Another one looking for a new pole

Foul hooked

Just been reading through a recent thread regarding purchase of a new pole and had similar queries.
Ideally sub £1k, although prepared to stretch the budget a little (but not too much)

As this would mainly be used for pleasure fishing (don't enter matches any more) on the canal/river, and (very) occasionally on my local lakes where, although targeting silvers, there is a good head of F1s and carp up to about 10lbs. As such 14,5M is usually adequate.
My criteria are must be fairly rigid and lightweight (I am not as strong as i used to be)
Come with all the usual top kits and accessories etc.
I have been considering the MAP TKS 301 G3, the Maver MVR performance or the Preston protype but would be interested to know if anyone has any experience of these, what they are like to actually use, or if there are better alternatives out there.

J W

John
Site Supporter
I would definitely have a look at the Matrix MTX 2. I spent a good hour in the shop comparing with the MAP 301 and Preston and went with the Matrix. I've been really pleased with it and it's been superb for silvers on my club waters and carp on commercials. Just my view, though. I'm sure they'll be lots of recommendations.

Best thing is get to a shop with a decent pole alley and waggle a few.

Foul hooked

Thanks guys. Have been taking a look at the Matrix too. It seems to me that the MTX 3 Ultra 16 is a fair bit lighter when used at 13/14,5 than the Mtx2 and also comes with an extra match top 2, but is it really worth almost half as much again? Not that i am tight fisted but as i would not likely to be fishing this at 16m very often i am wondering if the extra weight of the MTX2 is really a major issue when compared to the price difference (extra match top 2 kits are available for around £60 so that is not a major price contributor)

guitarslinger

Thanks guys. Have been taking a look at the Matrix too. It seems to me that the MTX 3 Ultra 16 is a fair bit lighter when used at 13/14,5 than the Mtx2 and also comes with an extra match top 2, but is it really worth almost half as much again? Not that i am tight fisted but as i would not likely to be fishing this at 16m very often i am wondering if the extra weight of the MTX2 is really a major issue when compared to the price difference (extra match top 2 kits are available for around £60 so that is not a major price contributor)
Not sure if i'm reading correctly, but the MTX3 has total of 4 match kits - 1 in the pole, and 3 extra. Plus the 3 power kits.
One thing that does niggle is there is no tube to allow you to store the match kit in the pole made up...ultimately. Bit annoying....but i hope santa is bringing me a preston top kit case for christmas. :)

guitarslinger

Also - the top kits are the ultra ones at £80 a pop. So +£240 ish for the kits, puts you at £1039 rrp. Can you justify the extra couple of hundred for the weight saving?
Also - i'm finding it hard to see the MTX2 advertised many places at the minute?... Bristol Angling and out of stock at AD....seems a bit odd.

J W

John
Site Supporter
MTX2 is fine at 13m. Bit heavy at 14.5m but still perfectly fishable. I would say if you're going to fish a lot at 14.5m then maybe go for the MTX3 or something else at 16m

MTX2 comes with 4 power kits and 1 match kit. Extra match kits are about £40 so no great shakes if you needed extras.

Hope this helps bud.

Foul hooked

Seems a lot of support for the MTX here (both versions). As i am not particularly accomplished with the pole or fish matches just wondering the advantage of all those extra top kits? My current pole only has two, one match & one for carp (actually only one since i broke the match one) but is really a horrible thing. Usually if i want to change rigs i just put a different one on as speed is not really of the essence but i suppose it would be useful to be easy to switch to a different line, depth etc without having to attach a new rig each time. As my current (soon to be very much ex) pole weighs in at around 1100g at 11m it is practically unusable for me at this length so i am very conscious of the weight and balance being important. Would rather pay extra for something that can be used to its full potential rather than having two sections that never come out of the tube but it is a big price difference. It would be nice to compare all the options in one place but nobody round here seems to stock all of them, even the local angling direct shop.

piscatorial

Another one to look at is the Maver Oculus XS 799, slightly lighter than the MTX3 about £200 cheaper but 2 less top kits.

Foul hooked

Liking the lightness of the Occulus, only downside is cant seem to find any apare match kits on their website, only the power kits?
Beginning to look like my original shortlist doesn't seem to have many fans.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
match top 3 for the oculus is about 80 quid butt the top kits for the oculus are powerlite kits which are light and strong, i have the original 799 not the newer xs model and i cant fault the pole, use map short shalla kits on it also use the map tks match kits on it as they fit, so you dont have to get more expensive top kits as other will fit the pole

Paul.P

Consider the tricast perception, same price as the matrix, both great poles for the money, tricast made here & normally great after sales service, although been a bit indifferent during the lockdowns due to staff being on furlough, but i expect thats the same for most if not all.