Anyone NOT interested in the world cup...?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Northantslad Chris I hear what you are saying, I leave football to those that enjoy it. Just a few points I will pick up on.

At professional level there is the fourth match official watching each game for any thuggery or sleight of hand, think VAR for each player involved in any piece of play. It's very difficult to get away with any shenaningans these days. There is an old expression in rugby 'Body in the furnace, head in the freezer' and despite there being many opportunities for a bit of sneaky dirty play 'most' players don't even at amateur level, simply because if you did you would only get it returned back to you.

Having played on and off from the age of 8 to 35 I can count on one hand the amount of times I have had to result to using my fists and that only in standing my ground or payback for receiving similar. Rugby is by nature a hard physical game, getting hit by a hard clean tackle doesn't set you off wanting revenge, you just shake it off and play on. I used to drink with a bunch of guys on a Friday night and play rugby against them the next day and happily have a drink with them after the game, born of mutual respect.

I can't speak for football referees maybe they are un-communicative because they feel it's better to keep quiet than invite a discussion with one or more players squaring up to them, driven no doubt by the win at all costs attitude you alluded to. I do struggle to understand why the FA or FIFA tolerate some of the displays of rank dissent and yes aggression displayed at times by footballers to referees. There is an ethos within rugby that it is pointless to 'argue' with the ref, he isn't going to change his decision and a ref will only march a team 10 yards back for any dissent, I have personally seen a ref march a team (U14's) behind their own try line, because a single young lad lost his head and wouldn't quit haranguing the ref. His team mates soon stopped him. Respect for the ref starts very young in rugby can the same be said in football ? From my limited understanding of amateur football I think not, with kids learning from parents on the sidelines how to treat referees.

Rugby is far from a blameless sport when it comes to fair play, there is a lot more 'discussions' with the ref with players trying to win influence lately, is that gamesmanship or the thin end of the wedge, we will just have to wait and see,

If I was asked to improve football I would give the ref the power to send any player off that displayed an agressive attitude and give the opposition team a free kick half way between the middle of the pitch (circle) and the penalty area, that would sort a few things at least,

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Ah Mr Scribe i was expecting you....:)
Fair one mate and i get it. To be honest, i wasn't really thinking fists, more which is the more physical game and therefore more chance of thuggery, although use of the word thug by Arry/quoted by Arry, perhaps isn't the best word, as physical/over the top physicality and thug do tend to be linked, the actions of a thug.

Softies is usually levelled at footballers by those anti the sport, but again i would return to my points made for the cause of that.
I didn't recall seeing a thread during the six nations or rugby world cup, where fans of football took an opportunity to give Rugby a slagging, it only ever tends to work the one way and by some with an assumed higher ground of superiority too in cases, may be due to the different class based origins of the two sports.

Opinions though granted, but i just get a bit defensive of my preferred sport, but never go on the attack of anyone elses, defensive because of the way its going too (football), which isn't any fans of rugby's fault of course, just don't want the boot putting in when down really.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you like footie then fair enough, but for me the game was ruined with the influx of agents, money and foreign players... the whole ethos of the game became about money... and its made the game (for me ) abhorrent...
The constant trading of the Pundits on the 66 win is wearing in the extreme and some of the opinions are better than Saturday Night at The Apollo for hilarity... so I left the game behind to fester in a stew of its own making...
Football isn't the only sport (although some treat it as such) It is no longer "The Beautiful Game" its a farce.
And the international game (from an English standpoint has been ruined by the influx of too many foreign players meaning home grown lads don't get a look into a premiership team... Time The Premiership started looking at the cricket model of limiting overseas players to improve English players for international duty...

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
No worries Chris I get it if you love a game and it's under attack it's natural to defend it.

I do get that rugby or 'rugger' did have a perception of an upper/middle class game, maybe because it started at Rugby public school. I think those days are well in the past. In the same way that football was seen as a workingman's sport, no longer though given the amount of money in the game and the cost of a season ticket for a Premiership side, The rugby club I played for was made up of builders,brickies, plasteres some office workers and even a vet (handy when stitches were needed :ROFLMAO: I kid you not.)

The actual quote was that Rugby is a ruffians game played by Gentleman and football is the opposite and yes it has snobbery at it's roots and is no more true than 'all rugby players are thugs or thick' or 'all football players are soft' (Whatever happened to "Bites Yer Legs" Hunter ? :))

There is even a division between Rugby Union and Rugby League I have heard League fans dismiss the Union game as kick & clap and Union fans to decribe League as British Bulldog with a ball,

It's in the British Psyche I think to disparage sports or interests that don't coincide with our own, think of the divisions & derision in fishing for 'carpers, tiddler bashers or barbellers let alone the ridicule trainspotters suffer from. There must be a reason for it, but I am danged if I can figure out why.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I lost interest in football years ago... when players disrespected refs, when diving became rife and where a slight tap meant rolling about on the floor holding yer face and trying to get someone sent off...

Rugby, a game for thugs played by gentlemen. Football, a game for gentlemen played by thugs.

Sums it up for me
Google Joe Westerman knocking his kneecap back into place , then carried on playing .Would be an air ambulance for prima Donna footballers .

Northantslad

'Any indications?
No worries Chris I get it if you love a game and it's under attack it's natural to defend it.

I do get that rugby or 'rugger' did have a perception of an upper/middle class game, maybe because it started at Rugby public school. I think those days are well in the past. In the same way that football was seen as a workingman's sport, no longer though given the amount of money in the game and the cost of a season ticket for a Premiership side, The rugby club I played for was made up of builders,brickies, plasteres some office workers and even a vet (handy when stitches were needed :ROFLMAO: I kid you not.)

The actual quote was that Rugby is a ruffians game played by Gentleman and football is the opposite and yes it has snobbery at it's roots and is no more true than 'all rugby players are thugs or thick' or 'all football players are soft' (Whatever happened to "Bites Yer Legs" Hunter ? :))

There is even a division between Rugby Union and Rugby League I have heard League fans dismiss the Union game as kick & clap and Union fans to decribe League as British Bulldog with a ball,

It's in the British Psyche I think to disparage sports or interests that don't coincide with our own, think of the divisions & derision in fishing for 'carpers, tiddler bashers or barbellers let alone the ridicule trainspotters suffer from. There must be a reason for it, but I am danged if I can figure out why.
We do tend to deal in absolutes as a nation really mate, lover or hater is applied to many a thing.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

This is why I hate football... and its so pitifully prevalent I longer even find it funny