Any pellet wagg anglers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom

Right as you've possibly seen im trying to figure out a way for me to pay for bike insurance, car insurance, lessons and university (or atleast a fraction of the fees!)

Pellet wagg help: poll
http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/59232

I'm going into the float making thing making pellet and baggin waggs.

I need a couple of questions answering, if you will!

a) Do you prefer a short/stumpy pellet wagg (i can see issues with flight distance) which won't dive as deep? Or a standard long/thin pellet wag?

b) roughly what diametre are your preffered floats? mine are currently 9mm.

c) what is your preferred method for attaching them? (Eye or dowel?)

d) if selected eye, do you prefer a large or small eye?

Many thanks guys, please get back to me ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator:

adam_f

i like pellet wags around 3.5-4 inch in length.

9mm is fine

dowel preferably but eyed is ok.

small eye.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Im more keen on the pre loaded ones myself, but if I was using an unloaded one,

A. I prefer longer floats, for better flight in casting.

B. About 9-10mm diameter is fine.

C. Eyed is my pref for attaching, cos I use waggler attachments with the snap link swivel.

D. Size of eye isnt really that important, as long as the swivel link goes into it.

Oh and

E. How much you looking at charging for these things????????

Thom

I plan to start off selling pellet wagglers very cheap (Between 1.00 and 1.50) until i have some sort of market share (i do however understand this market share will be miniscule, or atleast at first!) and Bagging wagglers about 3.00 if i can make them at that price and break even in the first month.

adam_f

has gaz malman sorted out any pellet wags yet ??/

i emailed him a while ago but not had a reply

Thom

im not entirely sure but i do know hes working on special pole floats which are time consuming!

stevelockett

My personal thoughts:
Polystyrene is much better than balsa
Definitely unloaded for standard pellet waggler
Short and dumpy, although several venues down here have limits on how thick a float can be. I think 8mm is the maximum thickness at Whiteacres and Stafford Moor.
Peg attachment so you can use a folding adaptor
4" is plenty long enough if you can make them 10-12mm thick

Thom

steve i considerer polystyrene stuff (also nylon!) however it will cost alot of money for the required equipment and tbh i only have a budget of 100. this must pay for a tabletop belt/disk sander, the balsa, the dowel/eyes whichever way i go, and then sealents and paints, glues etc.

Thanks for the input guys, i'll also be lookign for 5 anglers to test a handful of wagglers each for me so keep your eyes open if your interested in a few 'prototypes'

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
colin makes/sells them on here and ebay...bang on aswell

Thom

i plan to make them ever better than that! (only joking colin [:D])

stevelockett

Don't know if you read the article in the Angler's Mail a few weeks ago, Metal. Basically me versus Bri (South West correspondent) on adjacent pegs on a water that responds to pellets.
I had 16 carp for about 140lb, Bri had 1 for 6lb. The difference between us was; Bri was using balsa floats of about 6" long, they dived too deep on the cast and took the bait straight past the fish. Mine were poly (short Toppers and the new Dave Brittain's), popped back up instantly and are shorter for the same shotting capacity.
Most times, the fish end up hitting the pellets (8mm) in the top foot of the water. A 6" long float with a 6" long hooklength, diving 6" on the cast has taken the bait out of the feeding zone instantly.

Good luck with the project, I hope it makes you enough money to pay off the Student Loan
;-) lol
Somehow, I doubt it! Might be easier to get a job in a restaurant...

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Who's Colin?

Dave Brittain (Topdogg) makes some very good styrofoam pellet wags that I can vouch for.

Thom

i'll start with balsa, see how it goes and work onto styrofoam maybe [:)] i THINK i have a plan or two to stop mine diving however.

dave brittain 1

Metalforever.

The Drake and Superteam wagglers are two of the best balsa wagglers available and they retail for around 1.50 therefore you either need to look at a unique pattern or feature that sets your floats apart from the rest.

Mick Wilkinson charges around 2 per float, however Mick has the reputation as making the best hand made floats available and people are willing to pay his asking price because they know that they are getting a quality product.

With my floats, because of my reputation on the pellet waggler and the fact they were designed specifically for the job, (they are also used by some of the best anglers on the circuit), I can charge similar prices to Mick.

In order for you to do well you need to research the market, see what's available and then come up with something better or cheaper than those that are currently available.

Thom

thanks top dog very much appreciated!

Up this way pellet waggler isn't exactly a popular method, but that could also be because tackle shops simply dont stock any decent ones (very hard to get hold of good ones!) I plan to start simple and create a waggler i've drawn a design up for which, in theory, will not dive. Then if that takes off and i can manage any sort of advertising plan i'll consider a lathe and making more technical floats such as splashers.

It seems to me like a big task but were theres a will theres a way!

stevelockett

Advertising? I thought you wanted to make some money. If you have to spend on ads, you'll never earn any.
Just ad a link to a website where people can buy them, whenever you post. Also try to mention them whenever you post.

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
I would hurry Metal, fishing tend to go in fads and next year the pellet waggler may be forgoten and there will be just a few of us still fishing it, I hope!!!!!!!!

My personal feeling is if I have to pay over a quid for a pellet waggler I will make my own, the problem too with a lot of shop brought one is they have too thick a coating of paint and they tend to use heavy balsa to give them stength.

Ive been using this type of float a lot lately as it is very short and dosent dive under at all[;)]
float.jpg

Thom

I'd look at replacing that line on there if i was you nick! [:D]

I think i have an ok "business plan" if you want to call it that but i need to find my own neiche really...

I've got an idea which, without giving too much away it offers large amounts of very sudden resistance for its size, when it hits the water. i imagine yours pictured does the same nick. to furthur decrease weight/increase bouyancy im looking into combining two materials however this may cause the floats to be weak.

I have a few ideas that i think will work.

One more question:

How much of an 'attatchment' do you like for adding to the float connectors (The bit you slide into the connector)? and what diametre peg should i look at using. im thinking of using 4cm peg in 2mm width.

endpeg

Topdog are your pellet wagglers made from the same styrofoam that Mick Wilkinson uses[?]

dave brittain 1

Endpeg.

The materials are very similar, see floats below:

Datafile11.asp

Oops sorry about the size.

The floats shown are 2 SSG,3 SSG and 4SSG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.