Anyone else missing their fishing fix?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's too cold where I am right now. Walking the dog has left me frozen never mind sat still fishing.
Must say I don’t feel like I’ve been missing much with the weather we’ve had the last couple weeks. Flooded rivers and freezing temperatures are about as unfishy conditions as you can get! Only blessing is it’s been nice and calm.

CarpCatcher86

Must say I don’t feel like I’ve been missing much with the weather we’ve had the last couple weeks. Flooded rivers and freezing temperatures are about as unfishy conditions as you can get! Only blessing is it’s been nice and calm.
Targeting pike has been fun, unless you can drop a bait or a lure right on the end of their nose then forget it. Any pike I have caught in such whether conditions as we are experiencing now I have put down to pure luck.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Targeting pike has been fun, unless you can drop a bait or a lure right on the end of their nose then forget it. Any pike I have caught in such whether conditions as we are experiencing now I have put down to pure luck.
I think a lot of winter fishing is like that as the fish just aren't willing to move much for anything when it's cold

CarpCatcher86

I think a lot of winter fishing is like that as the fish just aren't willing to move much for anything when it's cold
I've said before that people shouldn't have so much time off over christmas/winter. it's cold it gets dark too early, more often that not it's throwing it down with rain sleet or snow, and for those who want to fish, the water is frozen and the fish don't want to move or feed anyway.
I couldn't believe the ice breaker thread the other day, as funny as it was in parts. If I had to start a days fishing by breaking through ice to give me a clear path to the water, that would be clear indication that I should be sat somewhere warm and dry enjoying a nice breackfast and a brew, or still be in bed.
I did start off one days fishing by breaking through ice with a mate many years ago. We were fishing at Raygill Fisheries, not far from Skipton. Even though it was a cold ish morning, we encountered no ice or sign of snow during the hour or so drive, but when we got there, it was a lot colder than where we had come from, the whole area around the waters were covered in snow along with several inches of ice on the water. I managed to fashion a breaker out of a length of blue rope and a 2ft length of heavy chain. By the time me and my mate had cleared an area of water to fish in, it's safe to say we were both well and truly frozen, even through waterproofs and thermals. Luckily the onsite cafe was open so we went for a breakfast and a brew, during which time we managed to dry out and warm up a bit. We stayed and did catch quite a few fish in five hours or so, both of us once again frozen and wondering why the hell we had bothered. We were the only idiots, I mean anglers on the water, even the people in the shop and cafe seemed surprised that anyone had turned up given how cold it was.
I learned two very important lessons that day, when it's cold, stay close to home, also if the water is frozen over when you arrive, leave it like that and go home. The fish will still be there when the sun comes out again.
Being mobile with deadbait or lure rods on the hunt for pike can help a bit, not spending too long sat still. But even still you end up freezing cold and or wet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've said before that people shouldn't have so much time off over christmas/winter. it's cold it gets dark too early, more often that not it's throwing it down with rain sleet or snow, and for those who want to fish, the water is frozen and the fish don't want to
Have always thought the Aussies, kiwis etc that have their Christmas and new year time off at the height of summer have lucked out 😅

CarpCatcher86

Have always thought the Aussies, kiwis etc that have their Christmas and new year time off at the height of summer have lucked out 😅
Exactly, how fair is that? We send a load of law breaking criminals to Australia, after which they get to spend their christmas on a beach covered in sun tan oil while we sit here freezing our arses off. I wish now my great great great great great grandad had been a criminal. I would be there now with sand instead of rocksalt and ice under my feet.