Anyone made a rig board?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Here's mine, half the length of my topkits. All marked with permanent marker then spray clear laquer over the top to seal. Spool held by a long coach bolt and wing nut and a pin centralises the line down to the hook length loop pin. Works for me. IMG_20200516_164558.jpg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to use the dining room table - it's 72" long

However I don't bother shotting up until I'm at the venue, tbh I can't see the point in buying a ton of shot to sit on line forevermore in the hope that one day it will get used, when for the sake of a minute I can shot up in daylight to suit the day. ;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

However I don't bother shotting up until I'm at the venue, tbh I can't see the point in buying a ton of shot to sit on line forevermore in the hope that one day it will get used, when for the sake of a minute I can shot up in daylight to suit the day. ;)
I couldn’t be doing with shotting rigs on the day, all my rigs are made up on the top kits , shorts and longs, might have to add a trimmer , but all I have to do is plumb the deck rigs up, and adjust the length of the rig....And it’s not a question of buying a ton of shot you’ll never use, just make what rigs you’ll use 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I couldn’t be doing with shotting rigs on the day, all my rigs are made up on the top kits , shorts and longs, might have to add a trimmer , but all I have to do is plumb the deck rigs up, and adjust the length of the rig....And it’s not a question of buying a ton of shot you’ll never use, just make what rigs you’ll use 🤷‍♂️
All mine are shotted at home, under a magnifying lamp, to make sure all the shot are the same, the splits are cut centrally to the correct depth and that they sit on the line with all the splits lined up, couldn’t be arsed doing that before a match.

markyboy

The problem I have is being a bit ham fisted, adding shot at the venue like that would likely damage the line, I shot at home then move shot and discard the line I added the shot to :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Jamie Hughes does that ,the only sponsored angler i know does . To much for me on the day. I even put hook lengths on and stretch them on my top 2s whilst setting up . Otherwise id need 3 hrs to set up 😁

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Jamie Hughes does that ,the only sponsored angler i know does . To much for me on the day. I even put hook lengths on and stretch them on my top 2s whilst setting up . Otherwise id need 3 hrs to set up 😁
I havent got a rig board (yet) i use the width of my arms stretched out for 6 ft and half again for 8 ft ish ,0ne dropper at the hooklength loop another at 5 or 6 inches then a bulk at another 5 or 6 inches slightly split apart or rigs done shirt button style depending on bait or where i intend to fish .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm sure that when you see the extent that some people go to make 'the perfect rig' it's more for confidence purposes than to catch fish.

There is an art in selecting and stringing shot out so that the line sinks and lifts in flowing water, but adding bulk shot onto a 6ft rig which is going to be lowered vertically into the water, somehow I can't see how a few inches here or there is going to make a difference to presentation as ultimately the bulk is more for bolt purposes than stability - isn't it?