Any recommendations for a new pole

Vince Smith

I’m looking at getting a new all round pole upto about £1000. Silvers to carp.

this is a lot of money to me so I really need to get it right. Looked at a review for the Daiwa Matchwinner MW3 14.5 mtr which looks impressive.
If anyone has any advice or info on this or other poles in the same price bracket I’d very much appreciate your thoughts.

cheers

Vince

Paul.P

Appreciate £1000 is a lot of money to some, & for that i'd keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand tricast perception, they've only been out a year now but you can pick them up for £8-900, come with 3 match tops, 2 power tops & 2 short F1 tops. This is a brilliant pole, much better than its retail price of £1400, & by the sounds of it would suit your requirements, & its made in Rochdale.

sporty

Site Supporter
Must say that Tricast sounds ideal especialy as its made here and i believe this is very important now as trade with many countries is very uncertain going forward.Daiwa uk made poles new or used would also be on my list

david white

Site Supporter
Must say that Tricast sounds ideal especialy as its made here and i believe this is very important now as trade with many countries is very uncertain going forward.Daiwa uk made poles new or used would also be on my list
Sound advice and possibly overlooked by many and not just when purchasing fishing tackle !!

Hopefully some good may come from this pandemic in that Britain wakes up and starts manufacturing products again ( it’s no good sourcing items cheaper abroad if they can’t be delivered )

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
you can get a good tourney pro for that sorta money, in a used not abused condition

with a bit of luck, it would have a decent number of kits and a spare 4 too

sporty

Site Supporter
Sound advice and possibly overlooked by many and not just when purchasing fishing tackle !!

Hopefully some good may come from this pandemic in that Britain wakes up and starts manufacturing products again ( it’s no good sourcing items cheaper abroad if they can’t be delivered )
Yes i really hope so

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I’m looking at getting a new all round pole upto about £1000. Silvers to carp.

this is a lot of money to me so I really need to get it right. Looked at a review for the Daiwa Matchwinner MW3 14.5 mtr which looks impressive.
If anyone has any advice or info on this or other poles in the same price bracket I’d very much appreciate your thoughts.

cheers

Vince
Cookie policy

top-logo.png
Buy your magazine locally:
Find a stockist HERE

facebook.jpg twitter.jpg instagram.jpg youtube.jpg

Up Close: Browning Xitan Z6-2 Pole​

98d2cb42c245b23aead7d7c25521b644_L.jpg

Joe Carass runs the rule over the latest addition to Browning’s Xitan pole family.
Recently I have really had my eyes opened in terms of ‘mid-range’ pole performance. We are often criticised for only reviewing expensive and flagship items, so I have made it a priority to really take my time and bring you some great insight into all levels of poles.
A little while ago I was invited to the Browning sponsored-angler day at Coleman’s Cottage. Not only was it a great chance to see the Browning team, but it was also a perfect opportunity to have a proper play with the company’s pole range.
The Xitan range was all there in front of me, including the Sphere Zero-G, Browning’s flagship pole. The Sphere is a pole that just makes me jealous every time I use it. My colleague Jake Fowles has been using one for approaching 18 months now and every time I fish with it I am left with a sense of envy – yes, it’s THAT good!
Anyway I digress, there I am sat with the full range in front of me and I start working my way through them without paying too much attention to which pole was which. The Xitan range is excellent regardless of the price point so I wasn’t too surprised to find a set of poles that felt great. I have been fortunate to test most of them at one time or another.
But there was one pole on the rack that I felt was, pound for pound, a standout performer and that was the Xitan Z6-2.
DSC_0771-01.jpg
Let’s talk price and get that out of the way, the Z6-2 has an RRP of £1,199 for the 14.5m UK pack. I daresay that if you shop around you will get a bit knocked off this price, making it a realistic option for a lot of anglers.
Note that this is a 14.5m package. Personally I like this. I have seen plenty of 16m offerings at this price point that just aren’t very good at the full length, but the companies just feel it necessary because the punters expect 16 metres. But sadly what you end up with is an undercooked 16m pole that is made to hit a price.
The Xitan Z6-2 is a proper 14.5m pole. It’s great at this length and is stiff and well balanced, because it was properly designed at this length. I was surprised just how nice it felt at this length too. There is a 16m extension available separately of course, but the fact that this is a fully-fledged 14.5m model is so evident in its performance. It’s fantastic.
DSC_0783-01.jpg
Another benefit to not receiving that 16m section as standard is the spares package and the deal you get here is superb. Six top kits and a cupping kit are supplied while you also get two square pole protectors, a spare C/3 section and a Xitan holdall. For this price I think that’s a great bundle, especially given the pole’s significant performance.
DSC_0922-01.jpg
Speaking of spares, I noticed some small print in the company’s marketing literature. Now before you roll your eyes and turn the page, it’s a good kind of small print. SO… when ordering a pole set, you can actually purchase additional spares (top kits etc) at a 25 per cent discount, which I think is a nice touch from Browning.
Okay, I am really finding it hard to fault this pole at all. There is nothing I don’t like about it. It performs well, the package is great and it is from a manufacturer that has a long and storied history when it comes to great poles. I am impressed and I am sure you will be too.
RRP: £1,199
Verdict – A superb pole from Browning regardless of price; the fact that it is available for just over a grand makes it even better!
FIND-YOUR-LOCAL-STOCKIST.jpg

