Anyone still use Bloodworm?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Caster (1/2 Pint), Punch and occasionally Chopped Worm (had a wormery) were my additional baits (if needed) but I can't remember ever catching much on my 'bonus' fish lines.
Thing about punch is, and I don’t know if anyone else agrees, once it dies that’s it. No other baits will work on it. It’s a dead line. Finito. THE END.
I can remember dipping the tip of my pole in my crumb, then in the water where I’m fishing to just eeek a bit more time out of a punch line.
River? No problem. Somedays you can’t carry enough punch to your peg but canals and still waters?🤬🤬🤬

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thing about punch is, and I don’t know if anyone else agrees, once it dies that’s it. No other baits will work on it. It’s a dead line. Finito. THE END.
I can remember dipping the tip of my pole in my crumb, then in the water where I’m fishing to just eeek a bit more time out of a punch line.
River? No problem. Somedays you can’t carry enough punch to your peg but canals and still waters?🤬🤬🤬
I was just thinking about that myself, I was always wary to try punch and if I did it would be along the cut away from my other lines. Would occasionally get a Roach or two on it early on but it never lasted long for me.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
All this being said, I don't think I ever won a canal match in the 5 or so years I fished them every weekend over winter. :LOL:

JLK

Punch doesn't die as such. The fish just move off the line you've fed it on. That's why you have to have a plan with punch and have numerous lines in your peg for it to work well. In essence you have to be busy with it and maximise your entire peg which is what most people don't do. And that includes good anglers.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I was just thinking about that myself, I was always wary to try punch and if I did it would be along the cut away from my other lines. Would occasionally get a Roach or two on it early on but it never lasted long for me.
It was what you started on because you knew it would die after a half hour or so which gave your other lines time to settle. The exception was somewhere like March town center which gets solid with Roach every winter.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah that was one of the problems where we fished, not enough Roach to put a bag together of them anyway. I can't remember many matches being won with Roach.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Punch doesn't die as such. The fish just move off the line you've fed it on. That's why you have to have a plan with punch and have numerous lines in your peg for it to work well. In essence you have to be busy with it and maximise your entire peg which is what most people don't do. And that includes good anglers.
Yes you‘re right. But you could often do something with lines that you used other baits on, or just rest them. With punch though. Once it was dead, it was dead. My punch line was anyway😂

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If this thread goes on any longer I’m going to buy a Brennan & Hickman seat box, a steadfast four tube rod holdall, a Shimano diaflash 14m pole and a worm / joker match pack. Then I’ll go on the Beeston canal on a freezing cold day and blank 🙄. That will bring back the memories. 🤣🤣

JLK

See that's the thing. I might have three on the go on the inside. Two down the middle and another three across that's eight lines for 5 hours in what. 14.5m/16m of water by 25 paces left and right of yourself? Then there's the caster lines, chop worm lines and a gbait and squatt line to introduce somewhere in that area of water.
Basically lots of water to utilise and get the best out of in 5hrs.
Yet you still see folk starting anywhere between 8-11m on the whistle. They've basically blown 3/4 of their peg in the first 2 mins of the match.

Talking about narrow canals as such. Not their bigger brothers. 😀

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I still have the 3m 'carbon composite' whip I used to start on a lot if not starting on punch, used to bend in half on a Gudgeon. If I could catch on that line I'd usually stay on it for as long as possible. The occasional bonus Perch on it would be fun. Probably why I never really excelled at canal fishing as much as I enjoyed it. But yes, always had a few lines going.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
See that's the thing. I might have three on the go on the inside. Two down the middle and another three across that's eight lines for 5 hours in what. 14.5m/16m of water by 25 paces left and right of yourself? Then there's the caster lines, chop worm lines and a gbait and squatt line to introduce somewhere in that area of water.
Yet you still see folk starting anywhere between 8-11m on the whistle. They've basically blown 3/4 of their peg in the first 2 mins of the match.

Talking about narrow canals as such. Not their bigger brothers. 😀
I’m not intelligent enough to fish that many lines. I’d need a map. 🤣🤣

smiffy

Site Supporter
Yup. In this neck of the woods it would be punch short to start. Then groundbait and squatt as a main attack. Then choppy for a bonus fish or get out of jail line. Only on bloodworm banned matches though.
@tipitinmick. Still got a 14mtr Diaflash in the garage, and a waggler rod aswell.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I still have the 3m 'carbon composite' whip I used to start on a lot if not starting on punch, used to bend in half on a Gudgeon. If I could catch on that line I'd usually stay on it for as long as possible. The occasional bonus Perch on it would be fun. Probably why I never really excelled at canal fishing as much as I enjoyed it. But yes, always had a few lines going.
And when you foul hooked a big gonk you’d think you’d hit a bonus fish. 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yup. In this neck of the woods it would be punch short to start. Then groundbait and squatt as a main attack. Then choppy for a bonus fish or get out of jail line. Only on bloodworm banned matches though.
@tipitinmick. Still got a 14mtr Diaflash in the garage, and a waggler rod aswell.
I went to buy a Diaflash as the shop said they had one but, came away with an Ultegra. 🙄. I still have a Diaflash whip somewhere.

I think MD should organise a worm and joker match somewhere and watch us all struggle to put a joker on a size 28 hook. 🤣🤣

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I probably only needed to buy one tub of leam in my 5 year 'career' and still probably had some left. Was surprised I didn't find it in the base of my seatbox I sold to @warrington63 as I found this hook box in there. Some of my old 'canal' hooks, though probably mislabelled and I don't recognise many of the patterns. No Mustad Bloodworm 26s but there was a label from a pack of those in there. Has been 20 years mind.

2021-11-24 20.53.44.jpg 2021-11-24 20.54.09.jpg
Loaded the box today ready to take it to Warrington tomorrow to give to the grandson,
I found a solitary silver long shank hook in one of the drawers.
Managed to get a couple of rubber tips for the Octoplus legs, smallest size for walking sticks
Thanks again Steve ,he will be made up with it.