Any ideas what this is?

Total

Site Supporter
Yes an Ide, and a decent specimen as well....(y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Certainly an Ide, we have them in the clubs lakes to a little over 3lb, some hitting the 4lb mark.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Do orfe fight any harder than ide? I’ve only caught one and it was no bigger than those in my pond so bit hard to tell at that size lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Golden Orfe I've caught in a weir pool does put up a bit of a fight lol, more so than the ones I've caught from stillwaters, and I say a bit meaning not much, much less than a Roach or Rudd of the same size would.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I suspected as much. Odd isn’t it given they aren’t that different in shape.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed thats why I asked, ornamentals in the carp species are reputed to fight harder than the natural equivalents so i wondered if that were the case in the orfe/ide as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm yet to catch a decent size Ide but have had Orfe of a decent size.

At a fishery I fish, anglers have told me they have had Chub bigger than the small carp in there. I told another angler about this and was questioned are you sure they weren't Ide? I wasn't sure but I suspect it might have been a mistake by the people who informed me, quite easy to tell the difference but a possible mistake to make so maybe I'll catch one there as it has Orfe.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve only caught about 10 ide and all in one day and all from about 8oz to 1lb. Not fish I’d go out of my way to catch given they aren’t lookers or fighters compared to other silvers. Would like to catch a few more orfe though as they can be beauties.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'm yet to catch a decent size Ide but have had Orfe of a decent size.

At a fishery I fish, anglers have told me they have had Chub bigger than the small carp in there. I told another angler about this and was questioned are you sure they weren't Ide? I wasn't sure but I suspect it might have been a mistake by the people who informed me, quite easy to tell the difference but a possible mistake to make so maybe I'll catch one there as it has Orfe.
You're not missing anything pal.

Alantherose

Well then gents, it looks like you've nailed it for me: an Ide it is, and a new PB at that.

Thanks for all the comments and good hearted banter (y)(y)(y)