Another plumbing/fitters query

John Step

Site Supporter
Its been almost 3 months since the fitting of a new "P" shaped bath. The side panels require trimming off at the bottom a few mil and also both ends round a curvaceous skirting board.
Its at its height to get it under existing tiles and is otherwise a good job.
The plumbers mate (excuse pun) a fitter who is supposed to be the bees knees with neatness and ability is proving elusive.
The panels are quite good quality and reasonably thick and I think made of plastic.

Can I cut a few mil off the bottom with a fine jigsaw blade (electric).
Would it be sandpapered safely to get a smooth edge.
Would it be better to cut the skirting perpendicular downward at the end rather than try to shape the panel.

I will give the pair of them a little while longer but I think they will have to get the elbow soon.
I have raided Youtube but all the video people seem to give examples of a nice straight, not curved panel and conveniently show examples of no skirling to cut round.
Any advice welcome.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can I cut a few mil off the bottom with a fine jigsaw blade (electric). - Yes but cut slowly otherwise the panel will melt on the cut and bond back together again behind the blade.
Ensure the panel is also supported fully on a board so that it is trapped between the board and jigsaw when cutting

Would it be sandpapered safely to get a smooth edge. - yes, just wrap a bit of 120 grit around an offcut of wood to sand it with

Would it be better to cut the skirting perpendicular downward at the end rather than try to shape the panel. - Yes and it will finish neater and stronger

When the panels have been trimmed, temporarily fit them and then mark round them on the floor.
Remove the panels and use a length of 2"x1" or similar cut into sections and screw it to the floor the thickness of the panel behind the marks.
When you refit the panels, put a blob of cheap silicone on the wood sections so that it bonds the panels to the wood once set.

You can still remove the panels at a later date for access as long as you use cheap silicone, not polymer or no-nails types

Last edited:

richox12

When I cut the END of a same/similar P shaped plastic panel (maybe 2mm or max 3mm thick) I used a fine toothed Stanley Fat Max and cleaned the edge after (back of Stanley blade & fine grit paper). Nice. But support it well when cutting as Dave says.

As above I'd be tempted to cut/remove and refit the skirting rather than profile the panel.

Dave gsx1400

Cut the bath panel with a hacksaw blade, used at an acute angle if you absolutely have to. Sand off any burrs. Preferably cut the skirting rather than the panel. If you have a bladed multi-tool its easy to cut a slot into the skirting just wide enough to accept the thinkness of the bath panel, without disturbing the skirting at all.