Anyone still use Bloodworm?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We probably were !! Lenny took me under his wing, I bought my first Browning pole from his shop in Bawtry. Used to be squatt in gb in summer with caster on the hook, B & J after 1st of November iirc. Which team did you fish for in those days?

Lenny s is R&R now if you didn’t know. Andrew ( drew ) and his missus owns and runs it. Lovely people. In 91 I’d be 24 so, either Barnsley or Goldthorpe John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice one! A few of the old hooks mentioned in that article. Any ideas on the red ones labelled 'P/Pole' 24 and 26?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo

I’ll check my boxes and let you know

@tipitinmick

I ended fishing a few matches for the Dons, winter leagues for Bawtry, but was also in RAF Team so much fishing not enough time to do it all.

By the way I was mostly pools fodder, honest guv!

Mmmmm me thinks not. Reading your posts I reckon you are one of those anglers that gave me grief. 🤣🤣. Always that one fish in front of me. 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If anyone wants that hook box just pay me P&P and I'll send it on. It holds a lot of memories for me but if it will go to a better home then so be it. (y) And that's if you don't mind using 20 year old hooks. :LOL:

Arch

Site Supporter
I used to fish the B&J a lot back when I match fished. I used to scrap my own Bloodworm from a local farm pond. Even got warned off by one of the big sellers of Worm at the time for scrapping there, even though I'd got permission off the Farmer. Didn't stop me though.

The Loughborough canal in winter was a favourite stomping ground, as was the Witham when it was allowed. The Bridgewater canal was another favourite. Get it right on those venues and you'd catch all day, quality Roach on the Loughborough canal on single Joker on an 28 or 30 Au Lion Dor to 0.5 hooklengths. We fed either neat Joker, or a light dusting of Grey leam just to get them down a little. Never G/B.

Four metre whip with a small ball of Bloodworm laced G/B a chuck on the Witham and you'd got the fish queuing up at the back end of the match when those who'd balled it long from the start were bite less.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
28s and 30s! I've heard of those but never considered it back in the day. :LOL: (y) 26 was small for me, to 0.06.

Arch

Site Supporter
I probably only needed to buy one tub of leam in my 5 year 'career' and still probably had some left. Was surprised I didn't find it in the base of my seatbox I sold to @warrington63 as I found this hook box in there. Some of my old 'canal' hooks, though probably mislabelled and I don't recognise many of the patterns. No Mustad Bloodworm 26s but there was a label from a pack of those in there. Has been 20 years mind.

2021-11-24 20.53.44.jpg 2021-11-24 20.54.09.jpg
Tubertini series 2
Drennan Carbon Caster
Drennan Carbon Match
Drennan Fine pole
The 6315 & 6311 are Sensas hooks I think.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I used to fish the B&J a lot back when I match fished. I used to scrap my own Bloodworm from a local farm pond. Even got warned off by one of the big sellers of Worm at the time for scrapping there, even though I'd got permission off the Farmer. Didn't stop me though.

The Loughborough canal in winter was a favourite stomping ground, as was the Witham when it was allowed. The Bridgewater canal was another favourite. Get it right on those venues and you'd catch all day, quality Roach on the Loughborough canal on single Joker on an 28 or 30 Au Lion Dor to 0.5 hooklengths. We fed either neat Joker, or a light dusting of Grey leam just to get them down a little. Never G/B.

Four metre whip with a small ball of Bloodworm laced G/B a chuck on the Witham and you'd got the fish queuing up at the back end of the match when those who'd balled it long from the start were bite less.

Balling it on a clear Beeston you’d catch well for 30 minutes then it was as dead as door nail. I saw it far too often. After killing your peg like that the only thing these numptys could do was go long with caster and hope for bonus fish.

Arch

Site Supporter
Balling it on a clear Beeston you’d catch well for 30 minutes then it was as dead as door nail. I saw it far too often. After killing your peg like that the only thing these numptys could do was go long with caster and hope for bonus fish.
My travelling partner and I worked out a plan for the Witham for our teams Drennan Superleague match on there. Four metre whip, 1grm float, small ball of Bloodworm laced G/B a chuck. We started off slow, but the peg came alive later in the match just when the early ballers were struggling for a bite and we'd end up overtaking them. We told our team mates what we'd worked out. They ignored what we told them and balled it. The team came last in the match, but both my partner and I won our sections. We were a little pissed off.

JLK

We used to fish like that with a specially made 0.5g carbo upturned and the carbon stem painted up.
Rig was fastened to mainline with a 1.5 inch link of nylon fastened with a peice of silicone to float bristle. Brilliant whip rigs for this style of fishing.

JohnL

Funnily enough never started on the worm over joker on small canals. First rig over the top was a flouro pinkie, then maggot. Went to the worm when couldn’t get a bite on anything else. Down here always fed a chop and caster line as close to the far bank as possible, joker the last resort on the shelf on both sides. I’ve still got some IM1’s but smallest is a 24.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Always used to find a part of my peg to put a bit of choppy. On hard days it was surprising how often a Tommy Ruffe would come to the chopped worm rather than neat joker. Plus a big Stripey was a massive bonus on a hard day, and those were the days they were likely to turn up.
On my local river red pinkie or even red maggot was a better hookbait than bloodworm. More durable and the more ragged it got the more it resembled a bloodworm😂
Yes, yes. I know I said worm and joker was the only bait you needed😂 but you only needed a couple of lobbys to chop and a pinch of hooker reds👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Caster (1/2 Pint), Punch and occasionally Chopped Worm (had a wormery) were my additional baits (if needed) but I can't remember ever catching much on my 'bonus' fish lines.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I don't think I've fished B&J for 25 years now ... and didn't do a whole lot before then - Pat O'Connor's matches on the Oxo were the last time.

The team I fished for did win a national on the Lancaster canal using joker (it was the year that the NFA messed up the rules and banned Bloodworm but still allowed joker). I was responsible for collecting and transporting the bait to the National - It came from a supplier in Barton-Under-Needwood. it was fabulous bait.

Before I joined them, BlackHorse won a winter league semi on (I think) the slough arm using B&J. iirc they used VDE special specifically due to its high salt content - which apparently made the jokers "dance" more.
Could be an old wives tale of course.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The two groundbaits I remember using a lot were Sensas Canal Noire and also Whizzo Purple Haze. Usually just thumbnail balls of it. I always preferred a dark colour groundbait, at least in winter which was when we fished canals.