Anyone still use rod tubes?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Some people would find away I’m sure haha. Also they’re good for feeder rods but not 3 piece float rods.

And yeah fair enough in matches but for pleasure fishing that feeding before and/or whilst setting up can often bring you that first bite much quicker than if you don’t feed til you start.
My pellet waggler rods are 2 piece ?, I’ll be honest, all my top kits are made up as well, all shallow kits remain set up all the time, and long tops are made evening before match, all my rods are set up in ready bags

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use rod tubs and set up on the bank. however I have been toying with the idea of leaving my rods set up. Can anyone recommend a decent holdall, 3 rods max and a question, what do you actually mean by leaving them set up? I'm assuming you change terminal tackle after each trip.

only really any good for 2 section rods, I will leave my feeder rods set up with reel on, line threaded and down to the quick change hooklength bead, one with a cage and one with a method, remove old hooklengths

only really use a tube on the bank for stick rods (mine are mainly 3 piece) and storing poles and sections in

the garbo stiff double 195cm ready rod bag is good

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve used them for transporting 3 piece rods broken down but must be a challenge to leave them set up in 3 or 4 pieces?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I only have a 3 of rods set up in ready rod bags, a 10 ft bomb rod, 10'6ft feeder rod and a 11'6ft float rod all 2 piece rods and the feeder rods are only set up with a loop on the end and the float rod with a float adapter between 2 no 4 shot. All the rest I carry in rod tubes and as has been said 3 piece rods are an absolute pain in the backside to carry ready rigged, it's just asking for tangles...only a numpty would do that ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I only have a 3 of rods set up in ready rod bags, a 10 ft bomb rod, 10'6ft feeder rod and a 11'6ft float rod all 2 piece rods and the feeder rods are only set up with a loop on the end and the float rod with a float adapter between 2 no 4 shot. All the rest I carry in rod tubes and as has been said 3 piece rods are an absolute pain in the backside to carry ready rigged, it's just asking for tangles...only a numpty would do that ?
I totally agree , mind you I don’t own any 3 piece rods ??

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Ready holdall for me.

I would't mine setting up a float rod from scratch but not a feeder rod with all those eyes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's interesting Rd115, it takes me half as long to set up a feeder rod than a float rod as you don't have to figure out the shotting and plumb up.

MarkC

My pellet waggler rods are 2 piece ?, I’ll be honest, all my top kits are made up as well, all shallow kits remain set up all the time, and long tops are made evening before match, all my rods are set up in ready bags
My feeder & pellet wag rods are 2 piece too Gary, feeder rods have quick change stems or American snap link plus quick change hook beads whilst pellet wags use quick change waggler links and I use an American snap link to attach hook length to. My top kits are also made up ready complete with rigs including deeper rigs up to the length of my top kit (2.7m) MAP TKS. A couple of years ago I developed a clever homemade device to store deeper rigs & keep elastic safe also! (Matrix deem it clever enough to bring to market and are tooling it now, so keep a look out on their new product launches ?)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only for my longer rods nowadays Mark. Nice to see a post from you, hope you and yours are all well fella. :upthumb:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
My feeder & pellet wag rods are 2 piece too Gary, feeder rods have quick change stems or American snap link plus quick change hook beads whilst pellet wags use quick change waggler links and I use an American snap link to attach hook length to. My top kits are also made up ready complete with rigs including deeper rigs up to the length of my top kit (2.7m) MAP TKS. A couple of years ago I developed a clever homemade device to store deeper rigs & keep elastic safe also! (Matrix deem it clever enough to bring to market and are tooling it now, so keep a look out on their new product launches ?)
i look forward to seeing that mate!! And I’ll look forward to seeing you soon as well mate ???

MarkC

The only rods that I still have in tubes are a 3 piece 13ft stick float rod for the river which sadly I can’t see me using again as I just don’t fish them anymore ?
3 piece waggler rods, again from my river days, plus a couple of 3 piece feeder rods for old fashioned pre Carp water fishing.
I use a Mossella Kompact 8 with ready rod sleeves and have never damaged or broken either rod or reel.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think most match anglers use ready rod bags and pleasure anglers set them up on the bank...I know if I’m fishing a match , I’ve got my top kits, maybe a feeder rod, a pellet wag rod, a bomb and pellet rod, maybe more, no way I could set that all up from scratc on the morning before match starts, as well as plumbing up lines, clipping up reels, organising bait, and side tray , keepnets, landing net, roosts, rollers etc

adriang

Site Supporter
Sorted out, and re-labeled my tubes yesterday, as I've thrown out my old (about 25 year old) holdall and it evolved into a larger sort. Need to buy a couple more tubes, I'll wait for the local tackle shop to open so they get some trade.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Look upon setting up your gear as part of your day. Yes I know you match types like to be ultra efficient but is setting up
really that much of a chore?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That makes sense chef star guess you'd have to get there about an hour before if not. Guess match river anglers must have to do a fair bit of tackling up on the bank though as be difficult to carry set up 3 piece float rods plus you wouldn't have much idea of how to rig them given how often the conditions change so much on rivers.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Look upon setting up your gear as part of your day. Yes I know you match types like to be ultra efficient but is setting up
really that much of a chore?
Not at all a chore mate ,as you say all about the anticipation of the day, just got to be practical ?‍♂️