Anyone interested in this

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The other thing I've just looked at in more detail the end eye whipping looks black.
It's not just the end eye. looking at the other couple of pics that show the top section, it seems a couple of the other whippings also look black.

trotter2

It always puzzles me why sellers don't disclose all faults. Do they honestly think the buyer won't complain to eBay about selling something which has faults which are not described in the description?.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
A couple of things are worth mentioning for those browsing with the intention to buy such rods.

1) Spigot joints. It's always good to see the joints assembled, the gap is important. On a new rod, I'd expect a gap of around 15mm (+- 3mm or so). 10mm wouldn't be terrible in an older rod. 10mm to 5mm and I'd be wary. Less than 5mm would have me expecting a very low price or avoiding totally. It's an indicator of lots of use or someone ill-advisedly rubbing down the joint. That applies to the joint between butt and middle sections. The gap between tip and middle is usually smaller from new. Anything with little or no gap is to be avoided completely.

The rods on the left are current models and haven't seen a great deal of use. The spigot smallest spigot gap is slightly less than 13mm, the bigger just over 15mm. On the right are two rods nearing 30 years old. The smaller gap is on the rod that has seen greater use. It's still over 12mm. The other gap is just shy of 15mm.

DSC_0357.JPG

2) Section lengths. People tend to believe that rod sections should always be three equal lengths. This is often the case in rods with overslide joints (but not always). It often isn't the case with spigot joint rods. I've had new and undamaged rods where the sections are gradually shorter from butt (longest), to middle, to tip (shortest). I also have examples where the butt and middle are the same lengths and just the tip is shorter.

3) Ring spacing. In a similar vein to point 2, many expect to see rings get progressively closer as they near the tip but still relatively evenly spaced rings. However, the ring spacing, especially on spliced tip rods, can sometimes seem very odd. On some rods, the second ring seems strangely close to the tip ring even when the rod hasn't been unfortunately shortened. On hand built rods, I'd also suggest that there can be inconsistencies between rods and/or batches of rods. Spacings, ring types and whipping colours are not necessarily exactly the same through entire product runs.

The following are three 13' Daiwa rods from the same match rod range. From the top, Power Waggler, Waggler, Stick Float (spliced tip). None have been damaged, all original and all three sections are slightly different lengths. In this example, it's the Waggler variant that has the slightly odd spacing.

DSC_0359.JPG

The following is two Daiwa rods from the same range. Stick Float (spliced tip) and Waggler. Again, both are undamaged and all original. It's also worth noting that the maroon whipping prevalent on both rods changes to black on the splice of the stick float rod. It remains maroon through the full length of the waggler rod. I suspect that most people would assume that the spliced tip rod (top) had been broken, I can assure you that this one hasn't ever been broken.

DSC_0358.JPG

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Sam Vimes thanks sam really excellent knowledge and advise on what to look for and the differences that coccur on these rods, I can honestly say I'm much better armed when looking at these rods. If a 14ft spliced comes on the market I would be interested.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If a 14ft spliced comes on the market I would be interested.
I may be wrong, but I don't recall Daiwa ever doing a spliced tip rod over 13'. If you find one, it may be a modified 14'(+) rod. Keep your eyes on the rod product codes if you encounter one.
The only spliced to rods over 13' I've encountered have been Tri-Casts and Browning Spheres. However, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a long spliced tip Harrison or two kicking around. I've little doubt that there will have been the odd offering from brands I don't tend to keep a close eye on.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Sam Vimes I've never seen a daiwa 14ft spliced, I may have seen a normark 14ft spliced, but I think your right the tri cast and browning are the ones. But I'll keep looking,

nejohn

Site Supporter
Pretty sure that some of the early Shimano rods were made in 14ft spliced tip almost certain the powerloop and powerloop x were available in spliced tip and the triple XS also rings a bell as being available in spliced tip. Also some Shakespeare rods like the vindicator and arial were spliced tip and 14ft also I had a 14ft precident which I am pretty certain was spliced tip also. Then you have some Bruce and Walkers, hardy's and possibly the leeda 7000 & 9000 range which I think did 14ft spliced tip rods. But I am not aware of a 14ft daiwa spliced tip

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
It would seem a spliced rod over 13 is a bit like hens teeth. But I'm happy with my rods for now unless one pops up.

trotter2

Harrisons do a gti blank at 14 ft, some of the older rods tend to be tip heavy when you get into 14 ft plus.. Shimano zms is another.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Connoisseur G and Spectron M2 ranges came well after and both included a 13' spliced tip model. I don't know for sure but suspect that the Spectron M2 will have been the last spliced tip rod that Daiwa offered.
Just an incidental update on this. I have a 2011 catalogue that features the Spectron M2 Spliced Tip (SM213S). I also have a 2014 catalogue that features a "new" Spectron range that doesn't include a spliced tip model.

After a good search around the www, I found a 2013 Daiwa UK catalogue that featured the Connoisseur G range that included a spliced tip rod (CNGM13S-AU). The 2013 catalogue does not include the Spectron M2 range. The Connoisseur G range is not listed as being new which suggests it may have been introduced in 2012 to replace the Spectron M2.

In a nutshell, it would actually appear that it was the Connoisseur G range, rather than the Spectron M2 range, that included Daiwa's last spliced tip rod.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Chris, you are the very definition of the word nerd (and I mean that in a nice way). You never cease to amaze me.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
A Conny G 13ft Spliced Tip was sold yesterday for a reasonable price on eBay: