Anyone know where I can buy 10mm or bigger sinking expanders please?

FishingNewbie

eBay, search "11mm expander pellets". Like most expanders they will probably need pumping to make them sink.

e.g.

Many thanks. I should have said that l already did that search 11 mm skretting expander pellets: Search Result | eBay

Problem is that all but the one you mentioned say floating, and the specific ones you linked says nothing. So far I've sent 4 questions in 2 weeks to that seller asking if they are floating or sinking but got no reply!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
But all expanders will float without pumping. They are originally floating pond feed pellets. Sonu make a sinking expander but I doubt they go as large as 10mm+.

FishingNewbie

But all expanders will float without pumping. They are originally floating pond feed pellets. Sonu make a sinking expander but I doubt they go as large as 10mm+.
OK, I'm learning sorry - I didn't realise that because so far I have only used the sonubaits ones that go up to 8mm and sink even when dry.
So just to clarify please so there is no misunderstanding - other than sonubaits, are you saying that ALL expander pellets are floating pellets, and they ALL become sinkers once prepared & 'expanded' to become 'hookable'?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
All expanders float except the ones that are treated to sink like the sonubaits ones but they dont go as big as 10mm.
All you need are standard Skrettings coarse pellets which are sold as 11mm.

FishingNewbie

All expanders float except the ones that are treated to sink like the sonubaits ones but they dont go as big as 10mm.
All you need are standard Skrettings coarse pellets which are sold as 11mm.
Many thanks. I have already tried the standard soaked skrettings pellets and found they are not so easy 'hook and durable' as expanders, deteriorating & braking up when soaked, or do you really mean skrettings FLOATING 11mm EXPANDERS?

If you really do mean their standard coarse pellets, how do you prepare them to be as hook & durable as expanders please?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You dont do anything to the pellet just use a bait band with the standard pellets or buy drilled Halibut in either 8mm and 14mm or Robin Red 12mm which can be hair rigged or a band pulled through the middle.
Smaller pellets you can use gelatine to make hook baits but it does not work with the very big expanders or standard pellets.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
If you fancy a little bit of DIY, check this out:

Can experiment and add fishmeal too if you want.

FishingNewbie

You dont do anything to the pellet just use a bait band with the standard pellets or buy drilled Halibut in either 8mm and 14mm or Robin Red 12mm which can be hair rigged or a band pulled through the middle.
Smaller pellets you can use gelatine to make hook baits but it does not work with the very big expanders or standard pellets.
Many thanks for your alternative suggestion. I realised that you can get bigger hair-rig-able pellets. I was specifically asking about soft hookable expanders.
I'm quite new to this, but when I've tried expanders, I found i was getting more bites than the hard pellets, although I appreciate that your bait stays on with a hair rigged hard pellet.

FishingNewbie

If you fancy a little bit of DIY, check this out:

Can experiment and add fishmeal too if you want.

Many thanks. I saw the video yesterday and bought the ingredients to have ago. I didn't really want the faff if I could buy some off the shelf but I'm gonna give it a go.

FishingNewbie

Update - I have bought a pack off Skrettings 11mm floating expanders mentioned above with the assurance that they will sink once prepared. Many thanks for everyone's support towards a newbie!

Now... I have not got a pump because i've only used sonubaits so far. I read a post on another forum where someone was suggesting that you can soak other makes, give them a little squeeze under water, air comes out, water sucks back in and they sink. Is this correct?
Does anyone have any other success in sinking them easily without need for a pump?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its very difficult to get the 11mm to sink with pumping alone because being so big they are like corks but you might get them to sink when pumped in warm gelatine.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Ken, I've absolutely no experience of pellets preparation & I hope you can help me out.
When you say smaller pellets, would they be 4mm & 6mm. If so, say you were preping a pint of 4mm pellets to become soft hookable pellets, what would be the process. How much gelantine would you use & do you use warm water for these as well?
Cheers, John

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its fairly simple one sachet of gelatine mixed with enough warm water to cover the pellets,leave them to soak half an hour for 4mm and a bit longer for 6mm then drain them on a maggot riddle bag up and in the fridge.
Pellets wetted will go off and mould will form so only do enough for your next trip, The ones you buy commercially are loaded up with preservatives so they keep longer.

FishingNewbie

Its fairly simple one sachet of gelatine mixed with enough warm water to cover the pellets,leave them to soak half an hour for 4mm and a bit longer for 6mm then drain them on a maggot riddle bag up and in the fridge.
Pellets wetted will go off and mould will form so only do enough for your next trip, The ones you buy commercially are loaded up with preservatives so they keep longer.
Ken... I bought some of the previously mentioned skretting 11mm expanders, soaked them in water for 1hr. They went soft without even pumping but cracked in places with no chance of them staying on the hook without falling apart. Most float, but a little squeeze under water makes them sink but they end up in bits! Any ideas please?

I've only used sonubaits expanders previously that you soak for at least 4 hours, can leave them in water or take them out and they don't crack up unless they get old or abused.

FishingNewbie

Hi Ken - thanks for the info so far. I've managed to soak them a 2nd time by wetting them a bit at a time, rather than swelling up quickly and the seem a little better. Can I just confirm please... when you said gelatine, do you actually mean glycerine - I get them mixed up!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
No its gelatine you use which can be found in powder form in the cake baking isle usually in any big supermarket.
You dilute the powder in the water you soak the pellets in.