Another Quick Canal Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So I didn’t really think I’d be fishing this weekend as I’d had a few days away with some mates down in the West Country. But this morning they decided they wanted to leave early to watch the football back home so that left me with a few hours spare so I decided to have another quick session on the canal having scrounged some bait off my grandad left over from his midweek session at Marlborough pool. I’d liked to have fished the marina like last week as over the last few months it’s seemed the most productive area. But given it’s got to be the hottest day of the year so far the lack shade there made me think just downstream under some trees was probably more sensible.

I started fishing just before 3 and finished just before 6 and had 4 decent hybrids, 2 small roach and at least 15 small perch although all but one of the fish came before 5 as after that you could hardly keep a bait in the water due to the returning day boats as it’s narrower there than in the marina so they cause more grief. The fish certainly weren’t as big as last week but there was still enough of them to make it an enjoyable couple hours before the boats stuffed it up.

Tackle wise I decided to give the CR10#1 another run out just to confirm whether it was it’s slowness compared to my acolytes that caused last weeks many missed bites or just my lack of concentration. This time after missing very hittable some bites early on I started to give it more welly on the strike than I would for such bites on the acolytes which solved the problem so must have been the slightly inferior action that mostly causes last weeks issues. Anyway it was again paired with the CS4 3000 on its second run out which seems to have almost shaken off its clicky bail arm so is shaping up to be a decent reel although still not quite in my saharas’ class. That was loaded 3lb maxima to a 1g loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2.25lb kamasan hook to nylon. There’s been no tactical reason for me deviating from my usual drennan hooks to nylon on these sessions instead I’ve purely been saving them up for the pike to relieve me of a few when I get back on the Thames next week! Once again I fished a line down the track and one at the bottom of the near side track with the former accounting for all but one of the fish this week. Hook bait was single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots and casters fished over sensas black roach groundbait.

All in all whilst the fish were mostly small and the boats in the last hour annoying the first couple hours were good fun with the steady stream of bites and the weather beautiful as it has been for a few weeks now so was definitely a worthwhile quick trip. My uncle popped down for a quick go on dead baits as well (just one dropped run) which was nice especially for company to get through the frustrating last hour. Next session will be Saturday back on the Thames but no idea where or what for yet as it is always a bit naff until July.

Didn’t get a swim pic today as was people sat in the garden opposite so thought that would be a bit invasive so one of the view upstream instead and a perch and hybrid that were both of about stamp.
1623608565605.jpeg
1623608633259.jpeg
1623608643948.jpeg

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Beautiful scenery and blue skies to go with it.....:love:
Yeah after all the rubbish weather we were having it really has been beautiful almost every day here since at least a few days before the bank holiday weekend. Makes you forget all the bad stuff!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
So I didn’t really think I’d be fishing this weekend as I’d had a few days away with some mates down in the West Country. But this morning they decided they wanted to leave early to watch the football back home so that left me with a few hours spare so I decided to have another quick session on the canal having scrounged some bait off my grandad left over from his midweek session at Marlborough pool. I’d liked to have fished the marina like last week as over the last few months it’s seemed the most productive area. But given it’s got to be the hottest day of the year so far the lack shade there made me think just downstream under some trees was probably more sensible.

I started fishing just before 3 and finished just before 6 and had 4 decent hybrids, 2 small roach and at least 15 small perch although all but one of the fish came before 5 as after that you could hardly keep a bait in the water due to the returning day boats as it’s narrower there than in the marina so they cause more grief. The fish certainly weren’t as big as last week but there was still enough of them to make it an enjoyable couple hours before the boats stuffed it up.

Tackle wise I decided to give the CR10#1 another run out just to confirm whether it was it’s slowness compared to my acolytes that caused last weeks many missed bites or just my lack of concentration. This time after missing very hittable some bites early on I started to give it more welly on the strike than I would for such bites on the acolytes which solved the problem so must have been the slightly inferior action that mostly causes last weeks issues. Anyway it was again paired with the CS4 3000 on its second run out which seems to have almost shaken off its clicky bail arm so is shaping up to be a decent reel although still not quite in my saharas’ class. That was loaded 3lb maxima to a 1g loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2.25lb kamasan hook to nylon. There’s been no tactical reason for me deviating from my usual drennan hooks to nylon on these sessions instead I’ve purely been saving them up for the pike to relieve me of a few when I get back on the Thames next week! Once again I fished a line down the track and one at the bottom of the near side track with the former accounting for all but one of the fish this week. Hook bait was single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots and casters fished over sensas black roach groundbait.

All in all whilst the fish were mostly small and the boats in the last hour annoying the first couple hours were good fun with the steady stream of bites and the weather beautiful as it has been for a few weeks now so was definitely a worthwhile quick trip. My uncle popped down for a quick go on dead baits as well (just one dropped run) which was nice especially for company to get through the frustrating last hour. Next session will be Saturday back on the Thames but no idea where or what for yet as it is always a bit naff until July.

Didn’t get a swim pic today as was people sat in the garden opposite so thought that would be a bit invasive so one of the view upstream instead and a perch and hybrid that were both of about stamp.
1623608565605.jpeg
1623608633259.jpeg
1623608643948.jpeg
The view of the bridge is similar to the stretch under the bridge where @adriang and myself fish at Kidlington.
When I first saw it, I thought it was a stretch of the Bridgewater Canal I fish when in Warrington.
I may give Kidlington a try this week or the Gibralter Pub section after tea for a few hours.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What a beautiful place to fish. Reminded me of when we used to go over to Denmark. That was spotlessly clean and crisp also. A beautiful country is Denmark. Nice report fella with some lovely pics. Well done. Thank you. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The view of the bridge is similar to the stretch under the bridge where @adriang and myself fish at Kidlington.
When I first saw it, I thought it was a stretch of the Bridgewater Canal I fish when in Warrington.
I may give Kidlington a try this week or the Gibralter Pub section after tea for a few hours.
Sounds a plan 👍🏻

Think you'll get a few fish anywhere the boats allow now it's warmed up as the fish seem to be in full summer feeding mode now. A more experienced canal angler than me would probably empty it now I just still don't quite know what I'm doing on it compared to a river or Stillwater 😅

What a beautiful place to fish. Nice report fella with some lovely pics. Well done. Thank you. 👍
Thanks mate and yes it's not a bad spot to have 10 minutes down the road conveniently on a club ticket that's for sure!