Anyone still use rod tubes?

MarkC

Like most people I’ve been sorting my gear out in the shed and garage.
I was picking up rod rubes and finding quite a lot were empty due to the fact that like lots of anglers these days I carry most of my rods made up ready for use and I can’t see me ever breaking them down and putting back in tubes, so they are destined for the tip.
Does anybody make up a rod from scratch on commercials these days?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I do too but for entirely different reasons... in my match days everything was always ready to rock... even the pole... but nowadays part of the enjoyment of a days fishing involves setting up a rod and reel... sad but there you go.... guilty as charged...

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Like most people I’ve been sorting my gear out in the shed and garage.
I was picking up rod rubes and finding quite a lot were empty due to the fact that like lots of anglers these days I carry most of my rods made up ready for use and I can’t see me ever breaking them down and putting back in tubes, so they are destined for the tip.
Does anybody make up a rod from scratch on commercials these days?
Only numpties Mark 😂😂😂😂(tin hat on !!) joking aside, I still use for spare top kits, landing net handles, poles and spare 4,5 etc

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
i used too, but after i got a decent padded (internal seperation 2+3) rod holdall that took the need away for adding the extra weight, as the protection was built in

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I'm one of said numpties on the rare occasion I use a rod. I also don't have a ready rod holdall.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I still have all my rods in their bags... there is something cathartic about the setting up of a rod reel and rig, be it float or leger and that first cast( if it doesn't end up in a tree) is strangely therapeutic

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I always tackle up on the bank and store my more expensive rods in tubes. Really doesn’t take long to tackle up on the bank anyway (and the gear is safer taken down each time) but that time can be used to let the fish find or settle over your initial feed and it gives you the opportunity to observe and take in the conditions and surroundings.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've noticed that you can get Drennan Double Rod Sleeves that can attach to my 6-8 Tube holdall so I'll probably do that at some point. I remember before my break from and return fishing these things didn't seem to be about much so it's amazing what you can get now.

BTMS

Site Supporter
For a pleasure session make it up on the back. Theres nothing like getting the feeling fishing time is getting closer. Sometimes just watching the water distracts you though how many times I have missed a ring:whistle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah you’re risking a broken rod to save 5 or so minutes and that 5 or so minutes can be valuable for feeding or just observation anyway so I’ll always be a tackle up on the bank angler. Only time I don’t is if on holiday somewhere with fishing onsite and somewhere to store tackle set up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't use tubes or ready rod sleeves (except for the Carp rods). I set the rods up on the bank because it'll depend on conditions what I use when I get there.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Guilty as well, only takes a few minutes to set a rod up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah would be plenty takers by the sounds of it, seems the answer to your initial question was yes most people still set up on the bank and lots still use tubes!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yeah you’re risking a broken rod to save 5 or so minutes and that 5 or so minutes can be valuable for feeding or just observation anyway so I’ll always be a tackle up on the bank angler. Only time I don’t is if on holiday somewhere with fishing onsite and somewhere to store tackle set up.
Rods can’t get broken in a ready rod hold-all, and I don’t start feeding till i start fishing,or match starts, still plenty of time to observe

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some people would find away I’m sure haha. Also they’re good for feeder rods but not 3 piece float rods.

And yeah fair enough in matches but for pleasure fishing that feeding before and/or whilst setting up can often bring you that first bite much quicker than if you don’t feed til you start.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I use rod tubs and set up on the bank. However I have been toying with the idea of leaving my rods set up. Can anyone recommend a decent holdall, 3 rods max and a question, what do you actually mean by leaving them set up? I'm assuming you change terminal tackle after each trip.