More in this category: « The Carp Master? Up Close Middy Reactacore XI20-3 »

HOME MADE CAGE FEEDERS​

small-cage-feeders.jpg

XITAN ADVANCE 26-2​

xitan-browning.jpg

title.jpg pf-mag.jpg feeder.jpg match-live.jpg pf-plus.jpg think-fishing.jpg

ABOUT MATCH FISHING MAGAZINE​

Match Fishing is regarded as THE magazine for the competitive angler. All aspects of competition fishing are covered, with in-depth features and stories from commercial fisheries and natural waters so, no matter what your preference or level of ability, there is something for everyone to enjoy, every month, in Match Fishing!

MF NEWSLETTER​

MF_Newsletters.png MF_Offers.png

CONTACT DETAILS​

TELEPHONE:
Office Enquiries Only: +44 (0)1327 311999
Subscription Dep: +44 (0)345 120 6085

OFFICE:
1st Floor Nene House, Sopwith Way, Daventry NN11 8EA

Editorial, Advertising or Subscriptions
Copyright © 2007 - 2021 David Hall Publishing Ltd

robert d

Site Supporter
Cookie policy

top-logo.png
Buy your magazine locally:
Find a stockist HERE

facebook.jpg twitter.jpg instagram.jpg youtube.jpg

Up Close: Browning Xitan Z6-2 Pole​

98d2cb42c245b23aead7d7c25521b644_L.jpg

Joe Carass runs the rule over the latest addition to Browning’s Xitan pole family.
Recently I have really had my eyes opened in terms of ‘mid-range’ pole performance. We are often criticised for only reviewing expensive and flagship items, so I have made it a priority to really take my time and bring you some great insight into all levels of poles.
A little while ago I was invited to the Browning sponsored-angler day at Coleman’s Cottage. Not only was it a great chance to see the Browning team, but it was also a perfect opportunity to have a proper play with the company’s pole range.
The Xitan range was all there in front of me, including the Sphere Zero-G, Browning’s flagship pole. The Sphere is a pole that just makes me jealous every time I use it. My colleague Jake Fowles has been using one for approaching 18 months now and every time I fish with it I am left with a sense of envy – yes, it’s THAT good!
Anyway I digress, there I am sat with the full range in front of me and I start working my way through them without paying too much attention to which pole was which. The Xitan range is excellent regardless of the price point so I wasn’t too surprised to find a set of poles that felt great. I have been fortunate to test most of them at one time or another.
But there was one pole on the rack that I felt was, pound for pound, a standout performer and that was the Xitan Z6-2.
DSC_0771-01.jpg
Let’s talk price and get that out of the way, the Z6-2 has an RRP of £1,199 for the 14.5m UK pack. I daresay that if you shop around you will get a bit knocked off this price, making it a realistic option for a lot of anglers.
Note that this is a 14.5m package. Personally I like this. I have seen plenty of 16m offerings at this price point that just aren’t very good at the full length, but the companies just feel it necessary because the punters expect 16 metres. But sadly what you end up with is an undercooked 16m pole that is made to hit a price.
The Xitan Z6-2 is a proper 14.5m pole. It’s great at this length and is stiff and well balanced, because it was properly designed at this length. I was surprised just how nice it felt at this length too. There is a 16m extension available separately of course, but the fact that this is a fully-fledged 14.5m model is so evident in its performance. It’s fantastic.
DSC_0783-01.jpg
Another benefit to not receiving that 16m section as standard is the spares package and the deal you get here is superb. Six top kits and a cupping kit are supplied while you also get two square pole protectors, a spare C/3 section and a Xitan holdall. For this price I think that’s a great bundle, especially given the pole’s significant performance.
DSC_0922-01.jpg
Speaking of spares, I noticed some small print in the company’s marketing literature. Now before you roll your eyes and turn the page, it’s a good kind of small print. SO… when ordering a pole set, you can actually purchase additional spares (top kits etc) at a 25 per cent discount, which I think is a nice touch from Browning.
Okay, I am really finding it hard to fault this pole at all. There is nothing I don’t like about it. It performs well, the package is great and it is from a manufacturer that has a long and storied history when it comes to great poles. I am impressed and I am sure you will be too.
RRP: £1,199
Verdict – A superb pole from Browning regardless of price; the fact that it is available for just over a grand makes it even better!
FIND-YOUR-LOCAL-STOCKIST.jpg

