Anyone had a sleep study???

Status
Not open for further replies.

priorykc

Hi All

Just found out that I'm being admitted to Papworth Sleep centre to investigate why I repeatedly stop breathing at night and snore so loudly.

Anyone had studies done there as Im a bit nervous and dont really know what to expect

kim

mangrojack

nervous about the studies?

id be more bothered the fact you stop breathing lol

Larry

Lazarus
there was a programme last week on tele about exactly the same subject.

grubby

this is called sleep apnia.all it involves is sensors all over your body,they then monitor you whilst you sleep.there is no needles involved.
just a bit hard to get to sleep with all the wires on you,and you probably wil think that you cant sleep with all of them on,but tiredness does kick in and you will sleep like a baby.
there is nothing to worry about.
good luck

Jen

Made in Yorkshire
I've been watching that programme Larry, because my hubby could wake the dead with his snoring [:D][|)]

Kim, if you want to watch it, its repeated Thursday night at 7.30pm on BBC2, its called Sleep Clinic.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Is the medical term for it Sleep Apnea ?
http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/sleep_apnea.htm

Mate of mine had it and they found he had nasal polyps - had a half-hour operation and has been sorted ever since (cured his snoring too)

I don't remember him being admitted to any sort of sleep disorder unit - he just went down the local Ear, Nose and Throat hospital (RIP The Infirmary[:(!]) and they diagnosed the problem.

Simon

ubat

Don't worry Kim,
The first night is normally with just a clip-on probe on a finger, it measures your heart beat and soluble oxygen in your bloodstream.
The sleeping wards can be mixed and a little noisey.
The following morning you will talk about the results of your sleep test, if like me you stop breathing during the night, you may be asked to stay another night with a mask on a cpap, an amazingly good machine which keeps the airways open.

Take some bread and visit the pond, just like my swim last week [:D][:0][:D]

red baron

let me know how you get on I'm waiting to hear from my local hospital for the same complaint

EvilD

snoring loudly is whats stopping you breathing its he wife smoothering you with a pillow ;)

chrishowe425

my dad snores loudly and stops breathing in his sleep.

he had this done and they filmed him sleeping and he woke up 3 times with his hand down his boxers[:p]

midge99

My dad has this sleep apnea and has had for as long as I can remember. A few years back he got one of this machines, now it's not his snoring that keeps you awake it's the blody machine

ubat

Bet the machine is lot quieter than the snoring, mind you, if the mask slips you can start snoring again, then you have both [:0][:0][:0][B)]

priorykc

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm sure i'll be fine its just the unknown.

it does worry me that i have only had to wait 3 weeks from GP to being admitted, in fact I was in the process of going through medical insurance to arrange a private consultancy as I thought it would be at least 6 to 12 month waiting list!

I'll post when I get back next week. I'm hoping I wont be on the telly as it would definately spoil peoples dinner!!!

Kind regards to all who have posted

kim

grubby

priorykc.trust in what i posted ,as what was on tv is nothing like what you are having done.they will put some sticky pads on you and monitor you the worst bit will be the taking off of the pads ,especially if your hairy.

the lake lady

The Bitch
i am waiting to have one done
after my recent stay in hospital and keeping half the ward awake with my snoring and period on none breathing i have to go and find out if i have Sleep Apnia
i only hope they can sort it out as i am sick of waking up hearing loud snoring but when awake it stops

solderblue

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH SLEEP APHNEA 3 YEARS AGO ANYTHING I CAN HELP U WITH JUST LET ME KNOW

PAUL

priorykc

I have started another post describing what happened during the study and the outcome

http://www.maggotdrowningcom/forums/threads/55563

Status
Not open for further replies.