Any camera buffs amongst us ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If so could you tell me what makes a wide angle lense?

I was looking at a few and seen some with '24-70mm' listed - is it the smaller the mm the wider the angle? Or what should I be looking for?

chris w

pc problem solver
not sure ask cleggy i think wide angle is the field of view but iam only guessing have you tried to google

jbfzoo

Yes basically the lower the number the wider the angle. It has to be quite a bit lower than the focal lenght of the normal lens for a particular image size. its a long time since i was a photographic nut. The problem with the wider angle is distotion on the ege of the field. the 24mm to 7omm is running from a wide angle useful for close up to a little bit of a long lens for bringing in objects further away. i am sure someone on here is into this stuff far better than i am took weeks for my instructors to get through to me about focal lenghts and fstops etc

John[8D]

mibut

the smaller the number the "wider" the angle
35mm gives apx the nearest to normal eye vision.
The "wider" you get the more distortion but more actually showing in the pic.
16mm and below are normally termed fisheye lenses
If you want something for everyday use inc portraits look at 28-90 or similar

groundhog

Life Survivor
Dave have a look on the link below, it may help you.
http://photography.about.com/library/glossary/bldef_wide-angle.htm
Regards G.H.

mibut

Forgot to add that if you are looking at Olympus E digital lenses you need to double to get the "normal" focal length so 14mm-45mm would be 28-90 etc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now I'm even more confused lol

stikflote

Site Supporter
the standard wide angle lens has been the 28 mm for years, a lot depends on what you want to use it for

Rich Rev

Yorkshire's finest
Very simply 50mm = standard 1 to 1, what you see visually is what you get on film.
anything below 50mm and the angle is getting wider, anything over and the field is larger enlarged and thus smaller,
usually a good sized lens for wide angle work is around 24mm, though anything between 14mm and 35mm are generally used in 35mm film format.
of course you can get very special "fish-eye" lenses with 6 or 8mm.

With modern digital cameras you would multiply the focal length by anything from 1.5 (Nikon) to 2.
Therefore the focsl lengths are usually much shorter on digital lenses, to achieve a true wide angle you would be looking at 12 to 16mm with Digital lenses.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The camera is a a Nikon D40 digital SLR and I need a lense that's capable of taking shots of bathrooms, etc, without distortion [:)]

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Dave, you could take very good shots of bathrooms etc with a digital equivalent of a 28mm lens.

is it the smaller the mm the wider the angle?

YES[:D]

Anything less than around 28mm would give you distortion, whereby the vertical lines would tend to converge (at say ceiling height the verticals would have a tendency to come towards each other) may be a bit off putting if that happens.

Rule of thumb, 28mm = Wide angle (semi)

50mm = Standard view

100mm = Portrait lens

above 100mm would really be "zoom" lenses.

It would be possible for you to take 2 or 3 shots within the same room going around the room in one direction and "stitching" 3 or more shots together to get a "panoramic" effect.

Still confused ??[;)][:D]

Last edited:

Columbo

Originally posted by Dave

I need a lense that's capable of taking shots of bathrooms,

You're not hiding the camera in the bathrooms are you Dave? Naughty boy [:D]

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
quote:Originally posted by Dave

If so could you tell me what makes a wide angle lense?

I was looking at a few and seen some with '24-70mm' listed - is it the smaller the mm the wider the angle? Or what should I be looking for?

Why don't you get the same camera as Stu, he's obviously got a wide angle lens [;)]

[image]http://www.maggotdrowning.com/myphoto/Datafile11.asp?FileID=416[/image]

Gazhilla

Pasted to Death
Dave the Nikon d40 has an APS C size sensor which gives a crop factor of 1.5 (compared to a 35mm film camera). Therefore whatever the mm focal length of te lens you have to multiply it by 1.5 (ie a 50mm lens x 1.5 =75mm equiv on your D40).
To take the shots you need you will need about 10-20mm lens. Now going that wide is quite expensive but you should be able to get hold of a 17 or 18mm to 55 or 85mm lens ie 17-55 or 17-85mm zoom fairly cheap about 70 to 80 quid on ebay. Normally the d40 came with I think the 18 to 55 mm lens as a kit lens unless bought body only.
Hope that helps mate.
And the lower the number ie 10 or 18mm the wider the angle. Don't get a fisheye they distort the image.
Gary

www.lancashirephotographic.co.uk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.