Anyone heard of this being done?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
On a walk-about round the lakes, I was told about last Saturday's match. The match record was broke with a weight of 99lb 1oz and the winner disqualified. The reason was he had 88lb of 'silvers' in one net when it says in the match rules (which I have nothing to do with) states 50lb per net. Surely anyone who fishes matches on a regular basis can guesstimate what's in the net. The other net had 2 Carp to 11lb. There are spare nets about so why he didn't ask is beyond me.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
He obviously hadn't read the rules and assumed one net for silvers, and one for carp, and didn't think there was a limit on weight per net. What a numpty. Either that or he underestimated the size of the silvers.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
He obviously hadn't read the rules and assumed one net for silvers, and one for carp, and didn't think there was a limit on weight per net. What a numpty. Either that or he underestimated the size of the silvers.
Have you seen that rule book?
Memorising the Oxford dictionary would be easier! 🤣

Total

Site Supporter
....."Ahhhh, Keep Net weight rules"......"See rule book two!":oops:

uk rule book.jpg

ukzero1

Site Supporter
That's just the point...and why he was disqualified. He's a club member and a regular Saturday match angler, so there's really no excuse.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How long was the net, how much of it was in the water, size of the net, lots of variables regarding safe or not.

However rules are rules. A small discretion fair enough, but 38lb over?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
How long was the net, how much of it was in the water, size of the net, lots of variables regarding safe or not.

Regular match net (3mtr), and the match is 6 hours long. There is an allowance for discretion of 10lb and he knows it.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The sad thing about all of this is he had 88lb of Silvers in 6 hours and now that's a triviality.
Impressive net of fish.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Do you know if all of the silvers survived?
Unknown at this time. The thing is, if some do go belly up, there's no way of proving it was down to any injuries sustained when the net was lifted. :(

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
What a numpty. I get it’s harder to guess the weight with smaller fish, I struggle myself with anything under about 2-3lb.

Common sense should have told him he was having a good day and he’d better put another silvers net in. The problem is, common sense ain’t that common…

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
lets not all get on the oh that's a shocking amount of fish in one net, its not ! a 3m net properly stung out will cope no problem and they are obviously not all in there for 6 hours.

The issue is the obvious rule break for which he has been rightly disqualified. If knowing these rules it sounds daft to me to be over so much in one net....
But does not take away from what is an impressive catch.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Surely its more to do with the fish at the bottom getting crushed with 80lb of fish above them when lifted from the water.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
lets not all get on the oh that's a shocking amount of fish in one net, its not ! a 3m net properly stung out will cope no problem and they are obviously not all in there for 6 hours.

The issue is the obvious rule break for which he has been rightly disqualified. If knowing these rules it sounds daft to me to be over so much in one net....
But does not take away from what is an impressive catch.
See my answer to Dave above. It certainly is far too much in one net.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Regular match net (3mtr), and the match is 6 hours long. There is an allowance for discretion of 10lb and he knows it.
Pete. I've just had a look at the match rules in the club handbook....

8. All keepnets to be as specified as per EA licence, and must have been dried thoroughly before use on our ponds.
A maximum of 50lb per keepnet is allowed. Large carp (3lb plus) must be kept in a separate net from silvers.

There's no mention of required length of nets, neither is there any mention of a discretionary 10lb allowance.
Something you might want to point out to the committee. ;)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Before net limits did we have lots of fish deaths? Limits are a relative new idea and show we have conservation at the heart of the sport. However, I recall seeing 100lb plus nets of fish on the Witham at the start of most seasons with no outcry. A rule is a rule though

chris1967

Site Supporter
50lb of silvers still seems alot , I tend to put 50lb of carp in a net then start a new net but at some places that may be only 3 fish . At the weigh inn your the one who has to lift it out.
Boils my pi££ when some divvy has filled his net then whines he can’t lift it