Another Year Ends

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
been a strange old year on the fishing front

overall the weather has been pretty poor, there has been very few good days, its either been freezing cold, wet, windy, too sunny or far too warm, hardly any just right days

on the match front, Ive not done as well as I thought I may have done, rarely picking up an envelope

the pleasure days have provided the highlights this year, caught my biggest netfulls and best specimens whilst in the company of just the black dog

best fish, was the big old dog roach I had down the canal tail end of last spring, not weighed but a conservative estimate of near touching the magic mark

biggest heart attack fish was a roach bream hybrid that weighed in at near 3lb, had me shaking for a fair while that one

and the best and most satisfying net, was yet again on the canal, a roach, rudd and bream net of close to 40lb

might try a bit more sea fishing this year, along with a few more nights out on a certain venue locally

gonna cut one club out, but continue membership of two others, and if I get the chance this year, join a syndicate water, (but that ones dead mans shoes)

my two local rivers need to be visited more, as I havent given them the attention they really deserve these past couple years

have a good one lads, may your 2020 provide you with plenty highlights

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed has been a strange year, my fishing year basically ended mid October due to the weather unless I can get out in the next few days.

Before that fishing was mixed but still more good than bad.

On the slightly indifferent front my local Oxfordshire Thames didn't produce the numbers of fish it usually does but did produce more big time fish than usual including a PB 3lb plus perch and more good sized bream than in recent years. British sea fishing was ruined this year by the weather with only 3 trips this year all cut short by wind. My annual Florida trip was fun as usual but last Augusts red tide had made the fishing tougher compared to its usual brilliance of previous years.

On the good front I fished the lower Thames and Waveney for the first times in the summer and bagged up on all sorts of species and had had very respectable sessions on new stretches of the warks avon and great Ouse in the winter. My local stillwater consistently produced mid to upper teen bags of roach in addition to some good sized perch.

Favourite fish was that first 3lb plus perch followed by a decent sized bonnethead that had somehow eluded me for years despite being common.

For next year my local Stillwater and the Thames will be my main venues again with the former hopefully producing more of the same as this year and latter more like its usual self numbers wise but still with the bigger fish featuring. Will definitely travel to some other rivers again as well. More sea fishing will be attempted after missing out on my favoured smoothound and bream this year and there will hopefully be another Florida trip now we know the pound shouldn't collapse.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I can't grumble really. Weather hasn't been the kindest but, this year I've really enjoyed my fishing. My season has been made more pleasurable by meeting a couple of forum members. Namely Ukzero1 and Sly. Do not go fishing with these two whatever you do. Think of two six year olds that have eaten a big bar of dairy milk each and washed it down with 2 litres of rolla cola and you're halfway there. Both lovely guys and would do anything for anyone.
I caught up with Wise Owl on the banks of the Trent where young Albert turned me into his main course. Great guy. Down to earth. Says it like it is. You know where you are with Albert Finney ... Sorry, Wise Owl. ?? Looking forward to meeting up with him again once my wounds have healed. Thanks Albert. ?
Another forum member and now good friend is Nicky Dodds. So easy to get on with. His dry sense of humour cracks me up. Extremely good angler. No secrets with Nicky. He shares everything. Without his help this year Id have been sat in areas void of fish. He knows our local waters like the back of his hand. Thank you Nicky.
A good year for different reasons really. I can't grumble.

Roll on 2020. ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for sorting me out this year @mickthechippy I'm glad you've had a good year.

For me, having just returned to fishing, the year has been the best year I've had since I used to fish club matches. I had 3 first time Barbel trips that produced 9 fish on one of the days. It's between that and a day on my (new to me) Bream venue that I was sure could produce a ton, and did, for best days fishing. Also all the Chub I've caught from an epic spot on my local Stour.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A full year spent dabbling with only vintage gear and I can honestly say that my fishing has improved by taking the pressure to catch off myself... loving the gentle relaxed nature of this branch of my sport and I'll be carrying on in the same vein for the future... teaching my young padawan to fish has been a great laugh, culminating with him hitting his twenty after 6 months...
2020 means more of the same riding my thunderbird and watching my beloved Essex County Cricket Club down at the county ground... fates willing I can carry on as I have for as long as I can

Cobweb

Site Supporter
2019 has been a good year for me angling wise, in the sense that I decided to get away from commercial waters in Kent even though many of them do more to cater for disabled angler's swim access (disabled since 2003). Joining a club this year has allowed me to revisit my halcyon days of river and still water fishing, and has injected new enjoyment and a fresh sense of fulfilment to my bankside sessions. These days fishing has become a treasured hobby for pleasure which gets me out in the fresh air regularly. Sadly I can no longer fish in matches as mobility problems make that impossible. However, I've already beaten my pb for Bream this year with a big lump from a local lake. This place ( a club water) has great facilities which allow me to park on a hard stand and unload my kit directly to one of two designated Disabled swims.

