Anyone fished Chew?

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Got my alarm set and fingers crossed to get a ticket to fish chew valley when they go on sale.

Outrageously expensive but me and my fishing buddy decided to treat ourselves. Has anyone fished it and got some hot tips for us should we be lucky enough to get a ticket?

squimp

Site Supporter
IF you get a ticket; Fish hard and hope for the best. It is usually slow fishing, but the fish are there. Read stuff by people like Nev Fickling which will give you an idea of how often even experienced Angler’s blank there. Make sure you understand all the rules.

if I was you, I would have started this thread AFTER the tickets go on sale !

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Not personally but a mate of mine used to fish it with his fishing partner

He lives in Newton Aycliffe Co Durham so its a fair old drive down down there, used to try and make 2 days of it with an odd day somewhere else to make the drive worthwhile
Spent about 3 or 4 winter seasons doing nothing but that without much to show for it, think one 20lb fish was the best they managed over that time although it did produce 30's for other anglers when they were on the water

It worked out as expensive as hell to keep doing that and their best fishing was the extra days out they got on other waters like the Wye, based on cost, with digs and boat tickets etc and returns for their efforts, its not something he does anymore

If you can catch it right then theres some very big fish come out, fingers crossed you manage to connect with a croc, thats what its all about, the unknown and the excitement of knowing your very next fish could be a real monster

Make sure you take the very best of fresh baits and some big deep diving lures

KevinT

Hi

I know a few guys who've fished it over the years - they all had good fish, but not one of the big girls that came out every year

Been a few years since I spoke with them as I don't pike fish much anymore

Both bank and boat fish well - if I was going I would opt for boat and use an echo sounder to locate likely areas and bait fish

If you have a few hours go to "The Pikers Pit" register and read all the stuff wrote about Chew - it had it's own forum page at one time

Good luck and tight lines

KevT

1577990889145.png

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
IF you get a ticket; Fish hard and hope for the best. It is usually slow fishing, but the fish are there. Read stuff by people like Nev Fickling which will give you an idea of how often even experienced Angler’s blank there. Make sure you understand all the rules.

if I was you, I would have started this thread AFTER the tickets go on sale !
I wanted a ticket last year and missed the sale date. I was too excited I hadn't missed it again to resist a post ?

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
I used to fly fish there fairly regularly. We used to get takes from big perch and moderate sized pike by accident on big lures while using lead core shooting heads for trout in the deeper water. The pike would usually break the tippet or just come off at some stage, but the perch were fun.

rudd

Site Supporter
Is that the big trout water where massive jerk or crank baits are used?
Read an AT article in my youth - an if only I could fish there type!

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Tickets bought, saturday on a boat and sunday from the bank.
Cost more than my annual club ticket so hope I don't blank!

Anyone know if you can hire fishfinders anywhere?