Another techy question.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The on-board wi-fi on the 2nd laptop has ceased to be, it is bereft of life, it is no more. Does anyone know if one of these will work? If so, how good are they? Thanks in advance.

davylad

Site Supporter
Have you tried resetting the modem and router, just a thought before you spend your hard earned.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yes I have, and this laptop works fine, which rules out the router, the other laptop doesn't connect at all. I also have no notification saying wi-fi is on/available. Bluetooth and everything else works fine. Not only that, the other laptop connected and worked fine earlier this morning.

Gwillim

Have you tried deleting the network connection and reestablishing a new connection had to do this myself after an update

and this might sound daft but have you checked that the WIFI card is actually turned on?

feldri

Site Supporter
Go into system settings and click on wi-fi and see whether or not you have it switched on.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Have you tried deleting the network connection and reestablishing a new connection had to do this myself after an update

and this might sound daft but have you checked that the WIFI card is actually turned on?

Wi-fi was working this morning when I left the house, it wasn't working when I got home. The wi-fi is switched on but getting a meassge saying wi-fi not available. The router is on 24/7 and this laptop connects with no problem.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Go into system settings and click on wi-fi and see whether or not you have it switched on.

Have done that and yes, it's turned on. Wifey used it this morning to put in her AVON order..or tried. She says it lost connection part way through putting in her order.

Gwillim

Would try deleting the connection and reestablishing a new one, also have you tried right clicking on the wifi symbol bottom right and running the troubleshooter

biggsy

Site Supporter
The on-board wi-fi on the 2nd laptop has ceased to be, it is bereft of life, it is no more. Does anyone know if one of these will work? If so, how good are they? Thanks in advance.

Yes they will work but only 2.4Ghz

ukzero1

Site Supporter
also have you tried right clicking on the wifi symbol bottom right and running the troubleshooter

Yes on both laptops, no problems at all on this laptop (obviously) No connections at all on the other laptop. When it tries to Fix Error, it can't.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Have you rebooted the router? They get clogged up sometimes.

As for the wifi dongles, yes they work, but consider spending a few more quid on a better one if you can.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Have you rebooted the router? They get clogged up sometimes.

As for the wifi dongles, yes they work, but consider spending a few more quid on a better one if you can.

Router has been rebooted 4 or 5 times mate, no difference. When this powers up, I get a list of available networks, including those on the street. On the other lappy I just get a blank box, no networks etc. visible.