Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Matt,
(or anyone elae who knows!)
Yesterday, I caught this Brownie

I returned him as I didnt fancy his Tail Fin!
All ragged.

My son phoned me just after and said this damage is often caused during feeding frenzy in the stock ponds, as he had just seen a TV programme showing this.

Now , according to my club book, they do stock this area.

Would you agree that's all it is, or is it a disease.?

If it's a disease, should I report it?

Here,s a close up, didn't show very well in 1st pic.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug_e0.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 23 April 2002 06:31:13 AM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The fish itself looks in fine condition. Apart from the chance that it is a stocked fish which do suffer from ragged tails. There is the chance if its a wild brownie that it spawned over the winter. As it cuts the redds (gravel) to lay its eggs the tail suffers.
There does not appear to be any sign of disease so those are my two bets. Hope this helps. John

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks John,
I had hoped that.
it fought ok and looked ace apart from that ugly tail.

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Cyprinid_boy

A number of years ago the most common method of growing trout involved concrete raceways. These utilized high flow rates allowing increased stocking densities. This method of farming caused major fin abrasions on over 75% of the fish resulting in many being deemed useless for re-stocking. These days the very few brownies grown for re-stocking are started in fibreglass tanks then brought on via earthen ponds. These growing facilities cause minimal damage to the fish. I imagine the damage to the fish was sustained in the natural environment I like the redd building theory. It doesnt look like fin rot as all of the fins would yield damage.

Mat

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
According to my boy Matt, the programme he saw described Trout nipping each others fins at feeding time in a 'feeding frenzy'
I'll contact him on sunday and see if he can remember programme/channel details

Thanks

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.