Another where should I go tomorrow thread?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's going to rain, showers at least in the morning, but I want to go fishing. I have a few choices. These are the main two...

1) Himley Hall - a Tench estate lake where last time I went it was clearly too cold to catch a Tench. Still not warm enough and probably won't fish well until at least May. But there is still a chance of a Tinca or two.

2) Hurst Farm - a deep Crucian pit that's also full of Roach and Perch and if you've read my recent reports I've had good catches of Roach from there. The Crucians haven't started feeding properly yet.

I'm also looking forward to going to Shatterford, Stella lake, with a fellow MD on Saturday but need my fishing fix in the meantime.

Any other suggestions also welcome. I'll be asking you to put my lucky fishing socks on for me next at this rate... :LOL: ... but any input is appreciated whilst I ruminate.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Himley Hall

himley1.jpg

Hurst Farm

Hurst Farm.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well given it’s pretty windy here I assume much the same there so I wouldn’t be going to a big natural lake in April in such conditions a few days after a string of frosts so I’d go to the other place where you know the weather doesn’t really bother it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well given it’s pretty windy here I assume much the same there so I wouldn’t be going to a big natural lake in April in such conditions a few days after a string of frosts so I’d go to the other place where you know the weather doesn’t really bother it.
Ah I didn't notice the 19mph winds... :LOL: The thing is with the Tench lake... I can't wait for it to start fishing well. It's not likely that I'd catch there but I could still sit there all day watching the tip when a 5lb+ Tench could be the culprit. But I think the wind has decided it for me. Roach fishing it is.

Team KDB

I don’t know the venue but between the two,for me it would be silver and bit bashing at Hurst Farm with it looking a smaller and more sheltered area. 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don’t know the venue but between the two,for me it would be silver and bit bashing at Hurst Farm with it looking a smaller and more sheltered area. 👍
The Roach are a good stamp at Hurst Farm. Someone said to me on here before... "if those are the shoalies there must be some crackers in there" and I live in hope. I think I'm going to feed it quite positively on maggot and try to draw some bigger fish in. Will get 3 whole pints of maggots, might sound a lot but I could really attack it as it's absolutely heaving with fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don’t forget punched bread or make a bread paste and a few casters for a back up. 😉
That's an idea. I've been meaning to try punch there as it would avoid the Perch. (y) Every time I fish there 50lb of silvers are on the cards but I've not quite managed that yet. It's surprising I hardly ever see anyone targeting anything but the Carp there, not even the Crucians... but I reckon I will have the place to myself tomorrow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looks like you’ll have a bit calmer weather for your weekend session at least 🤞🏻👍🏻
Yes mate. Neither of us have fished this Stella lake at Shatterford before so it will be interesting. The other day ticket pool there, Wyre Dell, is seemingly full of small Tench that will probably be feeding at the moment, but it will be nice to see what's in Stella. My dad told me he saw a video on FaceBook of it during the heatwave a couple of weeks ago and it was full of Carp cruising on the surface of this deep pool.

I was surprised I saw none of that at Hurst Farm as there are Carp in there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
At Hurst Farm I have been calculating my total weight as 3 silvers to pound and that's not an exaggeration. Best stillwater Roach fishing in Bridgnorth. (y)

This must have been what my dad was on about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good stuff that is a ridiculously good stamp. Quite a few places on the Thames you can do 4 to the pound and it seemed pretty similar at boddington as it was on a Stillwater I used to fish that’s now syndicated but be hard pushed to do better than that when catching good numbers of them. Even the days when you’re mostly catching bigger ones there’s always a few smaller ones that drag the average down to around the 4 to the pound.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Good stuff that is a ridiculously good stamp. Quite a few places on the Thames you can do 4 to the pound and it seemed pretty similar at boddington as it was on a Stillwater I used to fish that’s now syndicated but be hard pushed to do better than that when catching good numbers of them. Even the days when you’re mostly catching bigger ones there’s always a few smaller ones that drag the average down to around the 4 to the pound.
The Perch might drag it down slightly as there are a few 4oz in there but just as many 12oz to balance it out. And the Roach in general are no smaller than 6oz.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The only thing that lets down Hurst Farm is that being so deep, you could fish shallow I guess, but it's best fished in the margins... so is more suited to pole fishing than a waggler off the tip of the rod... I've said before, does not feel like proper fishing, but the chance of Crucians and Goldfish kind of balance that out along with the general stamp of the silvers.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If it were me I’d be setting up my stall on Hurst Farm and chasing the roach despite how tempting the tench water is.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If it were me I’d be setting up my stall on Hurst Farm and chasing the roach despite how tempting the tench water is.
Yes roll on the glorious weather we'll have in May and I'll be out Tench fishing ASAP. Like I say... when I'm at Himley there's never any feeling of wanting to pack up... I stay there all day watching the tip even if not catching as could be a Tench on the end.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've just called them and asked if I can used liquidised bread as feed and they said no problem as long as you're kind to the fish. (y) So looks like I'll be starting on punch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The only thing that lets down Hurst Farm is that being so deep, you could fish shallow I guess, but it's best fished in the margins... so is more suited to pole fishing than a waggler off the tip of the rod
What sort of depth is it from say 5-15m out?