon and/or gale!

And yes still use rod tubes for my poles, top kits and whips. Also for storing any unmade up rods at home. As has already been said there is a real pleasure in the ritual of taking the rod from the tube, then sleeve before setting it up with the reel and line of choice.

I use the NGT sleeves too.
Going back to my original question it would seem that tubes are still favoured by pleasure anglers who do not have the time constraints placed on them that match anglers do. Hence the ready rod sleeves are mainly the choice of match anglers.
Quite often in a match situation I may not even have a cast with a rod I have set up, but it's ready just in case.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not personally but I’ve heard of people breaking tips and either breaking or bending rings (sounds painful that!) in them