More in this category: « The Carp Master? Up Close Middy Reactacore XI20-3 »

HOME MADE CAGE FEEDERS​

small-cage-feeders.jpg

XITAN ADVANCE 26-2​

xitan-browning.jpg

title.jpg pf-mag.jpg feeder.jpg match-live.jpg pf-plus.jpg think-fishing.jpg

ABOUT MATCH FISHING MAGAZINE​

Match Fishing is regarded as THE magazine for the competitive angler. All aspects of competition fishing are covered, with in-depth features and stories from commercial fisheries and natural waters so, no matter what your preference or level of ability, there is something for everyone to enjoy, every month, in Match Fishing!

MF NEWSLETTER​

MF_Newsletters.png MF_Offers.png

CONTACT DETAILS​

TELEPHONE:
Office Enquiries Only: +44 (0)1327 311999
Subscription Dep: +44 (0)345 120 6085

OFFICE:
1st Floor Nene House, Sopwith Way, Daventry NN11 8EA

Editorial, Advertising or Subscriptions
Copyright © 2007 - 2021 David Hall Publishing Ltd
Maybe get closer to a grand , brand new , has very good reviews , ive had 3 browning poles all very good . Not held the z6 but as i said very good reviews , i spoke with someone today also saying how good they are fir the money

Paul.P

Maybe get closer to a grand , brand new , has very good reviews , ive had 3 browning poles all very good . Not held the z6 but as i said very good reviews , i spoke with someone today also saying how good they are fir the money
Robert, you any idea what the spares prices are like for the browning ?, it was the reason i got rid of my Z16, spare prices were extortionate !

Paul.P

Please tell me, do the new tourney pro's fall apart like the old ones used to ( mine did regulary ), & have they beefed up the no 4 sections, cause they used to snap at the sight of a half decent pole ?, sorry you daiwa guys, but i had bad experiences with my pro.

robert d

Site Supporter
Robert, you any idea what the spares prices are like for the browning ?, it was the reason i got rid of my Z16, spare prices were extortionate !
Not sure on z6 but a lot of poles spares are expensive for most good brands .

Vince Smith

Appreciate £1000 is a lot of money to some, & for that i'd keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand tricast perception, they've only been out a year now but you can pick them up for £8-900, come with 3 match tops, 2 power tops & 2 short F1 tops. This is a brilliant pole, much better than its retail price of £1400, & by the sounds of it would suit your requirements, & its made in Rochdale.
I always try to buy British and local if possible and with
Appreciate £1000 is a lot of money to some, & for that i'd keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand tricast perception, they've only been out a year now but you can pick them up for £8-900, come with 3 match tops, 2 power tops & 2 short F1 tops. This is a brilliant pole, much better than its retail price of £1400, & by the sounds of it would suit your requirements, & its made in
Sound advice on the manufacturing location I’ll take that on board cheers