Another pellet soaking thread

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just some daft thoughts for tonight... I seem to have started to build up a collection of various 1l bottles of liquid that I'll need to use one way or another.

One of them is a bottle of Molasses. I did have the 'crazy' thought, what would happen if I poured a bit on my choice of pellets (4mm Coppens Coarse) and left them overnight. Now what I think would happen is the pellets would go all sticky and bind together in a way that I don't want for an open end feeder. I don't even wet my pellets with water when fishing the open end feeder as they don't come out. Even when I'm Barbel fishing I don't wet my 4mm pellets as I can make even dry pellets stay in the feeder if I want them to, just by giving them a bit of a squeeze. So I'm just going to use the Molasses with my groundbait, a bit mixed in with the water I mix it up with. Molasses might be a good binder for pellets on the method but I don't really fish the method.

The other one is Hinders Elips Oil. I have the same thoughts with this, about what would happen if I soak some 4mm Coppens Coarse overnight in a bit of it. I think this would work quite well? Any thoughts on that? Should I just be using the Elips Oil on my hookbaits... maybe soaking a few larger pellets in it... or go for the whole lot and soak my 'loosefeed' in it too? I don't want to overpower the fish, and think it might mean my hookbait (usually a dumbell) would stand out more if I didn't. That's for Barbel fishing btw, the Molasses is for Bream.

Told you it was daft, but on my mind nonetheless.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I used to oil pellets but that was only hookbaits to make them last longer on the hook when F1 fishing, never really been a fan of flavours as they have made little to no difference in my fishing on commercials, on rivers I think there's less chance of over powering it, I use a fair amount of garlic on static single baits.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The molasses basically I will sack off the idea and just use it on my groundbait, might as well seeing as I bought it. But the Elips Oil I'm serious about using on my 4mm Coppens I put through the feeder, do wonder if it will make my hookbait stand out less but worth a try. The Garlic sounds good. (y)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
The molasses basically I will sack off the idea and just use it on my groundbait, might as well seeing as I bought it. But the Elips Oil I'm serious about using on my 4mm Coppens I put through the feeder, do wonder if it will make my hookbait stand out less but worth a try. The Garlic sounds good. (y)
I do what I know mate, not set in my ways but certain things work for me after experimenting for a few years, you need to try stuff and see what works, doesn't take long to switch back to something you rely on.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If you find the molasses works we have 25,000 litres sat in a tank out the back of our grain store :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I hope the molasses works! As much as my plain old 4mm Coppens Coarse do... I buy them in bulk and they work, I put it down to them being quite oily.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Conversations on the bank at Mote Park,

Wassat your mixing in your groundbait ??

Its a bit of Micky !

WTF is micky ?

your find out me old Treacle !

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo .......You're seriously overthinking this pellet soaking/molasses/ groundbait thing mate....;)(y).....Fishing is a simple thing....(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Will be able to get some pics up of my Elips soaked Coppens in a few weeks when I can go Barbel fishing. It's just things I've tagged onto orders that I now need to put some thought in how to use. :LOL:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m really surprised you didn’t take molasses on your Tench fishing trip Zerkalo mate. I’ve found it brilliant for tench and bream. So so sweet. Don’t go overdoing though pal. You don’t need much in your water. 👍

squimp

Site Supporter
As has been said molasses is a good ground bait additive for bream and tench. It works for carp too.

It is awkward stuff to use unless you just add it to the water before mixing.

you could thin it slightly and then use as a glug/dip for feeders or PVA bags.

the Elips oil is more user friendly - it would be a good pellet soak and also a glug/dip for feeders/bags.

you should also try the latter on the bream - they like fishy pellets; and sweet baits aren’t always the answer. Carp anglers who use fishy boilies and fishy pellets often get plagued by bream.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used maggots on my Tench session... could always have dipped the maggots in molasses. 1l will last me ages just mixing with groundbait. 😁

squimp

Site Supporter
Another thought, molasses is much cheaper if you buy it in horse feed suppliers rather than tackle shops.

I used maggots on my Tench session... could always have dipped the maggots in molasses. 1l will last me ages just mixing with groundbait. 😁
good idea.

rudd

Site Supporter
Please consider:
The molasses will go off and the oil rancid.

If worried about the oil, soak a quarter of your intended session amount and mix with the other 3/4 non soaked pellets.