Anyone else?

robinta

.... struggled to catch in the heat recently.

Fished today and had a good, varied but frustrating day.

Had a few carp early along with some lovely barlbel. Then as it got hotter it died for carp. Plenty cruising around so I could have tried mugging... However, I was coaching my son, so fishing a longish pole isn't really on the menu yet.

Normally the margins are great here, but it was pretty devoid until about 2-30 when It was like throwing a proverbial switch and they went crazy.

spent a good few hours struggling to get bites around the peg apart from the occasional nice silver and small Roach.

So I don't know if it was just the heat (it's the hottest day I think I've ever fished on)... wrong peg, or just down to me.

On a positive note, we did manage 9 different species so that made a real change.

Anyone else struggled during the heatwave recently?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Yes, the fish in my favoured stillwater all but shut up shop. Between the carp spawning a couple of weeks back and the tench spawning in the last few days, I doubt that any fish has gone hungry. I know what I'm like in warm weather after a good feed, that's what the fish have been like. Despite the lake approaching thirty acres and averaging about 15' deep, it's like a warm bath at the moment.

The river isn't much better. An eighty year old with a dodgy prostate and dicky kidneys could produce a greater flow.

With a bit of luck, the stormy downpour we had this afternoon will have reduced temperatures somewhat and tomorrow might be a better day. I'll not be holding my breath though. We really need a day or two of rain.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t say I’ve ever really struggled in the sort of temperatures we’ve had this week in fact have had some really good days in such temperatures over the years. When it’s getting close or hitting 30 I’ve had some struggles over the years for sure though.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
thing is it comes down to the water quality in each water and as such some places may fish and some dont, the heat has a bearing but oxygen has a much bigger bearing on how the fish react so heat and environment matter but not as much as that and if you have loads of weed or a sudden algae bloom it can turn the fish off or worse still suck all the oxygen out and kill everything.

mind you fish are like us, if its really sunny and you arent hungry or you get too hot to want to eat and think i will just laze in teh sunshine, drift around and eat later when its cooler and i feel a bit more energetic.

Same as fish diets can change especially before or after spawning when i have seen carp munching on fry as they need the protein (and it can be a very easy and plentiful food source) and things such as salt from little things in the weed and snails etc.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Struggled on a club water the other day where I normally do well. Only had one carp of around 3lb plus a smattering of roach. Normally manage a few crucians & tench off this water in the summer. This was fishing from 3pm until 7pm.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Did an evening match on the local club lake on Wednesday evening 18.00 - 21.00. I said at the draw, "water clear as a tap, high pressure, not a cloud in the sky. What could possibly go wrong"?
Man right to me had a minute Perch and a minute Roach. Man left to me had a minute Perch. I didn't get a bite.

davylad

Site Supporter
The fish do seem to change their habits after getting battered day in day out, we've just got to try and keep ahead of it. Not easy, but sometimes the old fashioned ways work now and again. I fished caster like I would have done years ago yesterday, had to fret and wait ages before they became confident, then built a decent weight up. I suppose it's just having the confidence in what you're doing, sometimes not easy.