Anyone fished eye kettleby lakes?

Stufish

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has fished any of the above lakes. I'm going there in the caravan next week and I'm looking forward to a bit of fishing and according to their website lake 5 holds some big perch. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance, Stu.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Great fishing, great caravn Park best shower blocks I've ever used. and spotlessly clean.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Great fishing, great caravan park, best shower blocks I've ever used and spotleslly clean.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Hi Stufish,

I haven't fished Lake 5 itself, but I know a man that has @Geoff P who should be able to give you the low down.

I take it you have looked at the Eye Kettleby website info about lake 5 here

Eye Kettleby is a cracking place I know of a few MD'rs that visit it every year.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I fished lake 5 last september for a couple hours, nothing but skimmers, but then i didn't have worms or anything so couldn't target the Perch.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lakes 3 and 5 are my favourites at Eye Kettleby. Lake 3 for the crucians at the narrow end close to the bank and reeds, and 5 for the chance of catching a decent perch.

I used a pole when I fished there. On Lake 5 I fished at 9 - 11 metres in about 8 feet of water, the peg was halfway up on the Glamping pod side next to a large tree. Fed a mix of groundbait and pellets and fished either caster, maggot or corn over for skimmers, roach, a few decent bream and the odd carp. (There are plenty of roach and skimmers). I fed a margin line, about 1 metre from the bank with micro pellets mixed with chopped worm and caster. Worm on the hook caught me several perch, biggest about a pound and a half, caster or corn led to a few crucians but in the evening the carp took a liking to whatever I put on the hook as long as the feed was going in.

Not able to get to Eye Kettleby this year and fishing is hard with severe arthritis in my left knee and hips. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Geoff P Sorry to hear you are having trouble with arthritis to the point it stops you enjoying what you love. Was good to meet up with you when you came down. Hopefully you will make it back to Eye Kettleby for that day's fishing together. (y)

Stufish

Lakes 3 and 5 are my favourites at Eye Kettleby. Lake 3 for the crucians at the narrow end close to the bank and reeds, and 5 for the chance of catching a decent perch.

I used a pole when I fished there. On Lake 5 I fished at 9 - 11 metres in about 8 feet of water, the peg was halfway up on the Glamping pod side next to a large tree. Fed a mix of groundbait and pellets and fished either caster, maggot or corn over for skimmers, roach, a few decent bream and the odd carp. (There are plenty of roach and skimmers). I fed a margin line, about 1 metre from the bank with micro pellets mixed with chopped worm and caster. Worm on the hook caught me several perch, biggest about a pound and a half, caster or corn led to a few crucians but in the evening the carp took a liking to whatever I put on the hook as long as the feed was going in.

Not able to get to Eye Kettleby this year and fishing is hard with severe arthritis in my left knee and hips. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Sorry to hear that you won't be able to fish there this year but thanks for the advice, I'd probably like to catch crucians as much as perch. Unfortunately I haven't got a pole but I'm sure I'll muddle through with a waggler or perhaps a feeder. Thanks again, Stu.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I was hoping to fish one of the lakes not the shower block! Only kidding, have you ever fished lake 5?
Can't remember if I fished lake 5 or not I would have to see a site map to confirm but I had no perch at all from any lake there.

Enjoy your stay.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Just had a look and yes I did fish lake 5. I fished the end of the lake that backs onto lake 4. Back handed a pellet waggler just under the over hanging tree off the island and caught carp literally all day 12" deep. It was the best days fishing I had duing my stay there.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Fair amount about it on my blog (sorry for the ad) www.rivertrentangler.com fished it the season before last. Lake 4 has some cracking Crucian carp, and had them up to two pounds, no bigger. The lakes are full of mixed fish, not a carp puddle at all. All the lakes are good, just I liked the Crucian fishing. There are plenty of carp and they get caught, but not to the exclusion of other fish. Hope it helps buddy?

Stufish

Just had a look and yes I did fish lake 5. I fished the end of the lake that backs onto lake 4. Back handed a pellet waggler just under the over hanging tree off the island and caught carp literally all day 12" deep. It was the best days fishing I had duing my stay there.
That's another new fangled method that I've yet to try! Being a returnee to fishing I still plumb the depth and fish on the bottom, has that developed from match fishing? Thanks for the advice, Stu.

Stufish

Fair amount about it on my blog (sorry for the ad) www.rivertrentangler.com fished it the season before last. Lake 4 has some cracking Crucian carp, and had them up to two pounds, no bigger. The lakes are full of mixed fish, not a carp puddle at all. All the lakes are good, just I liked the Crucian fishing. There are plenty of carp and they get caught, but not to the exclusion of other fish. Hope it helps buddy?
No need to apologise for the ad as your blog looks like just the sort of thing to help me catch up. Me and my brother used to fish the Trent for barbel at kings Newton many years ago but they weren't the monsters that they catch nowadays. Thanks for the advice and the link, Stu.

The Big Fella

Hi

lake 3 is shaped like a key the narrow end is very uneven bottom but is prolific for crucian sand skimmers on soft pellet/ expander with micros.

You don’t need to fish far out only 7-9mtrs and there’s loads of bites to be had feeding little and very often

However they average a lot smaller than the size mentioned in above post....

Lake 4 is the most prolific I would say but does get busy for the size of the lake but it’s better in middle of week than weekend as less congested!

Tactics on that one normal waggler, pellet waggler fishing shallow casting regular trying to get fish competing up in the water or even method on tip it doesn’t matter. Plenty of carp to be hard....

All the lakes are pretty good 4/5/7 and don’t ignore the margins Literally hugging the grass In 12inch to 24inch later in the day catches the better Wiser fish Upto 10lb ish👍

Stufish

Hi all, we got back from eye kettleby today and as people have mentioned it really is a lovely place. I didn't get to fish lake 5 as I fell for the charms of lake 3 and it was more sheltered from the windy weather, I fished maggots, pellets or corn and had skimmers, roach, hybrids and carp ( unfortunately no crucians). I only managed to fish for a couple of days due to the weather but enjoyed it that much we're going back at the end of September! Thanks to everyone for the advice, Stu.