Anyone made a rig board?

rudd

Site Supporter
I'm sure that when you see the extent that some people go to make 'the perfect rig' it's more for confidence purposes than to catch fish.

There is an art in selecting and stringing shot out so that the line sinks and lifts in flowing water, but adding bulk shot onto a 6ft rig which is going to be lowered vertically into the water, somehow I can't see how a few inches here or there is going to make a difference to presentation as ultimately the bulk is more for bolt purposes than stability - isn't it?
Do you think fish sit examining 2 or 3 mm long shot in a muddy commercial coloured water.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I'm sure that when you see the extent that some people go to make 'the perfect rig' it's more for confidence purposes than to catch fish.

There is an art in selecting and stringing shot out so that the line sinks and lifts in flowing water, but adding bulk shot onto a 6ft rig which is going to be lowered vertically into the water, somehow I can't see how a few inches here or there is going to make a difference to presentation as ultimately the bulk is more for bolt purposes than stability - isn't it?
You are most probably right Dave , but the way I look at it, is if I’m going to spend time sitting and tying rigs , I’m going to do them as neat and accurate as I can 🤷‍♂️Its probably not as important as we tend to think it is , but it can’t hurt

rudd

Site Supporter
You are most probably right Dave , but the way I look at it, is if I’m going to spend time sitting and tying rigs , I’m going to do them as neat and accurate as I can 🤷‍♂️Its probably not as important as we tend to think it is , but it can’t hurt
Your right, why tie a rig with little care if taking time to make them yourself - would you tie a not so good rig for someone else to use. When tying any rigs or hooklength - if I start making errors (curly line for example) I stop and rest my eyes, may even stop for rest of evening.
But there is a massive difference in a summer paste rig to say a winter F1 or canal roach rig.
My point is - Some rigs need far more attention to detail than others.
Hence coloured water rigs jibe 😉

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

I’ve heard you sit up all night making up your. ‘ Dab ‘ rigs Dave. 🤣🤣. How is your sea fishing going on the river Wharfe pal. 😁😁

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm going to give the Wharfe another 24hours by which time I should be able to reach it with 16mtrs from my bedroom window ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to use the dining room table - it's 72" long

However I don't bother shotting up until I'm at the venue, tbh I can't see the point in buying a ton of shot to sit on line forevermore in the hope that one day it will get used, when for the sake of a minute I can shot up in daylight to suit the day. ;)
I struggle with my shovelhands putting shot or stotz on the line

so its much easier at home, with a mag lamp, stotting tool, pliers and warmth

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm the other way around, I struggle to see tiny shot in artificial light yet outdoors no problem.

Badger61

That's pretty posh (y)

Most of us don't have a tackle room but you've got a snooker table in yours. Well tidy as Godber would say :ROFLMAO:
It's pool table in my man cave. Doubles up as a table for sorting pole sections and rods out. Another project to offset boredom.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I made a simple version years ago. Just to make sure that my hooklength's always perfectly fit my Sensas hooklength wallet.