Another "Proud Dad" write-up

Alantherose

Site Supporter
With the promise of slightly milder weather for the weekend, Zachary and I headed out to Rising Sun fishery in Alne, North Yorkshire. Comprising two small match lakes and a larger “specimen” lake, Rising Sun is a cracking little fishery with a very strong head of Ide and carp in the match lakes and some serious lumps in the specimen lake. We’ve fished the match lakes a few times, and as Zach wanted to catch Ide we plumped for the same again.

We set up with the wind off our backs and I got Zachary fishing at about eight metres (a depth of roughly five feet) with an AS3 and a strung out shotting pattern. I expected that if the Ide were up in the water we would get bites on the drop, and if not, we’d catch plenty on the bottom. Elastic was a size thirteen Preston Duraslip (the white one), as although he was after Ide there was a very strong possibility of a rogue carp (it’s great elastic as it’s soft enough not to bump a silver, but will easily manage a good carp)! Nevertheless, on an 0.10 hooklength and a Drennan silverfish maggot hook (size 18 with a couple of red maggots) it would be a mission if we hooked a bigger one.

The older gentleman two swims to our right had been there all morning apparently, and had not even had a bite fishing on feeder (perhaps it was because he was talking so loudly!) By the time he packed it in forty-five minutes after we started, Zach had put eight decent Ide in the net. The poor chap ambled over muttering something about the fish being up in the water, and was more than a bit surprised to hear me say that all ours were taking just as the final shot settled!

Also struggling was the poor guy directly to our left. He fished feeder all afternoon and didn’t get a sniff. To make matters worse, Zach handed me the pole for the last twenty minutes of our session (he was worn out by then), the float slowly buried, I strike and… thwunk! Ah, the rogue carp!!! Twenty minutes later a nice common just shy of 8lb was in the net. We were all smiles of course, and a nice chap from Thirsk stopped to offer moral support and help Zach guess the weight. We were pretty surprised to land it really, as even with forgiving elastic an 0.10 hooklength didn't give us much margin for error!

After that we decided to call it a day- and a very good day it was too. We ended with 30lb of fish, 22lb of which were Ide (plus one crucian). Probably 20lb of that was Zachary’s hard work and I was super proud of him again- he fished like a boss! There were a couple of guys fishing opposite (in an unofficial match apparently) and they couldn’t have caught much more than him, and maybe even less to be honest. All the fish were taken on red maggots, and we didn’t even get through a pint by feeding little and often throughout the whole session. Photos attached as it was our first time with a keep-net, meaning we could have a good look at our hard won spoils :)

Roll on the next session this week!

Rising Sun (2021-03-27).jpg Rising Sun .jpg Rising Sun 3.jpg Rising Sun 4.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds good to me 👍🏻

Something a bit different a bag of ide you don't see them very often

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
With the promise of slightly milder weather for the weekend, Zachary and I headed out to Rising Sun fishery in Alne, North Yorkshire. Comprising two small match lakes and a larger “specimen” lake, Rising Sun is a cracking little fishery with a very strong head of Ide and carp in the match lakes and some serious lumps in the specimen lake. We’ve fished the match lakes a few times, and as Zach wanted to catch Ide we plumped for the same again.

We set up with the wind off our backs and I got Zachary fishing at about eight metres (a depth of roughly five feet) with an AS3 and a strung out shotting pattern. I expected that if the Ide were up in the water we would get bites on the drop, and if not, we’d catch plenty on the bottom. Elastic was a size thirteen Preston Duraslip (the white one), as although he was after Ide there was a very strong possibility of a rogue carp (it’s great elastic as it’s soft enough not to bump a silver, but will easily manage a good carp)! Nevertheless, on an 0.10 hooklength and a Drennan silverfish maggot hook (size 18 with a couple of red maggots) it would be a mission if we hooked a bigger one.

The older gentleman two swims to our right had been there all morning apparently, and had not even had a bite fishing on feeder (perhaps it was because he was talking so loudly!) By the time he packed it in forty-five minutes after we started, Zach had put eight decent Ide in the net. The poor chap ambled over muttering something about the fish being up in the water, and was more than a bit surprised to hear me say that all ours were taking just as the final shot settled!

Also struggling was the poor guy directly to our left. He fished feeder all afternoon and didn’t get a sniff. To make matters worse, Zach handed me the pole for the last twenty minutes of our session (he was worn out by then), the float slowly buried, I strike and… thwunk! Ah, the rogue carp!!! Twenty minutes later a nice common just shy of 8lb was in the net. We were all smiles of course, and a nice chap from Thirsk stopped to offer moral support and help Zach guess the weight. We were pretty surprised to land it really, as even with forgiving elastic an 0.10 hooklength didn't give us much margin for error!

After that we decided to call it a day- and a very good day it was too. We ended with 30lb of fish, 22lb of which were Ide (plus one crucian). Probably 20lb of that was Zachary’s hard work and I was super proud of him again- he fished like a boss! There were a couple of guys fishing opposite (in an unofficial match apparently) and they couldn’t have caught much more than him, and maybe even less to be honest. All the fish were taken on red maggots, and we didn’t even get through a pint by feeding little and often throughout the whole session. Photos attached as it was our first time with a keep-net, meaning we could have a good look at our hard won spoils :)

Roll on the next session this week!

Rising Sun (2021-03-27).jpg Rising Sun .jpg Rising Sun 3.jpg Rising Sun 4.jpg
Great day out ,lovely ✍ up ,great pictures , and very good set up and fishing 🎣

Simon R

Site Supporter
Are the lakes fuller than usual - there's usually a few inches from peg level to water level - from the photo it looks like it could flood at any second.

That's probably going to me my destination for the next trip out now going a bit further afield is allowed once again.
Doesn't look like it'll be until after Easter though - although that's perhaps not a bad thing as I suspect many fisheries will be very busy over the long Bank Holiday weekend.

Simon

Last edited:

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Are the lakes fuller than usual - there's usually a few inches from peg level to water level - from the photo it looks like it could flood at any second.

That's probably going to me my destination for the next trip out now going a bit further afield is allowed once again.
Doesn't look like it'll be until after Easter though - although that's perhaps not a bad thing as I suspect many fisheries will be very busy over the long Bank Holiday weekend.

Simon
Hi Simon, yeah it's probably about a foot above what it usually is. Still fishing great though :)

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Thats a great report and even better angling form the young man.
My days report went like this tuned up chucked a feeder in loads caught 4 skmmers and one bream went home. Same as my school report has potential could do better. Card res been closed since last lock down.