Another pole question possible upgrade

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter
I've currently got a drennan acolyte carp pole the original purchased 2nd hand however it had more damage than anticipated and I csnt source spares as drennan don't make it anymore I've got 8 top kits and a couple of no 3 and 4 sections which also fit the newer acolyte Pro carp range. No other sections fit tho.

Due to the lack of spares I've been looking at my options I could save up and get a acolyte Pro carp and then my top kits are interchangeable and I could sell on my acolyte for about £450 ish to recoup some cost but the pro is expensive.

I've been looking around and I've come across the daiwa MW4 which I can get for around the same price as the acolyte Pro or the browning xitan z6-2 at a great sub £1000 offer price the browning looks a great pole but I csnt find any reviews or comparison to my existing setup. I mainly fish my club lake which is sometimes silver fishing and F1 and skimmers when you get the right peg for it.

Would the z6-2 be a good all rounder, or the daiwa being offered as a all rounder and the compatibility of daiwa sections across older models etc or is it worth saving for the acolyte Pro as I'm not desperate to upgrade yet.

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter

IanG1

Site Supporter
I have an original Xitan Z8 which will be pretty damn close to a Z6-2 and can say its makes a perfect all round package. I have fished for eyes on the canal and landed double figure carp on mine and its performed superbly week in, week out. If you pair it up with a Xitan margin extreme you pretty much cover all bases including big lumps down the edges. Browning quality is very nice, not the lightest but reinforced in all the right areas and up to the job and will last you for years.

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter
I have an original Xitan Z8 which will be pretty damn close to a Z6-2 and can say its makes a perfect all round package. I have fished for eyes on the canal and landed double figure carp on mine and its performed superbly week in, week out. If you pair it up with a Xitan margin extreme you pretty much cover all bases including big lumps down the edges. Browning quality is very nice, not the lightest but reinforced in all the right areas and up to the job and will last you for years.
And do the sections off the margin and pole interchange?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Might also we worth you having a waggle of the new Preston Superium poles, If you only need 13 or 14.5m the X10 or X20 come in well under the Z6-2 price

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter
Yes all of them as its the same mandrel, I also have some of the Xitan generic C3 and D4 sections for fishing the river which aren't silly money.
Excellent thanks for taking the time to reply appreciate it

bricky72

Site Supporter
I’ve a z8 and z6 for sale
but as your tighter than a nun you not be interested lol

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
I don't know what length you need but you should be able to get the Acolyte Pro Carp BASE POLE (no kits) at 13m for under £700

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter
I don't know what length you need but you should be able to get the Acolyte Pro Carp BASE POLE (no kits) at 13m for under £700
Where would that be from I'd prefer 14.5 just to give me the extra for one of the island swims. I fish

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Anywhere. The shop just needs to order one. It's a standard product. 14.5 should be a touch under £1000

Mitomaniac

Site Supporter
Couldn't you just send it to Pole Doctor and get it fixed up?
It's had a DIY repair and now I've started using it I've found the number 7 to 13m section joint has a bit of play and sag in it especially if pushing it out with a dolly butt.

Plus I got this cheapish to see if I'd enjoy pole/match fishing and now I'm addicted and enjoying it a lot.

If I could find a good condition one of these or a sale on a acolyte Pro I'd happily get that to keep my top kits etc