Anybody shoot in RAW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
That's digital photography, in case some are wondering.

I can handle RAW on my company G5 Mac, but my little G4 iMac runs at a crawl.

Is it worth the wait?

Jpeg, TIFF or RAW ? [?]

Unholymoondog

Tinca Hunter
I shoot in RAW all the time now, it does take some time to process, but the results are worth it. It gives me total control over everything and I don't have to worry about the white balance when shooting, as I can alter it later on the PC.

It was a bit of a shock to my work flow initially and it took a while to get settled into it. The quality of the RAW processed photo's are considerably better than out of the camera processed jpegs, but as I said there is quite a bit more work involved.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Just found out that my camera has the facility to create a RAW file and a jpeg from each shot taken, so I think that's the answer.

Transfer all the jpegs onto the PC, bin the 99% which are rubbish, then transfer the one or two decent RAW images.

It'll obviously take up a bit more memory, but with 2 and 4Gb SD cards as cheap as chips these days, it doesn't matter. [:)]

Ruddy Roach

I totally agree with what unholymoondog said. Spot on!!

RAWs are brilliant for changing the lighting in landscape photos.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Pleasurenut, what's all this ???
bin the 99% which are rubbish,

99%....wow, that's rather a lot, if that were film it would be costly.

Are you taking SERIOUS photos or are you becoming "snap happy" because they are digital and can be just "deleted" at no cost ??[:D]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
99%....wow, that's rather a lot, if that were film it would be costly.

Are you taking SERIOUS photos or are you becoming "snap happy" because they are digital and can be just "deleted" at no cost ??[:D]

Yes, I do take more photos with digital for that reason. With the cost of film & developing, I missed out on a number of good shots through not bracketing the exposure.

When I say that 99% are rubbish, I really mean that only 1% end up being framed and shown at international exhibitions, receiving high acclaim from world expert critics. [^][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.