Anyone still use Bloodworm?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back in the day it was the go to bait for me on canals over winter. Does anyone still use it? I think the only times I hear about it now are places like Evesham. Does not surprise me there as I always remember fishing being rock solid on some parts of the Warks Avon.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Only on lakes where it's allowed, and when I can get hold of it. Bloodworm and Joker can be a deadly combination.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's been so long since I've even tried to buy any I don't even know if my tackle shops would order it in these days, whereas they used to and also sell appropriate hooks on the shelves. I think I'd struggle to find a bloodworm hook in my shops these days. I'm glad I know how to fish it though, teaches you finesse and is a deadly bait.

rudd

Site Supporter
Never used it and only ever seen one other attempt it on waters I fish as an experiment.
A short lived experiment at that due to cost of obtaining bait from somewhere up North and as it was outfished by pinkies on the three days he tried it!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some will say it's expensive but going from memory for a winter canal at least, a £12 pack split between me and my mate was more than enough. You could easily have the same £6 bait bill on other baits.

Total

Site Supporter
Some will say it's expensive but going from memory for a winter canal at least, a £12 pack split between me and my mate was more than enough. You could easily have the same £6 bait bill on other baits.
^^ This....(y).....Folk can't be fagged to put the effort in and moan about this, that and the other and their apathy unfortunately spreads....As you say above team up with a mate, and split the costs including the leams and even with postage it works out a cheap bait day and often enough for another day....Providing your water allows it of course...

jononcb

Only places that do it now are Taffy's as posted above or North Notts Angling in Worksop.
Price is around £17 a match pack now though .
In our teams of 4 Silvers Winter League at Hallcroft we will just get a match pack between 4 of us.
Joker in the groundbait is more an attractant for the Skimmers.
Might need to resort to Bloodworm on the hook if we get a severe cold spell.
Best hooks still available are the Gamakatsu Green's.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Good to hear it's still used. Deadly bait. Agree on the Green Gamas although I remember Mustad and Kamasan also used to do suitable hooks in red or green. Down to size 26 when needed. (y)

The Runner

Site Supporter
Hardly seems to be used at all in the South now.
Used to be the only way to go on what was my local Slough Arm but in recent years as the canal got clearer and the roach shoaled up more tightly, punch outfished it virtually every time. And if you weren’t on the roach, small quantities of chopped worm was a better bet for the little perch which were probably all you were going to get, so people just stopped taking bloodworm and joker.
Having said that, last time I used it there came third on a Teams of 4 with two big skimmers on double blood over a big pot of joker, which were the only fish caught in 5 or 6 pegs.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think it largely predated my fishing or maybe is just not deemed necessary around here as I’ve not heard of it being used anywhere I fish. Closest place would be Evesham. Only time I’ve ever physically seen it is in the aquarium trade. Strikes me as one of those if it’s that hard I don’t want to be fishing there/then type of situations along with things like sub 0.08 bottoms and 22 and below hooks!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I read that bloodworm was banned at least one year at Evesham. Not sure if catches suffered as a result. Actually looking at the results it seems to fish better than I thought. We used to Bidford on the Avon if I remember right, always just with maggot, and it was usually dendro worm down the edge for Perch that did it for me. Hard matches at the best of times, at least for a junior club, so the canal matches over winter fishing for Gudgeon were a lot more enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Easy enough to scrape your own, (if you know where to look), and it's free; same for joker.

I also like to use my home tied bloodworm imitation flies when fly fishing and the Perch, Roach and Rudd are all happy to take them - as indeed are the Trout.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Used to... can't now... I'm highly allergic to it... was a good canal bait for roach and skimmers... won me a few bob too and a bit o silverware in the Essex Club League

JohnL

Still parts of the K&A you can fish it. Splitting packs makes it affordable. I always try and pick some up in Calais if I’m coming back from Belgium or France. Cheap as chips over there, €9 for 1/2 kilo of joker and normally about €3 for 500 worm. This gives me normally 3 days pleasure fishing, just need a bag of terre de somme to go with it.

davej1981

Can only remember ever using it once on junior match split across willow park and gold valley, possibly the all england youth pole championship. Never had a bite that day and never used it since

JohnL

Last of my full boxes of hooks, although I have an opened box of each. Check the price of the B611’s

Attachments

• B310F117-981B-4532-B404-F0A7D584C23A.jpeg
    B310F117-981B-4532-B404-F0A7D584C23A.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 22