Another tackle shop gone

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
The Fishing Lodge Sheldon Birmingham. Been around the area for years, now gone.

fishcatcher4

I am worried for my local tackle shop that's been there for as long as i can remember.

It's only a small shop and angling direct have just opened a store about 300 yards away from him and fishing republic have just relocated about 1/2 mile from him on the same stretch of road.

I suppose you could say it's more jobs though and more choice.

The fella must be pulling his hair out but i wish him well.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That, unfortunately, is the present age of consumerism, decide on the product, buy it from the cheapest outlet.

Capitalism works in similar ways, little businesses grow, they kill off smaller businesses, they eventually die themselves, smaller businesses that survive grow, they become the bigger business, the cycle continues

foster82

I am worried for my local tackle shop that's been there for as long as i can remember.

It's only a small shop and angling direct have just opened a store about 300 yards away from him and fishing republic have just relocated about 1/2 mile from him on the same stretch of road.

I suppose you could say it's more jobs though and more choice.

The fella must be pulling his hair out but i wish him well.

Is that the one in on Rawmash hill, in Rotherham by any chance.

If its is I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he didn't seem that bothered by it. Also told me that he was planning to extend the shop this winter.

I popped into the new fishing republic the other day and was not impressed. Dark and dingy.

fishcatcher4

Is that the one in on Rawmash hill, in Rotherham by any chance.

If its is I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he didn't seem that bothered by it. Also told me that he was planning to extend the shop this winter.

I popped into the new fishing republic the other day and was not impressed. Dark and dingy.

Yes mate it is.

Glad he doesn't seem bothered about it and hope he does well.

Gwillim

For some personal service, local knowledge etc will outweigh a couple of quid saved.
For me that is certainly the case and point in case, I was in my local tackle shop this morning and was after a new feeder rod that I had already researched online, he had one in stock, asked him the price and it was only a couple of quid more than online, so happy days new rod purchased, local tackle shop supported and everyone's a winner :) :upthumb:

rudd

Site Supporter
That, unfortunately, is the present age of consumerism, decide on the product, buy it from the cheapest outlet.

Capitalism works in similar ways, little businesses grow, they kill off smaller businesses, they eventually die themselves, smaller businesses that survive grow, they become the bigger business, the cycle continues
A business generally needs growth to survive or it can become stagnant.

carpole

Real shame smaller towns need independent tackle shops,We lost two in matter of weeks a few years ago.Now the nearest 8 miles away nightmare to get to on a Friday afternoon.Some people in town packed up because they ain't got transport.

John Step

Site Supporter
8 Miles away...I wish. Living in a rural location is great but there is a downside in that the nearest tackle shop is about 40 miles return. I tend to visit every now and again to buy bulk maggots and freeze them in batches. Galling if you want size X hooks for example and the rack is out of stock.

foster82

Yes mate it is.

Glad he doesn't seem bothered about it and hope he does well.

He also told me when i was last in that he would match the prices of angling direct or fishing republic. Dont think i could ask him to do that to be honest. for the sake of a few quid. If that.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was not blaming anybody just stating the facts in this particular case.(y)
Hi fishcatcher, I wasn't implying you were pal. It's just that we are all guilty of wanting something for nothing. If your small but local tackle shop sells your next pole for say £2k and one of the big players can do the same pole for £1850. What do you do ? Stay loyal or save £150 ? Not easy being loyal all the time is it ? Im all for the small tackle shop myself but, how they are going to survive I don't know.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The only reason the one round here survives is because it's the only one in the area. If it closed down then I'd have a round trip of about 14 miles just for maggots.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The only reason the one round here survives is because it's the only one in the area. If it closed down then I'd have a round trip of about 14 miles just for maggots.
It's not even the tackle shop it was a couple of years ago Peter. The last time I was in there the owner was thinking about going back to lorry driving.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes I know mate. I was in there last week and thought it had been burgled.
It's not good now is it ? Remember when it first opened ? What a great looking shop it was. What a shame. I hope you never have to make that 14 mile round trip Peter but, I shouldn't hold your breath pal. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What a shame. I hope you never have to make that 14 mile round trip Peter but, I shouldn't hold your breath pal. ?

I'm not, if it closes I have to go all the to (dare I say it)..Barnsley (shudder).