Anybody fished Castle Howards Great Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfish

I hear there are some large bream, tench and pike in Castle Howards lake, anydody knows anything thing about it or have fished there before.....i'm planning on going there in a few days so any help would be great....going for a spot of piking.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi MrFish,

You've just jumped the gun. I am in the middle of doing a report for the site on Castle Howard at the moment.
Stu and I fished there on Sunday last and had 28 runs and 7 pike within the first four hours.
The pike fishing there is fantastic at the moment as they are starting to move around a bit in search of food which is becoming scarce. There is a large head of comorants on the lake (we counted 18!) plus herons (4) which have decimated the small fish stocks.
Apparently the Environmental Agency did a sweep of the lake at the back end of last year with sonar equipment and couldn't find anywhere near the fish stocks of past. Add to this a fish kill a couple of years ago that saw off large amounts of bream. If that wasn't enough, the previous baliff is now (aledgedly) in Her Majesty's Hotel for nicking and re-selling carp, tench and bream from the lake.

If its pike that you are after, you won't go far wrong.
Fish small Mackeral legered about 12-15ft from the bank in pegs 65-70.
Here you will find a 8-10ft deep channel which the pike are currently patrolling in search of food.
Failing that head further round to pegs 45-50 but you need to be a further 5ft out. You'll need to be there in the morning as for some reason the pike stopped feeding after 1.00pm and it wasn't just us.

Come back and tell us how you get on and don't forget to read the report in the 'Been Fishing' section - it should be up by the morning.

Regards, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great Day, great report Dave, but my word it sounds ominous!
Cormorants and fish kill, no wonder the poor B-----s are trying to feed and I guess theyre very pressured and sensitive, if the runs/hits ratio is 4 to 1!
Please include location and ticket cost, Gotta hurry here before it folds by the look of it! Many othere on Sunday?

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Trev,

There were around about 7 anglers there last Sunday. The cost is 4.00 per rod and the location - http://www.castlehoward.co.uk/house-maps.shtml

If you fancy a bash let me know and we'll try to meet up. I can't make it this weekend though as I've got to go away again,
but maybe one day next week.

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
You are ON,
Dont get back from Wraysbury til sunday evening late, but pick any day after mon 11th and I'll be there.
Great report and great pictures in 'Been Fishing'
Lads, In case like me you've overlooked this site, click on home page and scroll down left 'til you come to 'Been Fishing'
It's well wiorth a look!

Cheers

Trev

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Trev,

Thursday 14th is looking good at the moment, just checked the weather Click Here and it looks to be ok, so if you're up for it give me a ring and Stu and I will make the arrangements to take the day off.

Anyone else?

Newt, run that program
- Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
Great! its in the diary

Thursday 14th it is,
Hope the Zippy curse don't put them down!
Will ring closer to sort!

Newt, Its about 53 degs North and 1 deg of Lat.
Weather run in Wind =Tues 16, Wed 21 Thurs 13 mph from the SW on Tues and ending on thursday from the WNW
Only small amounts of rain so water should be clear.
Temp 9 degs C by day, falling 4degs c nights, fairly steady.
Best depth Newt, so we can chose Swims?
Fishing window 7.30 to 5.00 pm our time lol.
Mornings been producing!

Good Man, time for a 70+ rating!!!

Thanks Dave and Newt,

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OOps Sorry Mr Fish!!!

You started this!
Wanna Join us?
Drop a post or E-Mail and we'll see you there!

Ok,OK,OOK, fella's
I must warn you Mr Fish, just to be fair!

All incidents attributed to the Zippy curse cannot be levied on the proprietor!

Cya soon

Trev

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Newt?
You got time for this one please?
(see previous post 2 back on this thread)

Thanks!

Zippy

mrfish

Hi all, been ill last couple of days, if i can get the time off work i'd be glad to see you there on the 14 of Feb, no worries about the CURSE, not yet anyway......lol razz.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great, Mr Fish!

I love the 'no worry people!
The curse can be costly in time, breakages, money,replacements, damage, soakings, losses, tow-outs!!, etc.

But the stories are always good for a LAUGH LOL

What makes the world go round!

Cya soon, get better for the 14th

Trev

PS NEWT!!!
Any Forecast?

mrfish

Helllooooo again...........i should be ok for going down on the 14 Feb, but i wont be fishing, just found out i got the kids, and i'll bring them down to see some proper anglers in action, i'll try and sort something out....i only live a few miles from there, so when you see a bloke walking around with some kids.........it may be me.....see you there...with hope......half term........i love em...lol help.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Mr Fish,
Nice to have met you Nick,
Hope next time you can fish, but thanks for dropping in.
Anyway, you musta brought me luck lol
I'll ask Dave and Stu what they think!!!!
Valentines day is a nice day to catch a new PB Pike at 15lbs 12oz!!!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

mrfish

Thanks for making me and my daughter welcome when i popped down, sorry you all didnt have a better day, i'll try and do some fishing the next time you pop up, or even at a different place, then you can watch me blanking in style............nothing happened to me so far with the curs...........................aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggggghhh!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.