Anyone fishing this weekend?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
club committee just re-opened our lakes and ponds, and certain sections of the canal

those lengths where public footpaths are within 10 foot of the pegs-platforms or plain banks are closed until further notice, due to the public having access too

good enough for me

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Took a look at the river yesterday by where I work - unfishable for a few days yet, carrying a lot of water and the colour of sludge, so I’m staying home in the warm and playing Lego with my boy.

Zerkalo

A big well done to anyone who caught anything today or does so tomorrow! I didn't! No signs of life at all on the river and first time I've ever blanked there. I wasn't too cold today, no frost on the ground, but the water must have been freezing after all the snow that's gone through recently, that's my excuse anyway! :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo that’s why I going to leave it until we are around a week into the milder spell before I try. All the rain, snow and cold we’ve had for so long now will have knocked the fish for six to an extent that it might take a while for things to settle again.

Fair play for giving it a crack though 👍🏻

Zerkalo

Thanks mate. It was nice to be on the bank but I think you're right, hopefully some of the warmer rain I saw forecast next week will do it for a week or twos time!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Might be longer than I thought here. Was showing around 8 degrees from midweek but now down to 6 which probably won’t be warm enough make much difference. Will keep weather watching for a window of genuine opportunity I think.

Zerkalo

Yeah, roll on Spring really... but I will probably out again before it's really ready, telling myself it only needs a bit of warmth to make a difference, I think I'm over enthusiastic but prefer being on the bank to stuck inside.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Majority of customers today again sea anglers mostly for bait but have sold some maggots to the few that might find some ice free water, lures,braid and various rig making gear are popular.
All seem to be keeping local unlike when the 2/3/4 tiers were in force.
Had lots of deliveries this week from various suppliers mostly back orders going back to July in some cases and the first letters regarding future price increases around 10% due to carriage charges they say.

ATTICUS FINCH

A big thumbs up for those that ventured out and the same for tomorrows bank siders.
I'm not a fan of pleasure fishing ,and I'm not a fan of fishing on my own ,so with matches being on the back burner and it being bloody cold and not being able to travel to far and not being able to go with anyone and the fact I really can't be arsed . I'm not going anywhere.

Sad Teacher

Club opened local water, walked 5 miles round trip (go everyday like that) lake frozen as expected . Me and the ducks shared a few square metres that was not frozen, I have learnt that casting a soft plastic onto ice is not good!

rudd

Site Supporter
Majority of customers today again sea anglers mostly for bait but have sold some maggots to the few that might find some ice free water, lures,braid and various rig making gear are popular.
All seem to be keeping local unlike when the 2/3/4 tiers were in force.
Had lots of deliveries this week from various suppliers mostly back orders going back to July in some cases and the first letters regarding future price increases around 10% due to carriage charges they say.
Yes, the price of shipping from Far East at all time high + low sulpher fuel charges + port congestion charges + rise in admin charges (clearance, port charges etc etc).
Costs get passed along through to final end user.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Fished the river weaver today, the first time in a couple of years, a bit of a waiting game before the first bite, but ended up with 8 chub all between 2lb and 2lb 8oz all caught on the stickfloat with single maggot as hookbait, very simple tactics. Rod was a 15ft drennan ultralight, coupled with an old abu 1044 from the collection.
Will have to return soon, and its the nearest venue to where l live so even better.
Rubbish pics though.
IMG-20210110-WA0012.jpg IMG-20210110-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a wander down to River Don in Beeley woods. 9ft rod with 6x4 stick float and a size 16. Using dead reds as couldn't get any live from local tackle shop. Slow going to begin with, spent a bit of time roaming upriver to try and get first bite. Ended up with 3 Brown trout and 5 Grayling. Nothing record breaking but nice to be out on banks

Attachments

• 20210110_134603.jpg
    20210110_134603.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210110_141349.jpg
    20210110_141349.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 5

Sad Teacher

Hi Steel City. I live in chesterfield looking to fish the Don. Would Berley woods be a good place to start ex lockdown??

Hi Steel City. I live in chesterfield looking to fish the Don. Would Berley woods be a good place to start ex lockdown??
Depends what you are wanting to target. Beeley woods section is chock full of grayling and Brown trout but there isn't that much else. I've heard tell of a few chub and barbel but I haven't seen any myself.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Me and the boy fished...and blanked. Hey ho, the ice had only just melted and I think we could’ve done with some maggots.

Browner

Fished the river weaver today, the first time in a couple of years, a bit of a waiting game before the first bite, but ended up with 8 chub all between 2lb and 2lb 8oz all caught on the stickfloat with single maggot as hookbait, very simple tactics. Rod was a 15ft drennan ultralight, coupled with an old abu 1044 from the collection.
Will have to return soon, and its the nearest venue to where l live so even better.
Rubbish pics though.
Blimey. With chub fishing like that, I’d be there ever week. Forget all the commy’s give me chub and roach on the river anyday in any weather.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rubbish pics though.
Went for a wander down to River Don in Beeley woods. 9ft rod with 6x4 stick float and a size 16. Using dead reds as couldn't get any live from local tackle shop. Slow going to begin with, spent a bit of time roaming upriver to try and get first bite. Ended up with 3 Brown trout and 5 Grayling. Nothing record breaking but nice to be out on banks
Good old chub, grayling and trout eh, if you had to name 3 species to catch when it’s brass monkeys they’d be the ones!

Well fished lads 👍🏻