Any unusual baits you've tried on natural waters?

SUFC

As hook baits, I was thinking of ORZO which is pasta in the shape of a grain of rice (par-boiled of course). I imagine it's easy to hook and looks kind of like a maggot or even caster if dyed.
Has anyone tried and succeeded on unusual baits on natural waters, canals in particular?

Silver fan 82

As hook baits, I was thinking of ORZO which is pasta in the shape of a grain of rice (par-boiled of course). I imagine it's easy to hook and looks kind of like a maggot or even caster if dyed.
Has anyone tried and succeeded on unusual baits on natural waters, canals in particular?
When I was a kid I remember my grandad telling me bacon rind is good. I tried it on the small river we used to fish but caught nothing!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
About 30 years ago i used Uncle Bens savoury microwave rice on the canal, that used to get the roach going with a maggot on the hook, I guess it would work well with pinkies in Winter.

Louis D

Site Supporter
When I was 13, I remember my dad trying to persuade me to use rice while winding me up that the shop had run out of maggots. He even suggested using a marker pen to put a feed spot on each grain - that was the limit, he couldn't keep a straight face.

Otherwise, jam sandwich - Mother's Pride, Hartley's pineapple - I was 17, it was January, Bristol Avon was about 4 foot up at Bathford. 4 lb 2 oz chub in a winter league when blanking, instant section win and only beaten by a couple of flukey bream - some people get all the luck ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Used to try marshmallows... and glace cherries... never caught much on em on account I used to eat most of em

squimp

Site Supporter
Tench on lettuce out of a cheese sandwich.

Tench on a sultana out of a sticky bun.

Carp on baked beans and more regularly curried baked beans (tinned).

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not tried this on canals or rivers, but try mixing a little 5 spice (from supermarkets) in some paste. Seems to work o.k. on stillwaters.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Remember buying a bag of marshmallows and taking them down to the local club lake as a floating carp bait.
Started on my usual mixers and had a few carp interested before trying to cut the marshmallow in half and mounting it on the hook - finally got the sticky mess attached and lobbed it out.
I catapulted a few loose mallows out and the carp entirely ignored them - in fact even the ducks, which could be a bloody nuisance at times and would fight each other for a soggy dog biscuit, completely ignored them. Not an experiment I'm in any rush to repeat. :p

Simon

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@kevin o connor used Irish Marzipan on a water and emptied the place :D

I've tried boiled rice before as a substitute for maggots but it didn't work. Sugar Puffs have done so, especially when floated for Carp

62tucker

Site Supporter
Used to catch loads of crabs in a crab net with bacon back in the day. And also on bit of old string found lying on the pier tied to hook.
Silver paper on a hook for pike and perch.
Chewing gum for trout.
A button on a piece of thread and a net for sticklebacks. Wish I was that young again

richard83

Site Supporter
I won a junior match on a natural venue using baked beans. Crucians, tench and skimmers went mad for them. Just washed the sauce off and were easy to use on the pole.

PJG

Haribo sweets - it is amazing how much they swell up.
Gungo peas.
Pasta
Pearl barley

tincatim

Site Supporter
Had some good days on elderberries many years ago. Once won a junior match with 15lb of roach just feeding hemp and elderberries from the bush which overhung my peg. It’s always worth a go if you find something like that on the bank, same with blackberries too. Some will fall into the water so the fish should take them.