Any Pike tips please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I know this is a bit amiguous, but have any of you got any tips for catching pike at the moment, lures, plugs, baits etc. I am going tomorrow and have not been having much success lately. What about additives?

I will be fishing quite a deep gravel pit and have been religiously perparing my tackle all day for an assault tomorrow. I will be using deadbaits and lures on my other rod when I start to feel a bit cold[:)][:)]. Are any lures particularly effective? I am new to this lure fishing lark, but am quite excited by the thought of it. All help gratefully accepted. Cheers, Steve.

DJ.gif

Polepot

Poles
Beebs,

I too am new to Lure Fishing but I have foumd the Shakespear Big S lures to be very reliable and have caught with them on every occassion that I have used them. I would use the largest ones as the small ones can be totally engulfed by a pike of even a few pounds.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Beebs,

Fish in to the wind and reasonable close in for starters.
You'll find that Pike are like most species at this time of the year and as the water gets cold they tend not to roam far looking for food. Instead they prefer to scavenge in easy areas such as where the water drifts to, picking up easy meals.

If using a plug, try fanning out your casts so that you 'work' an area and cover the same line several times. Often a pike may see the lure go over or past and choose to ignore it. But once it goes past a few times they are more tempted to have a go.
One tip that was passed on and used by Neville Fickling was to put bacon rind on the rear hook of a lure as an additional attractant. I haven't tried it myself but every little helps at this time of year.

I have tried additives but don't personally rate them and Stu tried them at Castle Howard but didn't like the taste [:p]

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Be prepared to vary the presentation of a dead bait. From hard on the bottom to popped up several feet. Try moving the bait a few feet every half hour or so. Instead of fishing into a wind fish with it off your back and drift a small dead bait down the wind. Ensuring the line floats you can over a lot of water this way and areas out of normal fishing range.
Re flavours and additives. Ive tried several and have had no success.
Lures, keep the retrieve as slow as possible and vary the depth at which it is fished. Also vary the size and type of lures used.

chill out go fishing

Simon R

Site Supporter
Beebs - I agree with Polepot - I got loads of lures that I bought in America a couple of years ago but I still catch more pike on the Big S than any other plug.

For some reason the 'perch scale' variety seems to be the best.

Simon

norm

i agree with dave

stu reckoned the taste of my mackerel flavoring made his face go all funny

but we told him not to worry it was already funny (LOL)

Beebs

quote:
stu reckoned the taste of my mackerel flavoring made his face go all funny

Maybe that had something to do with what you were make him eat it off Norm??[:p][:p]

Thanks for your help guys, but I have failed. Not a tickle all day. It threw it down today as hard as you can ever imagine and I tried a variety of baits in a variety of styles. I did have one follow on a lure, but no takes. I am going to try one of the other lakes tomorrow, cos this one was up about a foot today, most of the pegs are underwater.

What's the pike fishing been like lately? I've been away for a few weeks and haven't managed to keep up with events. Thanks again, Steve.

Moster

The cold weather seems to have brought the pike on over the last few weeks. Just the problem of all my gear freezing over now! I'd forget about lures though. Deadbaits seem to be producing the most fish at the moment, try lures a bit later on in the season.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by beebs

I did have one follow on a lure, but no takes.

If you had a follow, you were nearly there. Next time that happens, try smaller and larger of the same lure and most importantly, faster and slower on the retrieve.

Newt Vail

Beebs

Hi Newt. I am trying as slow a retrieve as possible at the moment with the occasional jerk (ooohh eer missus!). Becasue I haven't actively fished for pike until recently, I haven't spent much time trying to locate them or find where they haunt on my gravel pit. It ranges from 6 feet to 14 feet and it is a bit trial and error and some guess work as to where they might be laying up. There are very few people who fish the lake as well, so trying to ask questions from people in the know is pretty much impossible.

I will not give up, and I have taken the day off tomorrow and am going to fish The Royalty with a couple of friends. Expect pictures of some 20's over the weekend!! Tight Lines, Steve.[:)][:)]

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Beebs - fish are real notional. Usually slow is better in cold. Usually. But sometimes the fish want a lure that is being ripped along as fast as you can wind. Some days steady does it and some days you can't buy a bite unless you do stop/go/stop. At times you will do better to downsize the lure and others you could throw a whale and get hits.

Better weather is usually a little more reliable but during winter, try all the variations you can think of. You will probably have to put the lure right past the critter's nose but you gotta find out how they want it done on a particular day & time.

Like I said before, if you saw a follow you probably had more than one but just didn't see the others. And in that case, the fish almost went for the lure so normally a slight adjustment in handling that same lure will do the job or if not, a color change in the same shape.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

philipg

Useful tip for hard fished still waters ..... fish deadbait very close in at dusk/dark and prebait around your swim with chopped oily fish chunks. Fish become used to picking up freebies close in offered by kindly people throwing unwanted baits in on their way home. Try to fish at least 2 hours into dark. It can reveal some big lazy snappers!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.