Anybody still using film?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I recently dug out a couple of old SLR film cameras, and found that the batteries are U/S.
There's a Pentax and a Practica, with some excellent lenses, and they could probably do with a good service. Presumably this is still possible?

Comparing results from my current digital Nikon and those from my old film cameras, the old cameras are superior.

I like the ease and immediacy of digital, but I'm still not convinced by the quality.

I also scanned in a load of my old colour slides, and the detail and tonal range available from a 35mm colour slide is just staggering! Maybe that's the way to go, rather than having colour prints developed.

Anybody know how much colour film and developing costs these days? My old favourites were Kodak Gold 200 ASA or Fuji 100 ASA slide film.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciate.
[:)]

DFL

Site Supporter
Do miss the vibrant colours that Kodachrome 64 and Ektrachrome 25 gave.

davylad

Site Supporter
That's a cracking topic Dave, and I'm sure you'll get different opinions. Personally I reckon if I got myself a medium format camera, It might be worthwhile using film, as the resolution can be amazing. On the other hand, the benefits you gain with digital, for me will far outweigh the former. I have a Canon A1 (fantastic SLR) in the loft with a film in it, and I keep saying I'm going to finish the roll and take it in, just to see what's on it. There's no excuse for anyone not taking decent pics with a digital camera, even a cheap one, but it was slightly different with film, there was always an element of doubt until you had them developed

nejohn

Site Supporter
Like many others I still have a film camera tucked away (Nikon F3) and yes it was a brilliant camera and when you got it right the results could be stunning and very satisfying as you knew you had done everything to compose and expose the picture. I was very reluctant to go down the digital route other than for holiday snaps etc as I was not convinced about the quality of the images. I did however take the plunge with a Nikon FD3200 digital SLR a couple of years ago and I have to say I have been very impressed with it plus if you don't quite get it right there's always photoshop !! With digital I feel I get more good pictures but don't get the satisfaction when you get the really stunning one.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The daughter is studying photography and digital media at college and she is using film as well as digital, luckily for us there is a photography shop in town and even though he is the only "real" photography shop in town now he doesn't believe in ripping people off...his films are cheap enough to buy and he has the developing gear at the shop as well.