Anyone still use Bloodworm?

JohnL

On the continent even the worm comes neat, no peat or soil. You buy by the number either 300 or 500 as standard packs. I think TaffysBloodworm now sells it neat as well.

The easiest way to tell where your joker comes from is to read the paper 😂😂 if it’s Cyrillic letters it’s from Russia.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Poland or Russia, polish joker is bigger and livelier, Russian smaller dormant but a darker red. The Russian joker keeps quite well in either an aerated fish tank or in damp leam (terre de somme) in the fridge.

This is a chap that knows about joker. This one post tells me you know John. I was in a match on the Stainforth & Keadby canal when Alan Scothorne walked past. He had a nosey at my white joker tray and said …. “ mmmmmm polish joker “ and walked off. I won my section with 9lb of roach and pommies but, came nowhere in the match. After the match I asked Alan what he meant by ‘ Polish joker ‘. He said ……. Never use Polish joker on a moving canal as they are way too lively and will end up 5 - 6m down your peg. That guy knows his onions I’ll tell ya. 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good knowledge! I miss this kind of fishing and unwrapping the newspaper. Our bloodworm used to come in soil, whereas the joker neat.

Our worm used to come in egg trays Steve. Joker was always neat. I’ve frozen my baubles off many a time scraping enough worm for the weekend. You don’t half get some funny looks from dog walkers when you’re up to your armpits in stinky water. 🤣🤣

The Runner

Site Supporter
. I don’t think I could see to put a joker on the hook now. Age ! What a wonderful thing. 😩
We used to use superglue…gel type was best. Little dab of it on lid or similar, dip bend of hook in, then dip hook to joker. Quick and didn’t burst them. Only had to watch out for a build up of the glue on the bend and get it off with fingernails.

Total

Site Supporter
This is a chap that knows about joker. This one post tells me you know John. I was in a match on the Stainforth & Keadby canal when Alan Scothorne walked past. He had a nosey at my white joker tray and said …. “ mmmmmm polish joker “ and walked off. I won my section with 9lb of roach and pommies but, came nowhere in the match. After the match I asked Alan what he meant by ‘ Polish joker ‘. He said ……. Never use Polish joker on a moving canal as they are way too lively and will end up 5 - 6m down your peg. That guy knows his onions I’ll tell ya. 🤣🤣
You can use onions with B&J?....Jeez, ya learn sumfink new heveryday....:oops:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We used to use superglue…gel type was best. Little dab of it on lid or similar, dip bend of hook in, then dip hook to joker. Quick and didn’t burst them. Only had to watch out for a build up of the glue on the bend and get it off with fingernails.

Brilliant. I never knew that. 👍

Did you ever come across a substance called Mystic ? It came in a tiny tube and once squeezed it quickly went ‘ rubbery ‘ Rolled gently between thumb and finger you could make it look like a bloodworm. We caught on it but, it was nowhere near as good as the real thing.

smiffy

Site Supporter
All of our sewage works are too clean now to find joker. Used to get it in the run off streams from them. Also explains why most joker comes from Russia, Hungary or any of the old eastern bloc countries😂.
The argument that the cost was prohibitive is just plain nonsense. You could get a match pack for 7-10 quid. That had both joker and a hooker pack of worm. I used to buy it by the half kilo and get a hooker pack of worm. I think it used to cost about 12-14quid. Thing is. That’s the only bait you took, no need to take any other bait. So that was your bait bill. Cheap as chips😉
As for bloodworm killing venues? I’m not convinced. We had two leagues on the same venue that used alternate Sundays. One allowed worm the other didn’t. Bloodworm never killed the other league. There was always fish to catch. Conditions were the only thing that knocked the fishing.
Much like squatt, joker could catch out the bonus fish, especially on a hard day.
Yes Zerkalo. Salt in the groundbait would kill your joker that’s why you never put it all in your mix at the start. Sensas did a canal mix, Canal Extra I believe, that didn’t have salt in that many used to use.
Grey leam to bind your joker on those days you fished it neat and damp leam to separate it.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
All of our sewage works are too clean now to find joker. Used to get it in the run off streams from them. Also explains why most joker comes from Russia, Hungary or any of the old eastern bloc countries😂.
The argument that the cost was prohibitive is just plain nonsense. You could get a match pack for 7-10 quid. That had both joker and a hooker pack of worm. I used to buy it by the half kilo and get a hooker pack of worm. I think it used to cost about 12-14quid. Thing is. That’s the only bait you took, no need to take any other bait. So that was your bait bill. Cheap as chips😉
As for bloodworm killing venues? I’m not convinced. We had two leagues on the same venue that used altenate Sundays. One allowed worm the other didn’t. Bloodworm never killed the other league. There was always fish to catch. Conditions were the only thing that knocked the fishing.
Much like squatt, joker could catch out the bonus fish, especially on a hard day.
Yes Zerkalo. Salt in the groundbait would kill your joker that’s why you never put it all in your mix at the start. Sensas did a canal mix, Canal Extra I believe, that didn’t have salt in that many used to use.
Grey leam to bind your joker on those days you fished it neat and damp leam to separate it.

Spot on. 👍. I never had any myself but, didn’t Sensas sell a tub of what they called ‘ joker separator ‘. Think it was just leam. 🤷‍♂️ Must have worked as I used to see a lot of anglers using it.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Brilliant. I never knew that. 👍

Did you ever come across a substance called Mystic ? It came in a tiny tube and once squeezed it quickly went ‘ rubbery ‘ Rolled gently between thumb and finger you could make it look like a bloodworm. We caught on it but, it was nowhere near as good as the real thing.
Yes, remember Mystic. Never did any good on it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only the vaguest memories of that here! Never tried it!

Back in the day Steve we used to squeeze lines of the stuff onto our seat boxes. My Brennan & Hickman seat box looked like I’d had a bad nose bleed. 🤣🤣. Sensible anglers ( me not being one ) used to squeeze it onto a bait tub lid. If the tube ever punctured in your box it stuck everything together like sodding super glue. 🤣🤣