For 2020 I'm targeting a PB on roach (currently 2lb 4oz) and carp which will be +15lb on a a feeder/pellet and +23 on a more conventional carp rod

rd350lc

Been a strange year for me too , but mainly because my beloved river Nene has been unfishable for most weeks from the late autumn months . Still had some really nice days on the silvers on the puddles though so definitely can't complain but would love to be running a float through anytime soon .

Cobweb

Site Supporter
..... beloved Essex County Cricket Club down at the county ground... fates willing I can carry on as I have for as long as I can
I know where that is as I used to live in Coggeshall. I was a regular visitor to the county ground at one stage. Never owned a Royal Enfield Thunderbird but rode my BSA 250 until I passed my car driving test in 1969

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
All my gear is ready, all I have to do is grab and go. it's just a case of weather dodging...and finding the time.

Arry

Site Supporter
I know where that is as I used to live in Coggeshall. I was a regular visitor to the county ground at one stage. Never owned a Royal Enfield Thunderbird but rode my BSA 250 until I passed my car driving test in 1969
My Thunderbird is a Triumph Thunderbird Sport... 885cc Triple with norty cans and that triple howl that stirs the soul... my brother has a BSA 250 Barracuda

Cobweb

Site Supporter
My Thunderbird is a Triumph Thunderbird Sport... 885cc Triple with norty cans and that triple howl that stirs the soul... my brother has a BSA 250 Barracuda
Apologies for misunderstanding. Nice bike. Never graduated to bigger bikes- went into cars. Knew the Barracuda pretty well. My lad had a Yamaha TDM850 which was pretty smooth

Arry

Site Supporter
The TDM was a great bike... very underrated

BTMS

Site Supporter
This year has had its major ups and downs. Starting with having several TIAs on last xmas eve and a stroke. Scared the sht out of me. Her indoors was brilliant once I managed to get back on my feet she drove me to one of our lakes and sat with me until I caught a few. Best feeling I have had fishing. Just to be able to catch a few. Steadily got better then back to my club fishing did not do very well at the beginning (pressure and not being confident and scared).

Steadily got back into the swing after reading a few posts on here(especially on the mental side of things (so a GREAT THANKS) to the posts on mental health on here:beer-toast1:. Things were steadily getting better got back into our club matches no great results but enjoying the company and the crack. Then November came and the kick in the doodaas came again. Mrs and the gentlemen/rouges/nutters/misfits/lunatics and ALL ROUND fantastic people on here gave me the will to go on. So thank you from me and the Mrs looking forward to a better and hopefully a better season next year

Aye

Brian

Cobweb

Site Supporter
This year has had its major ups and downs. Starting with having several TIAs .

Brian
Had two of those myself in 2019 and lost all the strength in my right hand for a while so I couldn't use my inhalers without a two handed grip. One of those happened during a biopsy attempt earlier this year for prostate cancer which prompted a quick decision by the surgeon to whizz me to A & E to deal with a cardiac event. I've managed to get around 90 % of my strength back now so can cast ok but not well as before. The stroke clinic at local hospital agreed that I had suffered some minor strokes but did not increase my existing heart medication which I am pretty much maxed out on now after 20 years of heart problems.

As for the prostate issue, that is ongoing as the urology clinic agree that the additional 70 biopsies they want to carry out under general anaesthetic, are too risky given my medical condition. I am now being monitored every 3 months for PIA levels

Glad to hear that you have recovered ok and that you are enjoying your fishing as much as I am. I too have gained considerable knowledge from being a member here (though only recently joined) through the freely offered advice, experience, and expertise. Also much appreciated

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This year has had its major ups and downs. Starting with having several TIAs on last xmas eve and a stroke. Scared the sht out of me. Her indoors was brilliant once I managed to get back on my feet she drove me to one of our lakes and sat with me until I caught a few. Best feeling I have had fishing. Just to be able to catch a few. Steadily got better then back to my club fishing did not do very well at the beginning (pressure and not being confident and scared).

Steadily got back into the swing after reading a few posts on here(especially on the mental side of things (so a GREAT THANKS) to the posts on mental health on here:beer-toast1:. Things were steadily getting better got back into our club matches no great results but enjoying the company and the crack. Then November came and the kick in the doodaas came again. Mrs and the gentlemen/rouges/nutters/misfits/lunatics and ALL ROUND fantastic people on here gave me the will to go on. So thank you from me and the Mrs looking forward to a better and hopefully a better season next year

Aye

Brian
Dont worry about the results mate. Aim for happiness. Without happiness those results wouldn't matter anyway. If I lived in Colchester Id throw you in the back of my van and we'd be off fishing pal. Pick Wise Owl up on the way for a bit of a sing song .... Job done. Life doesn't get much better. Tight lines Brian.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Dont worry about the results mate. Aim for happiness. Without happiness those results wouldn't matter anyway. If I lived in Colchester Id throw you in the back of my van and we'd be off fishing pal. Pick Wise Owl up on the way for a bit of a sing song .... Job done. Life doesn't get much better. Tight lines Brian.
Still laughing brilliant its amazing what one post does. You have never heard me singing:sick: Thanks M8